How many calories will be Maintenance for you?

Options
Maintenance according to MFP is 1650 for me. I ate that much yesterday and it said I will stay at 155 if I continue to eat 1650. I am 5ft 5inches.. that sure don't seem like much. I played with it and when I enter more it says I will gain...

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    For my current weight, it's 2300.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I maintain on about 2300 a day with a BMI of 18.5.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    My current maintenance is about 2500/day. I'm 5'6", 184lbs, and I exercise 4-5 times a week.

When I get to goal, I'm guessing maintenance will be 2300 or so.
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    According to TDEE calculators right now my TDEE is about 2300, but MFP generally thinks I will gain weight if I eat 2000 calories.
  • allie491
    allie491 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Right around 2000, I think it's 2025. I am currently set at a .5 per week weight loss, so I am eating 1780.
  • alzaman5925
    alzaman5925 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'm 4ft 10in - at my current weight of 118lbs I should be able to maintain with 1,620 calories a day depending on my activity levels.

At my goal weight of 98lbs, my maintenance cals will be 1,485.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure yet, but I already know it's higher than what MFP says.
  • sbermud
    sbermud Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Okay thanks for the replies
  • corneredbycorn
    corneredbycorn Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I am 5' tall. Maintenance for me is between 1700-2000. I find MFP tends to suggest too few calories in general, for weight loss and maintenance.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Calories feel like a lot or a little depending on what you eat. 1650 is almost 300 calories more than I'm eating now, which is very comfortable for me most days. I'm 5'10" and older than I expect you are.

What makes those calories comfortable is . . .

I walk an hour or so a day pretty fast, which buys me a few hundred extra calories
    I eat very little bread, rice, potatoes, or pre-packaged foods, which all have a lot of calories. I only drink once a week, and rarely more than 200 calories.
    I eat everything I like, but in small portions. So I'll eat a square of high quality chocolate (35 calories) or a 1/4 cup of ice cream (85).

You can eat 2000 calories on a big greasy burger or more veggies than you can fit in your stomach. It's your choice.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I'm not at maintenance and I am not sure what that # will be. But if anyone is interested in those that have been in maintenance and their #s and activity level, here's a link to that -

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/816542-let-s-hear-it-for-maintainenance
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    5'2" 125 lbs
    maintaining for a year eating between 1900-2500/day.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    MFP was off by about 300 calories, so its ~2200 (when I don't exercise).
  • nicleed
    nicleed Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I'm currently maintaining at 67kgs on 1850-1900 + exercise cals. Been at maintenance about a month and have continued to lose a little weight. Christmas set me back a little but I am still below my original goal weight. I'm 5'9" and 44 years old.
  • laurynwithawhy
    laurynwithawhy Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm doing Eat more to Weigh Less, so I have a small deficit and eat about 1700 calories to lose .25 lbs/week. I think my maintenance will be about 1900 calories once I'm at goal. I think the MFP calculator is screwy, even if I eat about 1900 calories now it tells me that I will lose a little or stay the same, but when I was eating 1200 calories it told me I would gain on 1600. Obviously something's not right.
  • tashaa1992
    tashaa1992 Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    My maintenance is a little over 2000, I'm 4ft 10in and 98.4lbs so this seems like alot! I'm not even that active.
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    4000 - something like that...
    With no exercise it's around 2500.
    There are TDEE calculators that give a close estimate, but it varies daily, and the only sure way to get close is to validate your estimate through proper tracking.
    Good Luck
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I owuld double check your activity level. I have a desk job, but had to set mine to a high activity level to get it to line up with my actual maintenance number (which is around 2100 at 5'3"). The only way to know for sure is to try it.

The best way to try is to err on the side of more calories, and back off if you gain weight, because coming in from the other side, too little calories, and you may be artificially lowering your TDEE, cheating yourself out of food! Don't be afraid of going over a little- it would take 500 extra calories a day to gain a lb in a week, so you would really have to go way over to do any serious damage. If you end up gaining 1/2 lb, you can take it back off in another week. It shouldn't be terribly stressful.
  • mooowi
    mooowi Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I had a surgery and coulden't walk for 7 months and counted calories so I didn't gain weight like I did after my last injury. (broke my foot and gained like 80 pounds in 4 months first time in my life I didnt work out 1+ hour a day). I ate about 3200 calories a day and lost 12 pounds during that span with 0 physical activity so I guess its a little over that. Prob like 3400 calories a day.
  • HeatherSanto
    HeatherSanto Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I can't wait til I get to the point where I need to know that number. I gain weight SUPER easy so it will probably be around 1650 - 1800 I'd guess for me. I'm 5'10.