How can I work out?

Options
It may sound like a stupid question, but I mean it lol Ok, so I live in the country on a dangerous road(not good for walking/running/biking) I can't afford a gym membership, as I am a poor college student. I don't have any weights. I do have a treadmill, but I was hoping somebody could give me tips about other exercises I could do with limited space and no machines that are good for weight loss. Tell me something that worked for you. Thanks! :)

Replies

• LMick1986
    LMick1986 Posts: 431
    Options
    I'm not a fan of cold....and it's COLD here. I'm not a fan of driving somewhere if I don't have to. I'm also not a fan of wasting money....just to drive somewhere that I just don't really wanna. Soooo.....I found online sites. I use FitnessBlender.com AND BenderFitness.com. Both have TONS of workouts for the home AND are free!! Most of them, you don't even need weights of any kind. Check them out!
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    You have empty plastic bottles I assume? Well fill them up with sand or dirt & make sure you wet it as well once it's on there...... then use them as weights. Walking on the spot is good. Youtube has HEAPS of free workouts where you don't need anything or can use what you have at home.

Never any excuse NOT to work out at all.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    Search bodyweight workouts or bodyweight exercises on youtube. You'll find tons of things to do on there. If I had room near my computer to work out, I'd probably be on BexLife all the time. Diet is good for weight loss, exercise is good for gaining strength and cardiovascular fitness.

ETA that BexLife is a channel on youtube.
  • Staffygirl88
    Staffygirl88 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    exercise dvds have been a life saver for me! you can get them cheap on ebay as well, just check out some reviews for different ones
  • g0hard0rg0h0me00
    Options
    These are all great idea. Awesome advice! A lot better than anything I was coming up with. Definitely use these suggestions. I agree, there is a way to workout no matter what! Wish you the best! You can do it! Eating right is crucial too, but I'm sure you know that!
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Look up pop pilates. This lady does a series of pilates and cardio workouts on Youtube, she will make you sore like you've never been before.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    Treadmill and basic weight bearing exercises, It works, no excuses. Like Nike says "Just Do It" all i have used to lose 107 lbs. I also live in the middle of nowhere and do not go to a gym. I use my treadmill and after a few months bought a total gym. You can do it.
  • bdamaster60
    bdamaster60 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    sell your treadmill and buy a yearly gym membership. problem solved.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options

And then what after the year has ended?
  • MizManda180
    MizManda180 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I like to do the Jillian Michael's workout DVDs. You can use different household items for weights, large filled water bottles worked for a friend of mine.
  • IndigoFlowers
    IndigoFlowers Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    You can do interval training on the treadmill, that always gives me a nice burn. Play around with the incline if your treadmill has that ability. You could try C25K (a running program, just google it for the details) on the treadmill, I did it and loved it! And even if you are not into running, walking is great too, I love walking.

Others have been saying that youtube has a lot of good workout videos, it's true!! And honestly if everything else fails, turn on some music and dance the calories off... dancing is a major calorie burner and stress reliever for me :)
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Two bodyweight exercise books you could look at:

Convict Conditioning

You Are Your Own Gymn

both excellent books from start to high intensity workouts
  • bdamaster60
    bdamaster60 Posts: 595 Member
    Options

And then what after the year has ended?

find a second job by the end of the year? she's not at college 365 days a year.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I have found working out at home and incorporating walking and stairs as often as possible works for me. I like the you tube videos to try things out, Wii FIt (or any of the game consoles with good dance games) and Barre 3.

If you can scrape up $100 to $200, get a fitbit/nike fuel band or jawbone ups. Heck, even a $19 pedometer if you can manage not to lose them like me. It is amazing how you can add steps to your day to get more active. Just marching in place to the nutcracker suite is better than sitting around reading or watching TV...

If you have room inside, a jump rope is fun too. I have to work at it every day if I am jump rope, I have no natural grace!