Just rowing/cycling for weight loss? - Weights?

Options
Hi,

On the start of my journey to losing circa 100lb, currently weigh 139.5 kg, wanting to weigh 110kg as a starting goal. I am using myfitnesspal fine, keeping to my calorie goal etc, however in terms of exercise is rowing on the concept 2 indoor rowers fine, using the petes plan, and cycling, or do I need to get on that treadmill? I am male, 20 years old, feel comfortable hitting the treadmill after a bit of weight loss first, also, should I be doing any weights at the moment or just lose weight first then start the toning up?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    running and rowing are tops for cardiovascular fitness. If I'm giving my knees a break, I always row if I can....

It's a GREAT workout!
  • dantrick
    dantrick Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    yup, lift weights. It will help you retain some muscle while losing fat. Muscle helps burn fat.
  • SatchGallamax
    SatchGallamax Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Weights = amazing, so I highly recommend them. However, I did have a friend lose over 60 lbs by eating better and cycling alone (outdoors, and a LOT of it).
  • mayweather13
    mayweather13 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    running and rowing are tops for cardiovascular fitness. If I'm giving my knees a break, I always row if I can....

It's a GREAT workout!

In terms of weights, where do I go as I am a total noob, for information in this regard. Cardio etc I feel confident pretty straight forward but weights seem rather difficult and complexed.
  • georgina1970
    georgina1970 Posts: 333 Member
    Options

It's a GREAT workout!

In terms of weights, where do I go as I am a total noob, for information in this regard. Cardio etc I feel confident pretty straight forward but weights seem rather difficult and complexed.

Join a local gym, or get a personal trainer. It's important to learn how to lift correctly to avoid injuries. Have fun!