Master Cleanse....

Options
So, I decided to give the master cleanse (aka lemonade cleanse) a try. I made it to the end of day two the first try. I'm planning on trying again with the goal of 5 days. I just don't know how people can do it really. I was missing texture, variety, flavor and on occasion, actually felt hungry rather than a craving. I'm also considering throwing in the towel and just sticking to my normal get back in shape approach. Everything in moderation plus exercise. I just enjoy eating actual food much more than a liquid diet.

Thoughts, ideas?

Replies

• lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I can't do them. I like to eat. I feel that if you et healthy, exercise and take care of yourself, cleanses aren't necessary . My opinion. There are supplements that help with cleansing that you can take daily and still eat a healthy diet. Good luck if you try it again.
  • lvfunandfit
    Options
    I can't do them. I like to eat. I feel that if you et healthy, exercise and take care of yourself, cleanses aren't necessary . My opinion. There are supplements that help with cleansing that you can take daily and still eat a healthy diet. Good luck if you try it again.
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    I did it once for five days...day three was the worst. I could have gone longer, but I was going to Vegas and fasting in Vegas just isn't possible!
  • Sarah219
    Options
    Hi , I am intrigued , what exactly is this??? .... I am assuming you just drink lemonade for 5 days ??????? I could never do anything like this ..i get the shakes if i dont eat ...be interested to see how you get on though ..good luck !!!! :happy: xxxxx
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    These cleansers are so dangerous. DON"T mess around with them. They can screw up your electrolytes and possibly land you in the hospital as a result. The human body is an amazing machine. It has its own cleansing system, its called you liver and kidneys. And it is done for free. All you need to do is follow a healthy diet and your own body will do what it needs on its own.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    These cleansers are so dangerous. DON"T mess around with them. They can screw up your electrolytes and possibly land you in the hospital as a result. The human body is an amazing machine. It has its own cleansing system, its called you liver and kidneys. And it is done for free. All you need to do is follow a healthy diet and your own body will do what it needs on its own.

I subscribe to this line of thinking.

The only "Master Cleanse" I do is the occasional bout of food poisoning or flu. Cleans me right out!
  • lvfunandfit
    Options
    Have you tried psyllium husk? Or Yerba Prema Colon Care?

http://www.livestrong.com/psyllium-husk-benefits/

http://www.yerba.com/storefront/item.asp?id=60

these promote a healthy colon.... safer than a cleans and all natural. You can get the same affects from a high fiber diet.
  • pannellkat
    pannellkat Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Are you doing it for detoxification/cleansing or for weight loss??

If your doing it for weight loss - girl...throw in the towel now!

I did it for 10 days straight and would never do it again for weight loss. I was fine during the cleanse - no cravings - no hunger pain - no missing of texture of food, etc. I actually had more energy than ever before and my skin was never that clear in my life...but I didn't care about that. I just wanted to lose weight QUICK! And I did....and I did gain it ALL BACK. Took a few weeks to gain it back, but I eventually did.

I've been able to eat properly, count calories, exercise and to date I have lost almost 20 lbs since November 2009 and proud of doing it the right way.
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    I did the Master Cleanse a couple of years ago. Lasted three days, it just made me sick, I stopped.

Cleanses aren't necessary at all. They really accomplish three things:

1)They flush out water/aid with water retention
    2)They flush out poop ('waste' if you prefer)
    3)They restrict food intake

At the end of a 10-day cleanse, you'll be down a LOT of weight and your tummy WILL be flatter. But this weight will just come back as soon as you eat. Your tummy is flatter because there's no food in there or poop in there. Sure, you might be down a couple pounds of fat that you've starved off, but (in my opinion) the pounds lost aren't worth the discomfort and potential damage you're doing to your body.

As far as the detoxification/cleansing 'benefits' of cleanses, keep in mind that it's not necessary to go to such lengths to cleanse your body. Water & Fibre- this is the magic combination. Up your fibre intake, drink tonnes of water. You will get your digestive system moving, and within a few days you'll notice you have to 'eliminate waste' more frequently and that it's looser, not so compacted. You will also let go of water retention. Water will detoxify you- it will do wonders for your skin, your organs, everything. Your kidneys will thank you, too! Your tummy will be flatter, you will lose a few pounds in waste and fluids... and without suffering through a cleanse!

Some people fast for religious purposes and, short term, they're not usually HARMFUL. But they can be, if you're not careful. I think it's important to assess WHY you want to do the cleanse.

Of course, what you choose to do in the end is up to you. But, you asked for opinions. :)
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    I've been able to eat properly, count calories, exercise and to date I have lost almost 20 lbs since November 2009 and proud of doing it the right way.

Also- Amen to this! I joined here in November 2009 (on the 25th, I believe). In that time, I've lost 18.5 pounds. It took me more than a YEAR to lose the same amount prior to coming here. It's been a simple matter of eating better and exercising... and I haven't been starving myself!
  • taryn_perry
    taryn_perry Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I would ditto much of what most have said on here about steering clear of this type of cleanse. It's stripping your body of all nutrients and is far from a long term solution, as it's just unloading your water weight. Not true "fat". You are setting yourself up for future weight gain, for when you come off the cleanse.

Weight loss needs to be thought of as a change in lifestyle. It's not a quick fix or anything that will happen over night. One really needs to be mindful of what you are putting into your body. Success in weight loss is 75% nutrition. Our body starves for proper nutrients to stay strong and healthy. Those nutrients come from real foods and or supplements, that will aid in weight loss.

Moral of the story - stay away from these liquid cleanses. :noway:
  • karmasBFF
    karmasBFF Posts: 699 Member
    Options

I subscribe to this line of thinking.

The only "Master Cleanse" I do is the occasional bout of food poisoning or flu. Cleans me right out!

SO ABSOLUTELY SO DANGEROUS!
  • sandmart2009
    sandmart2009 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    all these horror stories - good that you all are talking about it. A lot of people would jump in not knowing what they're getting into. :(
  • tavander
    tavander Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Some of you have echoed some of my same thoughts.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Well, I will be the odd one out................

I have been and still do the Master Cleanse with Great Success. I will be doing another cleanse at the advent of Spring in a couple of weeks.

It is not intended to be done for the sole purpose of losing weight. It should be done as a renewal, spiritual and cleansing experience.
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    I LOVE the Master Cleanse. I will also be doing it soon if my doctor will permit it with the meds I'm on. (I may only be able to go one day, but if he will allow it, I will go for five. I've never taken meds like this, so we'll have to see.)

It is not intended for weight loss. I do it for cleansing and spiritual purposes as well.

Two days is good. My longest has only been 5 days. I know someone who does 7 days every month.

As far as it being dangerous, thats if you are not doing it properly. Yes it can be dangerous. So can ExLax, Vitamin A, or even Tylenol. :laugh:
    Even my colon/rectal surgeon told me to go for it, he said there is nothing to worry about if its done properly. Before I started doing it, my surgeon was certain that I'd need surgery within 5 years. Its been almost 7 and I'm still going strong. He is a conventional MD at a major hospital. Medicine and surgery is his job, not alternative treatments that don't bring in the money to pay for his Mercedes. While he doesn't recommend it to patients, he assured me that it is not dangerous and the hype against it is overblown.

Thats just my experience. Everyone is different. Its just important to remember that these things have valid reasons for being used. Some people use Miralax every day, some people do a cleanse a few times per year. I'd rather use some cayenne, lemons, and syrup assisted with an internal salt bath than become dependent on a conventional laxitive. But thats what works for me. Its not fair for me to force that on someone else or knock thier methods.

Holly
  • knewton3033
    Options
    I have researched and researched the master cleanse and everyone is worried about calories and weight loss. ITS NOT FOR WEIGHT LOSS! It is good to fast and cleanse to clean out the toxins in your body. Again its not a diet and its not for weight loss, its a cleanser so stop calling it a diet.

And supplements arent neccesary, its hard for your body to absorb the nutrition it needs from a pill. You should recieve all you need from your food. And if you read the actual pamphlet on the master cleanser he explains that for your fast you recieve the nutrition you need from the maple sugar and lemon.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I have researched and researched the master cleanse and everyone is worried about calories and weight loss. ITS NOT FOR WEIGHT LOSS! It is good to fast and cleanse to clean out the toxins in your body. Again its not a diet and its not for weight loss, its a cleanser so stop calling it a diet.

And supplements arent neccesary, its hard for your body to absorb the nutrition it needs from a pill. You should recieve all you need from your food. And if you read the actual pamphlet on the master cleanser he explains that for your fast you recieve the nutrition you need from the maple sugar and lemon.

Wannabeacullen and I have been saying the same thing for over a year now and it just doesn't get through people's heads that there are alternatives to conventional wisdom that are healthier than Conventional Wisdom tells us.
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options

Wannabeacullen and I have been saying the same thing for over a year now and it just doesn't get through people's heads that there are alternatives to conventional wisdom that are healthier than Conventional Wisdom tells us.
    I agree with you ladies. Even though I haven't taken the master cleanse, I've taken a herbal cleanse that's very safe, and have had great results.
  • dmags
    dmags Posts: 303
    Options
    What are some other effective cleanses out there? Or alternatives?