Computer jockey needs help with diet at the keyboard.

Options
I just started MFP. Anybody have some advise for computer users? I sit at the keyboard for 10 hrs/day 6 days/wk. I have a terrible habit of munching all day. Can somebody please help with some tips or tricks. I need to keep my calories down to meet my goal. TIA

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,117 Member
    Options
    It's a habit. You don't need that much food.

Try the One Day At A Time approach.

You have to start somewhere. How about only eating at the table, three times a day, without the computer. You know, it works.
  • johned63
    johned63 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I ride a keyboard also, here are a few tips that worked for me.

I started parking further away from the office each day to get in a little more activity. I never eat/snack at the keyboard, it is too easy to eat without realizing how much is being consumed. I got a pedometer and wear it daily, I am using a fitbit but there are many kinds out there. I started setting daily, then weekly and now monthly goals for the number of steps/miles that I am going to walk. It makes me very competitive with myself.

I drink plenty of water, the extra trips to the bathroom help get more steps in. I make sure I take my breaks instead of working through them and I take a short walk. I try to make time to do a short walk during my lunch hour. I have a wireless headset for my phone and when I am on a conference call I am pacing, not sitting. (I am not in an office but everyone is used to me pacing when I am on the phone now)

I got a stand up desk and stand almost the entire day. Not a lot of steps from that, but it does seem to help.

Worked for me, your mileage my vary.
  • 1115Karen
    Options
    Hi, I'm in the same boat. I've taken to making a chocolate protein shake in the morning with a half banana, 1 cup water and 1 cup almond milk. It's just rich enough to help stave off the munches. Getting up every hour or so and just stretching or doing a set of squats seems to help as well. Be strong, you can do this!
  • Ghiizhar
    Ghiizhar Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm 65 and been sitting behind a keyboard since Zilog processors were the hottest on the block. Was at 280+ lbs not quite 2 years ago. I was using Calorie King until I came to MFP. CK is very similar to MFP, but cost is $85/yr.

The good old calorie in - out thing works good for me to point, and that point seems to be I need to do some minimal exercising every day.

The building I work in has 3 flights of stairs, I work on the top floor. I have an alarm program on my computer set to go off every two hours begining at 9am (I start work at 8am). When the alarm goes off, I head to the stairwell and walk down and up 5 times each session (each trip down & up takes 1 minute). At the end of the day, I have 20 minutes of exercise done! The trips are also invigorating, my productivity has increased despite "wasting" 20 minutes a day on the stairs :happy:

In the evening I spend 15-20 minutes on my elliptical machine, right after I get home. Like most folks, I occasionally slack off the excercise, but almost every time I do, I seem to hit the infamous plateau until I resume my routine.

Edited to add: forgot to address snacking. I go for high protein, low cal snack at 10 am and 3 pm. Usually some homemade jerky, and a wee bit of fresh fruit like mandarin orange or 15 grapes. (homemade jerky does not contain all the sugar and preservatives of "store bought").