Advice needed: constant hip pain from running!

Options
Hi - I have been running/working out for around 5 months now, and have lost around 9kgs. I should also add I have two small children, so yeah - my body has been through some strain in the last few years.

I started interval training on a treadmill 2 weeks ago and actually felt my hip flexor muscle "twang"... it was only slight to start with and fine if I keep moving - but OMG the pain if I sit down for a while! I have been stretching the muscle heaps... waiting to see a physio... Does/has anyone else experienced this? I know my hips are pretty rubbish due to the childbirth/pregnancy process - and have had plenty of pain in the back of my hips too since starting to run and am totally fed up with it.

As I said - Im waiting to get into a physio but its slow going given the xmas period.

Any exercises I should avoid? Any ways to workout that wont have me hobbling around the next day?

Its really getting me down ... I was interval training once a week, running another day and doing another two days of strength training per week

Replies

• unFATuated
    unFATuated Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Do you have high arches on your feet? If so, you could be over-pronating (rolling out on the edges of your feet) which can cause hip pain. I have really high arches and have been dealing with hip pain for many years - it has been worse since being overweight and also since being pregnant. I haven't really avoided anything, but having properly fitted shoes can help (if in Australia I suggest going to The Athlete's Foot, otherwise a podiatrist can assist).

Also I find if I don't stretch my hamstrings and hip flexors regularly after walking and running it gets worse. HTH
  • letjog
    letjog Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Hi, yeah I run marathons and have major problems with my hip flexors. They ache and ache and can be very painful. They work hard when you run. I stretch them and all my glute muscles but it doesn't help much. What does help is having a sports massage where they release your hip flexpors/psoas muscle. Works immediately for me (but I havent injured this muscle with a "twang") It is slightly unpleasand as they have to press in your abdomen to do it but such a relief after.

I'd recommend 1-2 weeks off running if you've actually heard a twang and sprained the mucle. Don't f*uck about with your hip flexors!
  • letjog
    letjog Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Ps I also have very tight piriformis and gluteus medius muscles which ache particularly when my hip flexors are aching at the front, so I get them 'released' with sports massage too and stretch them daily.
  • abrahamsitososa
    abrahamsitososa Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I would probably give up running for a few months and try elliptical. Would also take joint supplements while trying to recover. I believe they can help you.
  • workout_junkee
    workout_junkee Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    The onset of hip flexor pain usually means one of two things for me. I either need new shoes or did not warm up enough. I would take a week off and cross train. Hopefully the doc can give you some insight.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I roll mine out almost everyday. It works for me.
  • lax2306
    lax2306 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies - I do have very high arches in my feet. I have had shoes fitted recently and it actually did reduce the pain somewhat - though now it has jsut moved to a different spot . I will stay on the eliptical for a while and give running a rest and see how i go... hopefully the physio can give me some tips too. Thanks!