Jogging for Pear Shape body?

Options
Hi I'm thinking about doing a crazy thing...I've never really liked running but I thought I might give it a go tomorrow! I will jog very very slowly at first but I'm just wondering even after walking for 40 minutes each day I noticed muscle definition in my calves. I'm a bit worried that jogging will make my thighs a lot bigger when it's one of the main parts I would really like to be a lot smaller!!

What do you guys suggest? I was thinking yoga once a week, running once a week and salsa once a week...an hour for each I also walk 15 minutes in the morning and evening to and from work five days a week.

Replies

• Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I've never seen a runner with huge thighs except maybe the sprinters in the Olympics and they're doing major weights to get that muscle. You'll be fine to run! Go for it and have fun :)
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I have more definition in my calves from running but they aren't really bigger, just rock solid now. No jiggle in my thighs anymore either.
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    I have big thighs and I've noticed they seem to actually be getting tighter and a little smaller after I started running. I recommend it!!! I'm taking measurements tomorrow so I'll really know how much progress I've made then!
  • 1990sophia1990
    1990sophia1990 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    This is very uplifting!!! I'm definitely going to give it a go, I think I'll start with just 30 minutes at first :) It's kind of annoying though as I don't know how fast/slow I'll be running so I don't really know how to log it in to my fitness pal...
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    This is very uplifting!!! I'm definitely going to give it a go, I think I'll start with just 30 minutes at first :) It's kind of annoying though as I don't know how fast/slow I'll be running so I don't really know how to log it in to my fitness pal...

Excellent idea and avoid the hills@30 mins run.
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    I would recommend doing the couch to 5k programme if you really want to ease into running. My legs are definitely more defined since I started running. You will not bulk up. Takes a lot of commitment and strength training to bulk up! Go out and enjoy it!
  • Will606
    Options
    I don't think runnings gonna make your thighs "bigger"....firmer yes, as another poster pointed out, not bigger. Go for it!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Jogging will not make your thighs bigger.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

This.
  • MCproptart
    MCproptart Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I don't know how much to credit to what, but my calves/thighs are smaller after: Slim in 6 (Beach Body)--lots of squats in there, stationary bike for 20-40 minutes at only a level 2-3 resistance, and running/jogging/walking, "water jogging"--same arm/leg motions as elliptical, but neck high in water.

As for weight work, the general guideline is for lean, less weight, more reps; for bulk, more weight, fewer reps.

Good luck!
  • frood
    frood Posts: 295 Member
    Options

You can plot the route on Google maps to get your distance. Combine that distance with time and you have your speed.

Good luck!
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Running will make your thighs slimmer, not bigger.

I suggest alternating walking and running at first, as in the C25k program. Take it easy at first to avoid shin splints and cramps and so on--you'll be amazed how quickly you build up endurance.

Good luck!
  • 1990sophia1990
    Options
    oh thanks!! That's great you guys are amazing :D so glad I joined this site!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

Truth. You don't need to avoid hills or do anything special.

Also, there's several options for free GPS tracker apps if you have a smartphone. I use endomondo, but there's also runkeeper, runtastic, and others I'm sure. They'll tell your distance and pace.
  • childermass
    childermass Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    definitely recommend a program like couch 2 5 k, or at least do your own intervals.
    I can jog no probs on the treadmill, but get me out in the real world and it's HARD! For some reason the ground isn't moving underneath my feet at a pre programmed rate...
    Jogging will slim you down - I am a pear shape too and I HATE squats but jogging hits my butt and thighs like nothing else. Good luck!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    You've already gotten great info. I use runkeeper on my phone to track mileage and pace.
  • 1990sophia1990
    Options
    I have a blackberry can I still get it?
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I have a blackberry can I still get it?

Looks like there's some options:
    http://www.runningshoesguru.com/2011/06/5-running-apps-for-blackberry-for-2011/
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Highly recommend doing Couch to 5K if you haven't been running. Big difference between running and walking. Start off easy and make sure you have properly fitted shoes. Going out all gung ho the first time is a great way to end up with an injury.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    Excellent idea and avoid the hills@30 mins run.

If your intention is to have leaner looking legs, then choose to run a flat route and NOT one with too many hills. Long distance runners (leaner bodies - flat running course) VS sprinters (hill training for speed and agility).