BMF/MFP and eating back work out calories

Options
2»

Replies

• ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    I am confused about eating back calories burned by exercise. I know this has been gone over a billion times, but here is my dilemma...

I recently got a BodyMedia Fit (which I am LOVING), and it has my target "calories burned" at 2500 and today I burned 3284 (I wlk for a living, some days more than others), and I put in that i eat 1500 calories a day. MFP is now saying that I am actually -30 net calories because of all my walking today. So what on earth should I be doing? I am thinking I should be eating some back, but how many?

I have only had 1230 calories for today so far, not because I am skimping either...

I am a wee bit lost on this. If I was doing a hardcore work out, and since I am unsure about if it's best to eat back work out calories, I would compromise and eat back 1/2 of them, but this is a HUGE difference!!

The extra difference could be the difference between your Bodymedia goals, and your MFP goals.

if you look at your MFP goals in your home page, it gives you a target calorie burn (this excludes exercise). What is that number?

Let say it says 2000, and you have actually burned 3200, the bodymedia will add an adjustment of 1200. you need to make sure that your Bodymedia target matches your MFP goals to make sure your adjustments are correct.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Your BMF is purportedly counting your total energy expenditure. So you would eat at a deficit to that. If you get an outlier day here and there, like you did today, it's not worth fussing over. After a few weeks, you should be able to find your groove and get a sense of your average energy expenditure. All that matters is that over time you keep a reasonable deficit.