I DONT drink Alcohol!

Options
I personally do not drink alcohol. Simple.

People question me when I go out with friends as to why I am not drinking. "Are you pregnant" "Is it because of religion" "Are you sick" "There must be something wrong with you". NO NO NO & NO.

I am not religious. I am not pregnant. I am not sick and as far as I know there is nothing wrong with me! It has been my personal choice not to drink alcohol simply because I haven't found any drinks that I actually like the taste of!

Are there any other non-alcoholic MFP'ers out there that know how to deal with this social situation? I am just sick to death of people trying to pressure me into drinking because they think it's 'cool' or the fun thing to do. I am 21 and our legal age is 18 here in Aus, and obviously I can make my own choices (because I choose not to drink!)

Basically what I'm asking is, what would be your comeback? I am so tired of explaining myself to everyone I see when we are out. I am quite capable of having a good time without alcohol.

End rant! LOL

Replies

• BellaFe
    BellaFe Posts: 323
    Options
    I'm drinking alcohol right now.
  • amber1533
    amber1533 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I am religious and I do drink sometimes lol (I believe as long as I am not getting wasted and making horrible choices small doses are ok!)

But neither my husband or I are comfortable drinking outside of our home even if it's just a drink. We both just say no thanks! And if they ask anything like that I take it as it comes. No, not pregnant, not my religion.

If they keep bothering us I just say I don't like the taste.
  • annepage
    annepage Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    I personally do not drink alcohol. Simple.

People question me when I go out with friends as to why I am not drinking. "Are you pregnant" "Is it because of religion" "Are you sick" "There must be something wrong with you". NO NO NO & NO.

I am not religious. I am not pregnant. I am not sick and as far as I know there is nothing wrong with me! It has been my personal choice not to drink alcohol simply because I haven't found any drinks that I actually like the taste of!

Are there any other non-alcoholic MFP'ers out there that know how to deal with this social situation? I am just sick to death of people trying to pressure me into drinking because they think it's 'cool' or the fun thing to do. I am 21 and our legal age is 18 here in Aus, and obviously I can make my own choices (because I choose not to drink!)

Basically what I'm asking is, what would be your comeback? I am so tired of explaining myself to everyone I see when we are out. I am quite capable of having a good time without alcohol.

End rant! LOL

I don't drink alcohol either. I haven't bothered trying it and know it's just something I don't want to get into. I've never felt the need for a "comeback." When asked, I simply say I don't and we move on. You shouldn't have to explain yourself. If they don't see where you're coming from in it being your own personal choice, ignore them. Not worth it, it is your decision after all.
  • JennyLisT
    JennyLisT Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    If you're hanging out with the kind of people who aren't okay with your personal choice to abstain from drinking, you're hanging out with the wrong people.

*she says with her New Year's rum & coke in hand*
  • samantha1242
    samantha1242 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I get this all the time too. I just tell them I don't want to drink tonight, plain and simple. I pick and chose the events/people that I will go sober to. I have some friends that will answer with "oh ok, no worries, do you want a pop or something?" and then I have some friends that won't let it go all night, ill be harassed and told how lame I am from start to finish of the night. I just don't attend events with those friends if they involve drinking anymore. I will come for a couple hours at the start of the event (before everyone is drunk) then leave before the harassment begins. I have come to decide that if I get harassed non stop not drinking, perhaps I am hanging with the wrong "friends".
  • TinGirl314
    TinGirl314 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Tell them that you're too pretty for alcohol and that if you get drunk you're afraid someone will kidnap you and stick you in their trunk.

I did that once.
    XD They could tell I was joking but they sure as heck stopped asking.
    No need to validate your choice to not intentionally poison your body. :)
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Ah, I usually end up in this boat. Generally a "I don't like the taste" if it's pressed soemthing sarky along the lines of "I act like an idiot enough sober" usually works :wink:

Every choice is personal, I occasionally drink but it has to suit me. I don't usually simply because a) there are few drinks I like and b) I don't like the hangover :laugh: I agree though, it does seem to be something very much like "what, are you mad?" lol. I'm used to handling that with not eating meat though :tongue:

Good luck and happy new year!! :bigsmile:

ETA: totally agree with Tin, you never need to actually explain your choice not to do something harmful to your body :wink:
  • mericksmom
    mericksmom Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Some people just will never understand... If you are in a social event and they ask just tell them you are the DD (designated driver) for so-and-so. I just volunteer for that position when I am not in the mood to drink.
  • newyorklover91
    newyorklover91 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I am religious and I do drink sometimes lol (I believe as long as I am not getting wasted and making horrible choices small doses are ok!)

But neither my husband or I are comfortable drinking outside of our home even if it's just a drink. We both just say no thanks! And if they ask anything like that I take it as it comes. No, not pregnant, not my religion.

If they keep bothering us I just say I don't like the taste.

Thanks Amber.

It's also a health choice - I have seen people I know get very sick because of long years of alcoholism and I wouldn't want to go down that path.
  • unFATuated
    unFATuated Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I've never been a big drinker - even in my early 20's. I didn't and don't like getting drunk and don't see the point of it. I *do* drink occasionally (special occasions) but these days I find I have half a glass and I feel woozy so I feel better not having it at all.

I am, however, breastfeeding my daughter so I find I don't have as many people treating me like a social leper because I don't have a glass in my hand.

Personally I don't care either way what people think - if they don't like it, then perhaps they have an issue with their own behaviour, not mine. I used to volunteer to be designated driver so that was my best excuse. But seriously, if you don't like to drink and feel you have more fun without it, then OWN that choice. Doesn't matter what others think!
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    Tell them that you're too pretty for alcohol and that if you get drunk you're afraid someone will kidnap you and stick you in their trunk.

I did that once.
    XD They could tell I was joking but they sure as heck stopped asking.
    No need to validate your choice to not intentionally poison your body. :)

Love your response. xD
  • BorderlineAngel
    Options
    This is why I'm always deso ;)
  • LoriIAM
    LoriIAM Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could turn the tables and ask why they have chosen to drink. Are they sad? Do they want to risk losing their self-control? Are they willing to go along with the mob mentality? Are they choosing to opt for short term pleasures rather than long term benefits? Are they choosing to ignore other risks from drinking alcohol? Everybody makes decisions. Your decision is a wise one. Stick to your guns.
  • lawtechie
    lawtechie Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    You are already saying it perfectly. Maybe you need to find more non-drinking friends or those who won't push so much. Good for you for holding off the peer pressure, it can be really hard.
    It has been my personal choice not to drink alcohol simply because I haven't found any drinks that I actually like the taste of!

I am quite capable of having a good time without alcohol.
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    If you're hanging out with the kind of people who aren't okay with your personal choice to abstain from drinking, you're hanging out with the wrong people.

*she says with her New Year's rum & coke in hand*

I agree with this one, people should just respect personal choices.
  • jacquerd
    jacquerd Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I tell the truth: I feel better when I don't drink. Gives your friends a built in DD, too!
  • rosesigil
    rosesigil Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I don't drink alcohol anymore. I am a devoted Christian but that's not why--many Christians are allowed to drink alcohol, it's not prohibited or anything. I don't drink because I don't like the feeling of intoxication, plus it's just not that good tasting! I guess if anyone asked me I'd just tell them I didn't like it that much. Plus hangovers are horrible and I HATE the feeling of nausea.
  • Jpinpoint
    Jpinpoint Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I drink. I don't question others who don't.

On the flip side, my on alcohol drinking sister will make snippy snide comments when she grocery shopped with me, "Oh look, the alcoholic is buying wine." keeping in mind she doesn't live with me nor does she know my consumption amounts.

Moral of the story, if your friends question why you DO NOT drink they aren't your friends. If your family rags on you because you do drink, they should be kicked in the shins.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I used to be a heavy drinker. All of the good times that I ever had while drunk can be counted on one hand. I wasted my time, money, and youth on chasing the booze. None of my drinking buddies are close friends with me since I changed my lifestyle. When the booze went, so did they.

So, I'm not exactly a "non-drinker". I have a few ounces of wine here and there. My happy amount is 3 or 4 ounces. Other than than that, drinking has become boring, even more expensive and I don't get anything positive from it. Even just a little makes me feel sick. It just seems pointless.

Personally, I would make new friends. No one should question your choice not to drink. In fact, they should be in awe of you for choosing not to drink. People who pressure you are NOT your friends. I wouldn't trust them at all, especially to drink with.
  • newyorklover91
    newyorklover91 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Thank you all :)

I hate being deso... My BF and his brother always seem to try and toot the horn or yell out the window at strangers!