• Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    Gimme.

MINE:angry:
  • GypsySoul_74
    GypsySoul_74 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    here's the deal on alcohol: when you drink, your body immediately begins to metabolize the calories from the alcohol. specifically, we're talking about the portion of the liquor, beer, mixed drink or spirit that is pure alcohol. because alcohol, even once converted to sugar, is not a true carbohydrate, the body has great difficulty storing those calories in any usable way--which means you'll likely metabolize and excrete the pure alcohol and not store it as fat.

HOWEVER--the rest of your drink; any sugar or carbs from liquor or beer, any calories from mixers, etc. will act as normal calories which can and will be stored as fat if they are surplus to what your body needs for the day. plus--here's the clincher--because your body is fast-tracking the pure alcohol through your digestive system, anything you eat while you're drinking (or afterward) is highly more likely to be "saved for later" in the form of fat, because your body cannot process it simultaneously to the pure alcohol.

alcohol has also been proven to slow fat metabolism by inhibiting lipid oxidation. here's a study on that one if you're interested:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC329642/

long story short: yes, you should absolutely log your alcohol calories. they're as dangerous as, if not more so than, calories from regular food & drink. just allot a little extra and enjoy--that's what i'm planning to do :)
  • Fluffywhip
    Options
    I track them. Alcohol usually goes in my snack column. lol I don't drink nearly as much as a used to and it's because I found out how many calories are in all my favorite drinks.
  • wcso911mn
    wcso911mn Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I have read a studywhere calories from spirits dont cause weight gain

Only on Saturday.

And on Sundays during football season.
  • wcso911mn
    wcso911mn Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big drinker myself, but do like to partake in a fru-fru drink or 2 a few times a year (mainly orange juice and vodka, or pineapple juice and malibu rum). I know for sure those have calories in them, mainly from the juices, so I plan on leaving room in my food diary for them tonight. :wink:
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Do you track your alcohol calories? Not that i am a alcoholic but enjoy a drink everyone in a while. I have read a studywhere calories from spirits dont cause weight gain

This could be what you read.:drinker:
    http://www.leangains.com/2010/07/truth-about-alcohol-fat-loss-and-muscle.html
  • Bridget0927
    Bridget0927 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I know what your talking about I read the same thing, something about the body not using the calories from it somehow or not atb the amt that is listed.

I dont count it.
  • aaworm
    Options
    yes I count them.
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Do you track your alcohol calories? Not that i am a alcoholic but enjoy a drink everyone in a while. I have read a studywhere calories from spirits dont cause weight gain
    Cite that study.....I need some good comedy...:laugh:

I have been doing some independent research on this topic. So far my findings indicate that alcohol calories do count. Planning on doing a double blind study tonight...
    :laugh: :laugh:
    I'll be a part of this great contribution to health science.
    Just don't put me in the boring control group.
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I think if I didn't count them I would drink more so this limits me. But spiking my diet water or light cranberry or cherry juice has not hurt my weightloss because then I would just eat more garbage to get my calories in after hitting my protein and fiber goals. I also take more ibuprofen and wake up more stiff and sore without alcohol the night before so a little has benefits for me.:tongue:
  • halobender
    halobender Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Just don't put me in the boring control group.
    :laugh:

I've lost a lot of weight while still drinking. I take it into consideration with my daily calorie allotment, though.
  • WVmom24
    WVmom24 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I'm too scared to post my alcohol calories honestly. I only drink once every couple weeks, but when I do it's a good 15 drinks. My favorite are Johnny Bootlegger cocktails sold at the gas station...they're like little martinis. About 150 cals per bottle, and I can go through 10 easily if I've also eaten. It's just staggering lol.