In Need of A Little Help : Plateau and Measurement

Options
Hi guys, first of all Happy New Year!

Right, now to my problem. This post may be a lil long:

I started this journey on March 2012 and went from 154lb (highest) to 128lb (lowest). I began with the MFP-recommended 1200 (should've research more) and was successful in losing till I hit a plateau in August. And since then I remain/fluctuate at 128-130 (mostly 128). In Oct, I increased my intake to 1400 and no change. So, a couple of weeks ago, I increased my calories to 1500-1600. Today, I weighed and measured myself and my weight is at 130 but my measurements increased! What exactly am I doing wrong?

I measure my food and yea, not perfect with my food intake all the time but still always in the 'healthy' zone. Most of my calories come from fruits, nuts, cheese, eggs, yogurt and some fish/chicken/pork (depending on the family) and lots of vegetables at night. If I want ice cream or any other indulgences, I make sure to fit it in by giving something up/ make up for it in the workout department. I watch my carbs, sugar and sodium.

I should probably mention that I just started lifting (Chalean xtreme) and I DO find an increase in strength (thank God!).

I had initially thought that if I only brazen this plateau out, I will burst through it and even giving up the idea of looking at the decrease in scales as progress and instead focus on all the other things. But now even my measurements are trying to do me in. :grumble: So what do you think gives?

CW: If its not water retention or something, it should be 128. But as of this morning 130.
GW: 110.
Height: 5'2
Lifestyle: Sedentary
Workout: Alternating between Insanity and Chalean Extreme.
Calories: 1500-1600. (decided to up it to 1600 the day before yesterday)

PS: I am sorry but for some personal reasons, I would prefer not to make my diary public. Sorry but just not very comfortable doing that just yet.

PPS: If anyone could do with an extra friend do add me! Promise to be supportive. Been here awhile but no friends yet (lonely lonely me).

And for all of you who are so kind to help me :flowerforyou: Thank you!

Replies

• watfordjc
    watfordjc Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    When you say "just started lifting" is it long enough for you to have made "beginner gains"? Fat isn't the only thing that increases measurements - increases in muscle mass and glycogen fullness can too. What are the photos/mirror saying?
  • dessertlover27
    dessertlover27 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    thanks for replying.

I have been using resistance band but just upgraded to some weights 'bout two days ago, so I am not exactly sure 'bout the beginner gains. And I am only using relatively light weights (3.5kg so that's 7.7lb) for Chalean Extreme because of previous injuries . Can such light weights in such a small amount of time make such significant difference? The photos/mirror look pretty much the same.

Pardon, but what exactly is glycogen fullness?

Thanks!
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    same problem here.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    You are most likely retaining water. This will cause the scale to increase and it can cause your measurements to increase.

It will happen after you change your routine. Unfortunately it will not be muscle gain... the water retention will go away shortly.
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I hope it is water! For the last 2 weeks I have started attending different classes at the gym, from zumba to muscle confusion, and I started walking an extra 3 miles a day. I also gained 3 lbs! during that time, but have not changed anything in my diet/exercise. I have started increasing the amount of water I drink every day, to a forced 5 glasses, beyond what I usually had, so I hope all this water retention goes down soon.
  • dessertlover27
    dessertlover27 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Woah, didnt realise there are new replies.

The scale went down to my initial 128 but not the measurements. So, I guess I just gotta suck it up. And now, despite all these changes, I am still stuck at 128. Thinking that maybe this is my 'final' weight after all.