Logging calories burned

Options
How much do you really trust the calorie counters on the treadmills and elliptical, etc? I am thinking I should really maybe not even take mine into consideration when "eating my calories" because when I go to the gym, the treadmill says A LOT more calories were burned then when I do the exact same work out at home on a different treadmill. And the funny thing is, mine at home is less calories but seems harder. A speed of 4.0 at home keeps my heart rate up pretty good, but at the gym I feel it's not as challenging. My machine at home isn't as new or in the best of shape as the gym ones so maybe this could be a contributing factor? I was just curious how much other people really trust them. Do you log them to the T or just kind of round it to a general number for reference in your logs?

Replies

• lovetiffany
    lovetiffany Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I log mine for what it says, but I take it with a grain of salt at the same time. I don't ever think I burned exactly what they tell me I did,but I don't mind too much if my calorie count is off by 50-100 each day. I probably should, but I don't like the idea of finding one more thing to stress over lol. Life gives you way too many worries as it is :p
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Machines are huge over estimators. Most are set for a 30 yr old 150 lb man which few of us are. My treadmill and elliptical give huge burns that are sometimes 3 times as much as my HRM says. I don't eat exercise calories back so it doesn't much matter but you could be over eating using those numbers.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    my calories are logged on my BMF, which for me has been 95% accurate for as long as i've been using it. I totally trust it, i'd never trust the machines they always say i burned more than my BMF.
  • jlqt2000
    jlqt2000 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    my calories are logged on my BMF, which for me has been 95% accurate for as long as i've been using it. I totally trust it, i'd never trust the machines they always say i burned more than my BMF.

What brand of BMF do you use? I have been looking in to getting one!