Job Stress

Options
I have a big problem. My job has been really stressful lately. When I get off I CRAVE chocolate/sweets. Sometimes it seems impossible to resist. I have gained about 30 lbs since I started my job last February. It is a sit down receptionist job and when I get off I am so tired from stress. I had lost about 50 lbs last year so it saddens me that I have gained more than half of it back. Does anyone have any pointers?

Replies

• gamerguy90
    Options
    I have a big problem. My job has been really stressful lately. When I get off I CRAVE chocolate/sweets. Sometimes it seems impossible to resist. I have gained about 30 lbs since I started my job last February. It is a sit down receptionist job and when I get off I am so tired from stress. I had lost about 50 lbs last year so it saddens me that I have gained more than half of it back. Does anyone have any pointers?

Honestly you look really good from my opinion. :) I have the same type of job where i am sitting around all day and every hour or so I love to go outside with the group of smokers at my work and walk around with them when they are taking a break. This gets me out of the office and moving around for a bit. It will just take some time to get used to this job since you said it was new and maybe thats why it is stressful. Keep working at it and have a happy 2013
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Eating as stress reduction is just not great over the long haul. Perhaps a good thing to do next year is develop a better way of dealing with frustration? Exercise? Music? Punching pillows?

Or substitute something else for sweets. I find an almond or two or even a spoonful of ice cream keeps me happy with very few calories.

I'm going to suggest that it isn't stress that has made you regain, but just that you've gone back to older eating habits. That isn't unusual for someone who has lost a lot quickly. But there's time to go back to good habits - as you've obviously done as you're on MFP. Recommit and find better habits in the new year.
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options

Honestly you look really good from my opinion. :) I have the same type of job where i am sitting around all day and every hour or so I love to go outside with the group of smokers at my work and walk around with them when they are taking a break. This gets me out of the office and moving around for a bit. It will just take some time to get used to this job since you said it was new and maybe thats why it is stressful. Keep working at it and have a happy 2013

That picture was from 30 lbs ago. I just haven't taken a recent picture since I gained that. :/
  • Heather1899
    Heather1899 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I can relate. I am a receptionist too but it sounds like I am on my feet alot more than you. I have to get up for customers and if my boss needs something.
    Even when I am eating lunch.
    Answering the phone when eating lunch...never get a minute to myself. Feel like a full-time mommy!!
    I think that is why I don't eat much at work and then I tend to overeat when I get home.
  • Heather1899
    Heather1899 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could make a resolution to stand up once every hour? Even just to walk around for 5 minutes. Go talk to a coworker. Go to the potty and do squats. Stand whenever your talking on the phone. Maybe use a timer and once you have an idea of when you want to stand, set the timer to that to remind you.
  • Jpinpoint
    Jpinpoint Posts: 219 Member
    Options

My job is 90% stress. By the end of my work day I've either spent it in a work truck yelling at people or at my desk yelling at people. (I don't really yell at anyone, but it's stressful) and I look forward to going to the gym. I even look forward to eating a big salad with all of my favorite things in it. That is MY comfort.

Changing your mindset so that the stress motivates you to eat right and maybe go for a walk or go to the gym or do a yoga DVD, I mean...that is motivating.

Like the other posters have said, your pic is lovely. You do not look like you should shed 50lbs, but as I know myself, I do a good job at carrying my weight so it is just a number. :)
  • sarahslim100
    sarahslim100 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Exercise
  • msbunnie68
    msbunnie68 Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    At some point you have set up the chocolate as a ritual to calm and unwind from stress. You crave the chocolate because you crave the calming ritual that it signifies. For you, stress is your trigger, and chocolate is your response.

It's time to set yourself a new calming ritual, one that you consciously have to make yourself do until it becomes a habit for you. Find something that is a treat for you that doesn't include food but has a sensory effect - eg scented candles or a really nice hand cream/foot cream. Stop and take the time to carefully massage it in. Something that is going to allow your body to unwind.
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    At some point you have set up the chocolate as a ritual to calm and unwind from stress. You crave the chocolate because you crave the calming ritual that it signifies. For you, stress is your trigger, and chocolate is your response.

It's time to set yourself a new calming ritual, one that you consciously have to make yourself do until it becomes a habit for you. Find something that is a treat for you that doesn't include food but has a sensory effect - eg scented candles or a really nice hand cream/foot cream. Stop and take the time to carefully massage it in. Something that is going to allow your body to unwind.

That is really good advice. Thanks!