body fat %

Options
I am currently 25%BF and I want to get down to 20% maybe even 18%...I'm currently 145 and back when I was 130lbs I was still 23%bf. IDK how to get the fat off and not just lose water and muscle.... I'm doing walk.jog/run intervals and JM exercise DVDs and weights. I'm almost 5'6", Female, 28 years old and I just want to lose the last 5%BF and look slim and not so chunky and blubbery. Also, how long should I expect it to take to lose 1 pound?...

Replies

• SierraElegance
    SierraElegance Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I'm the same height as you, and even around the time of my bikini competitions my body fat % was still high-- at least so I thought for how thin I was. I would say don't focus on your body fat at all, you'll know when you have the look you want. It's just another number to make us crazy! Clean eating is the only thing that will get you there-- no processed foods, get rid of stuff like wheat, sugar, and dairy. No soda, etc.

I know I look my best at around 125 or slightly less, but I can't get under 120 unless I'm competing (and that was only the first time). It really isn't about the number, just be consistent and keep working hard!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Ok, my bf% is ridiculously high, but from what others have said, building muscle is the way to go. If you look at body builders, they go through cycles of bulking and cutting. Obviously most people don't want to be body builders, but the science is sound. In a bulk, you gain both muscle and fat, in a cut you can lose fat and preserve muscle if you lift heavy. I'd suggest lifting heavy in addition to what you are doing. If you are looking to build muscle, you will need to eat more calories than you need. If you want to preserve the muscle you have and just lose fat, eat at a minor deficit and lift heavy. (Again, this is from the experience of others I've seen around the forum.)

Staci, my personal superhero:
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    If you are going to eat at a deficit, be sure you are eating plenty of protein, at least 1 gm per lb. of lean body mass, in order to keep as much muscle as possible. Your workouts sound good, but auddil is right that you need some weight training. You don't have to "lift heavy" unless you want to, but if you do, go for it. I'm 47, 5'3" and around 20% body fat (currently about 19.5%, but it's up and down) and I work out with weights 3 days a week (one day in the weight room (but not very heavy), one kettlebell class, and one body pump class) and I've managed to maintain my muscle mass for the most part. I also do cardio 3 days a week (one spin class, one long walk for half marathon training, one body vive class). Good luck!
  • TXHunny84
    TXHunny84 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks everyone! I'll try lifting heavier than I have been and eating more cleanly.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Eat at a reasonably small caloric deficit (250 - 500 cals a day) and strength train. Get enough protein (at least 1g per lb of LBM).
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Eat at a reasonably small caloric deficit (250 - 500 cals a day) and strength train. Get enough protein (at least 1g per lb of LBM).
    ^ This. Exactly.