Alouette or Laughing cow cheese wedges
    Sweet baby peppers
    Turkey Cranberry salad
    Baked Squash
    Sweet potato wedges with cinnamon and nutmeg
    Shrimp and okra with tony sacherie
  • kjbutcher
    Options
    I think we all know that if we eat only fruits and vegetables we can lose weight and be healthy. Most of us are here because we dont do that and have a hard time with that. I think the point of her thread was to post things that we have found that we can still eat and have in our diets and still actually be on a diet.
    1. Natures own 40 calorie bread.
    2. land o lakes lite butter. (i used to use smart balance but I traded the 5 extra mg of cholesterol for half of the fat in the lite butter)
    3. egg beaters, not nearly as bad as one would expect and you can have 3 eggs, 2 natures own toast and lite butter and it is still a low cal breakfast.
    4. progresso soups. i know some are high in soduim, but some have low sodium and very filling for just 120 calories.
    5. honey bunches of oats cereal with almonds. less sugar than most cereals (and I really dont like cereal, but this is yummy!)
    6. 90 calorie fiber one brownies.
  • louiselebeau
    louiselebeau Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    http://www.snopes.com/food/tainted/carrots.asp

How baby carrots are made. Might interest those who think there healthy.....

In North America perhaps, not worldwide. Here in the UK all the fresh baby carrots I have seen in the supermarket are clearly whole small carrots, often with their skins and tops intact. Peeled and chopped fresh veggies are certainly chemically treated, but carrots no more than any other. Deformed veggies are sold in store own brand 'Value/ Smartprice' packs.

I wish the US would take the hint from the UK when it comes to food. We are killing ourselves and slowly causing the entire population to become less intelligent. I really think a lot of the problems in the US stem from all the crap we eat and all the crap we put into our foods.
  • Lizajane42
    Lizajane42 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Looking through this list, I would have to agree with several of you on a variety of topics:

*First, some of the processed, not so good for you stuff, is wonderfully low in calories and high in flavor. I try to avoid these on a regular basis, but totally appreciate their availability from time to time. I also think that for someone who is first beginning their journey, it is important to have these around- they may not be the best for you, but can certainly be better than gorging on cheeseburgers, shakes, and whatever else floats your boat. I personally have used a "step-down" approach: little by little I re-evaluate my diet and eliminate or add things to make me more healthy. It isn't a perfect method, but it helps me. Specifically, if the label on a fat free or low fat item has a ton of ingredients I can't pronounce, then I go back to the full fat version and use it in better moderation. My husband and I have also cut out high fructose corn syrup. Our choice is based on our own feelings about it, no need to debunk myths or anything.

I often choose something that I find more filling over simply low calorie- so you may find some of my choices seem high in calories to you, but are things that fit in my lifestyle and satisfy my cravings.

In any case, some of the things I love include the following:

*Noosa brand yogurt: holy moly! This stuff is awesome! It is 130 cals per serving and some how is way better than other yogurt!

*Clif Granola Bars: the crunchy granola White Chocolate Macadamia Nut bars are great after the gym! 190 calories I believe, not super low, but packed with goodness.

*Weight Watchers Dessert Bars: There are several of these I love! The most recent is their Dark Chocolate covered Dulce de Leche bar. YUM! I love caramel and this is a great fix. 120 calories per bar.

*Ranch Veggie Chips or Veggie Straws: Pretty sure there is no nutritional value to these, but you get a big serving to fill your crunchy chip need! 130 calories per serving.

*Diet Dr. Pepper or Diet Cream Soda: Okay, yep, diet soda is akin to the devil. I actually gave up soda a year ago, went 10+ months without any, but then started to have serious cravings for soda. These both take the place excellently if you are going to break down and don't want to use calories to do it. Now, that said, you can insert all of your arguments against soda of any kind, but since my usage includes about one or two 2-liters a year, I don't think I will probably rot from the inside out. I got my cravings covered, and am off soda again! :D

My list includes a lot of full meal items too- homemade baked egg rolls, mini pizzas (made with turkey pepperoni!), chicken nachos, inside out stuffed green peppers- all yummy and under 400 calories!
  • Ante_Up
    Ante_Up Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later.
  • sarahc001
    sarahc001 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Love me an egg white omelet with Trader Joe's reduced guilt guacamole:

4 egg whites: 68 calories, 4 g carbs, 0 fat,14g protein
    2tbs reduced guilt guacamole: 30 calories, 2g carb, 2g fat, 1g protein

TOTAL for the omelet: 98 cal, 6g carb, 2g fat, 15g protein

super filling- not bad for under 100 calories!

I usually eat this wrapped in a Trader Joe's reduced carb whole wheat flour tortilla (45cal, 10g carb, 2g fat, 4g protein, 7g fiber) or with Trader Joe's low calorie light wheat bread (40 cal, 11g carb, 0 fat, 3g protein, 5g fiber.)
  • lorenzoinlr
    lorenzoinlr Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Marinated skinless chicken breast. Lots of ways but my standard is olive oil, citrus (fresh squeezed if possible), salt, pepper, garlic and ground mustard. I butterfly them and give them a day or two in the marinade. Melts in your mouth, particularly if grilled. Before the marinade they're 1 calorie per gram. I cook extra for low cal, filling, high protein snacks.
  • TheBoyEnigma
    TheBoyEnigma Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hey, nobody's perfect and there's no need to bash someone if their low-cal foods aren't super healthy. Not everyone is perfect 100% of the time.

My favourites:
    Carrots - raw, cooked, whatever, all the time
    No added sugar fruit squash
    Diet soda
    Cup-a-soup (generally less than 100 cal)
    Stir fry (though I cook without oil so its just a load of vegetables really, but very nice with soy sauce)
  • rosiereally2
    rosiereally2 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I'm learning to like 0 calorie Truvia as a sugar alternative. I've never done Equal, Sweet n Low, etc, because I simply couldn't stomach the aftertaste, but Truvia is more tolerable to me. I'll have a cup of hot tea with it, or a cup of coffee with half my normal sugar and then add Truvia to taste.

I love brocolli. Fresh, frozen, raw, steamed, sauteed, LOVE it!

Cooking spray. Fabulous. I'll saute veggies in a little cooking spray, and then just add a tsp of olive oil at the end to coat them. Toss over 2 oz whole grain pasta and you have a filling and savory meal for about 300 calories.