Paleo vs. Dukan vs. Low Carb

Options
2»

Replies

• Thesoundofwolf
    Thesoundofwolf Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Unless you got special dietary needs, these planned out diets are all the same- intense thought processes on food. And generally expensive. But they do one thing I agree, and is good for you- they make you think about your food.

My two cents is to eat smart, and be conscious of whats in your food, less about a set diet. It works for people, yes, but if you really don't know out of choices- then maybe it's not over all a good idea.

A lot of them have really hard rules. And make it awkward being with family/friends/social gathers. Like the vegans preaching about blood mouths at a BBQ.

Just by watching what you eat, and knowing/learning your food better, is weight loss if you stick to it. It's all about -sticking to it- however in the long run.
  • KymberlyAtwell
    Options
    Thank you all so very much!! I truly appreciate everyones responses and help. I know that I have to find a way to live and maintain, that's why I'm asking about this. Low Carb, Paleo, and Dukan are all ways of life, from what I've read anyway. I don't want another DIET. I by no means think I have mastered this, otherwise I wouldn't be wanting to lose 100 pounds. I wouldn't be on this site! I'm QUEEN of Yo-Yo Dieting. Period. I have done it my whole life. I work out, eat right, lose it, then slowly start introducing the crap back into my life, slowly cut back my gym time, and before I know it, I'm the chubby girl again. I know me, I know I have NO self control when it comes to carbs. I lost the 40 pounds in two months from eating things I like, staying under a specific calorie goal, and exercising daily for 45 minutes to an hour 5-6 days a week. It was simple and easy, but I got bored with the elliptical and treadmill, dealt with a major death in the family, and never got back to it. All are excuses, I'm aware of it. I'm just the girl that needs a controlled environment and packaged or pre-portioned food, or else I'll overeat because my willpower is lacking. HUGE!

The reason I'm wanting to consider this lifestyle change with the Dukan or Paleo, is because it makes sense to me and seems like it would be an easy transition, having this group of foods to eat from, and overall being able to get healthy, and MAINTAIN a healthy lifestyle going forward. I am done with the yo-yoing or extreme exercising, just to lose it quick and gain it right back. Please don't think I'm looking for a quick fix! I just know there are a lot of people on here with a lot of experience, history, and I value the input. :)
  • jenniferadouglas
    jenniferadouglas Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I eat low carb (around 40 a day) and it is extremely easy for me. I like doing low carb because I never have to think about what I eat and I can essentially go to any restaurant and find something I want! I also feel way better when I eat more protein and fat. The one treat I love are the Udo's brand chocolate squares. I will eat one or two of those little squares a day and I love them. They are a healthy fat mixed with chocolate. Yummy :) I highly recommend a good powder or liquid multi vitamin. My favorite liquid multi is Multi Muscle. I know they say it is for athletes but it has a lot of great vitamins and gives me extra energy. I also like the Barlean's Greens Supplements (chocolate and berry flavors). I also recommend a healthy fat supplement like Udo's oil if you're doing low carb. If you want help with low carb, private message me and I can send you some more information!
  • KymberlyAtwell
    Options
    Thank you! I'll definitely keep that in mind and keep my eyes peeled.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Good Afternoon,

Anyone that's come a long way, I'm curious what your thoughts are. I need a total overhaul for 2013. I lost 40 pounds in 2012, the healthy way, then gained 65 back. I deserve better than this, my sweet husband deserves a hot wife, and I basically am tired of feeling like crap. I know how to gain and lose weight pretty well, but want to try something different so I can break this cycle.

In one year that is a fast loss and fast gain, are you really doing this the healthy way or setting up unsustainable habits? That equates to two pounds a week loss for twenty weeks then two pounds a week gain for the other thirty two weeks. Maybe aim to lose just one pound a week and don't deprive yourself?

ETA you lost 40 pounds in just eight weeks? That is too fast to only be fat loss, it's over four pounds a week! Your exercise routine sounded boring, try high intensity interval training and weights, gym classes like BodyPump, Spinning and Boxercise. Mix it up, make it hard, set yourself a challenge like running a 5K for charity. Get your husband on your team. Less quantity more quality of exercise.
  • iampanda
    iampanda Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    The method is FAR less important than the commitment you make to it. Find something you can stick with long term and do it. A program, regardless of how "good" it is only works if you can stick to it.

I agree with this ^^^ It doesn't matter what program you chose- its not going to work and stay off if you aren't willing to stick with it long-term. People tend to forget that what you do to take the weight off, you need to continue to keep it off. Good luck!
  • Modern_athena
    Modern_athena Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'm following the paleo diet (except I eat diary products because I love them :P). Paleo is the best you can do. You'd have to give up legumes,grains, wheat and sugar for good though. It requires you eat moderate amount of fats and proteins. It's also one of the easiest diets; you don't have to follow weekly phases. But your body might go into a detoxification period where it learns to use fat instead of carbohydrates as a source of energy. After that, you'll lose weight, feel less hungry and have fewer cravings for sugar.
    Keep in mind that when going paleo, it's all about being natural. No synthesized products, sweeteners and so on and you only eat when you're hungry; onetime I went a whole day without food because I just wasn't hungry.

But I agree with the others, if you can't follow this diet; then try another one. Any low carb diet should be fine.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    The real issue is not which diet plan will work or not work. the question that you have to answer for yourself is why, after losing weight and getting more healthy, do you go back to bad eating habits and why do you not catch it along the way. I mean it is gaining back that amount of weight doesn't just sneak up on you.

You likely could benefit from some counseling about the issues around your relationship with food and a program designed by a registered dietician with your docTor's supervision. I just don't see going to a new diet plan as being a long term answer. Any of these diets will work or not work. A nutrient dense whole food diet with a reasonable calorie deficit will work or not work. The variable in the equation is YOU! I know what I'm recommending is expensive and time consuming but why would it be any different this time? And what is your health worth to you?
  • janienpurple
    Options
    Hello, I did "Tony Ferguson" here in Australia which follows the same principle's of Atkins no carb, I lost 45kgs and kept it off without effort for 3yrs, I gained alot back when I went on a medication so am now back doing the low carb thing,. I personally find I feel great having less carbs, I feel less bloated/sluggish and lighter and it definetly works so I recommend it. Good luck! xxx
  • janienpurple
    Options
    Oh and I mean't to say also, I slowly started reintroducing carbs and still managed to keeo the weight off, I just never went back to having carbs everyday for lunch and dinner which is what I had previously done., I also found after the first month of no carbs, no sugar etc, if I did try to eat something with carbs or sweet, I know longer enjoyed it. The sweet things tasted far too sickly and I didnt like the way carbs left my stomach feeling bloated so realised I was better off without them.