Grocery store observation

Options
I finally broke down and went to the grocery store today. 100 buckaroonies. Not too bad.
fish, lean meats, veggies, yogurts, low carb stuff... you know the basic heakth stuff for us wonderful dieters..

I observed the following

Whiney butt kids that do not know how to mind, but then I looked in their carts and I discovered tons of junk food. Frozen pizzas, chips, cookies, soft drinks.
Not one veggie or fruit. Frozen or fresh....... What are we teaching our kids??
""" do you think the reason some kids act up so bad is due to the food they are given?"""""
Chemical imbalance wise?

Then I saw mom's, who Gosh love there hearts, just look like they have given up on life. They were overweight, hair matted, in pj pants and house shoes..... with kids that looked the same, but they went out and got in nice semi expensive cars.... And there buggies were the same. All bought crap.....

Has food gotten so bad that we, few, some, just get what is convenient??

Replies

• elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    I finally broke down and went to the grocery store today. 100 buckaroonies. Not too bad.
    fish, lean meats, veggies, yogurts, low carb stuff... you know the basic heakth stuff for us wonderful dieters..

I observed the following

Whiney butt kids that do not know how to mind, but then I looked in their carts and I discovered tons of junk food. Frozen pizzas, chips, cookies, soft drinks.
    Not one veggie or fruit. Frozen or fresh....... What are we teaching our kids??
    """ do you think the reason some kids act up so bad is due to the food they are given?"""""
    Chemical imbalance wise?

Then I saw mom's, who Gosh love there hearts, just look like they have given up on life. They were overweight, hair matted, in pj pants and house shoes..... with kids that looked the same, but they went out and got in nice semi expensive cars.... And there buggies were the same. All bought crap.....

Has food gotten so bad that we, few, some, just get what is convenient??
  • danaanlugh
    Options
    You hit the nail on the head Elliot, you probably saw a few people with cellphones pressed to their head. We live in a society of immediate gratification, we have little actual time (or we kid ourselves into thinking that), and we want everything fast. Even if it's at the cost of our health. Heck, some of us don't even slow down long enough to know how our food tastes!

Don't know if you've heard about the slow food movement, but it's really an interesting read! http://www.slowfood.com/
  • auntkaren
    auntkaren Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Do we shop at the same store?:happy: I think it has a lot to do with it. I had the I don't care attitude for a long time, I am fat and I am always going to be fat and I have been on diets all my life....what the heck:grumble: Well , I was wrong , I just didn't know how to eat the right way. And neither will those children.:cry::brokenheart:
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    yes, people go for what they see as easy and fast. Unfortunately they are killing their kids with crap. When I was a kid soda and chips and pizza all of it were occasional treats, not everyday food. Kids will eat healthy, if you don't give them any choice but healthy they will eat healthy. AND it is not any more expensive to buy fresh and healthy food than it is to buy a butt load of crap, because you eat more crap because it has no nutritional value and you end up hungry 5 minutes later.

I could go on and on, but this is one of my absolute pet peeves about society right now, fat parents creating fat children, it is neglectful on the parents part.
  • PammyB3130
    PammyB3130 Posts: 203
    Options
    I hate to admit it, but that was me just a few months ago!!! I was the woman in the store with the kids who were completely out of control and the cart full of junk food!! I guess I didn't know any better....but I do now!! I've done a total overhaul when it comes to shopping, and feeding my family. I can't say that my life just all fell into place when I started shopping better and eating healthier, but we're on our way there...but don't be so hard on moms. sometimes we do the best we can. we have so much on our plates and sometimes making sure a well-balanced meal is there, just isn't the priority....keeping our sanity is... My husband and I are a fairly young couple, still newly married (almost 4 years) and don't have the biggest salary. I've found that it costs us more money to buy healthy, and for a while it just wasn't a possibility to spend so much extra money each week on "health food".

so I see your point about so many people feeding their kids junk, but please don't be so hard on those moms. unless you know the situation you can't judge them.

~Pam
  • danaanlugh
    Options
    but please don't be so hard on those moms. unless you know the situation you can't judge them.

~Pam

Have to agree with Pam here, I was speaking generally above. Heck fathers can make some hasty decisions as well... and I am most certainly not without fault! Before I lost weight the first time I was 310 lbs. and quite the irresponsible eater. I was still with my ex-wife at the time, and well... kids DO learn from watching!
  • mommyskis
    mommyskis Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Please give us moms a break! I remember that "junk" was an occasional treat too, but my mom stayed home for quite a few years and had the time and energy to cook good food. I think many moms have to work and you are just so tired it is easier and faster to open a package of bad food. I know we started eating a lot better and more at home after I went part-time. It is exhausting to get a up a few times every night with a baby, work full time and also have the happy attitude and play with your kids after a long day at work. Cooking becomes a low priority. The bad food is cheaper and easier, not to mention how much easier it is to hit the drive-thru. Unfortunately many moms do not have the luxury of choosing whether or not they'd like to stay home, and some are much happier working (I do not want to start the mommy war here, I think that's fine too, it's an individual choice! side note- studies say neither staying at home nor working makes a difference, it's whether or not mom is happy with her decision).
  • Patwin55
    Patwin55 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Cheap stuff is loaded with carbs and trans fat. Lean meat costs more, whole grains cost more, fresh veggies are more expensive than cheap canned stuff loaded with salt. Eating right really is more expensive, but.... the cheap food is expensive too, in the toll it takes on our bodies. Starting with healthful food in small proportions is the way to go! If I could raise my four kids over again, I would do it correctly right from the very beginning, but we don't have children when we are old and wise, we have them when we are young and able to stand the physical stresses of childbirth and child rearing! I do have to say that my children were trained to walk in the store with their arms folded, and they could each have one treat if they behaved the whole time. They each had a turn of picking out their favorite cereal, one each shopping trip, so I bought the generic oat rings and they had a box of "fancy" cereal to share with each other every two weeks. (It was gone the first day.) In the late seventies and early eighties we didn't know all the nutritional stuff we know now! And in the sixties, when I grew up, we had seven or eight food groups. Anybody remember back then? I remember my mom ragging on a woman in the neighborhood who gave her kids 2% milk instead of whole milk because it was less expensive. Mine were all raised on skim, as soon as I learned to drink it myself. So we learn, and we get better, but we have to share what we have learned, and keep on learning!
  • catlover
    catlover Posts: 389
    Options
    I love this saying: WHEN YOU KNOW BETTER, YOU DO BETTER.

I grew up in the 50's and 60's and a pepsi on the week end and a trip to Arctic Circle for a kiddie burger basket (which cost .33 at that time, with no toy) was a treat. I tried to raise my own two children the same way. My son is now 33 and my daughter is just 14. My son is a complete junk food junkie, like his father. It is yet to be seen what the food choice of my daughter will be when she gets to do her own choosing. I worked with kids for 12 of the past 15 years. At Head Start kids were offered a "nutritious meal" two times a day, standards set by the government. Every year we would have one kid who loved everything and one who would throw up if he ate anything non fast food related. Most were somewhere in the middle. What was the topic, oh yeah, even with all the information we have, I still had kids show up at school with a baby bottle full of soda or kool-aid. What I want to know is why we even have these foods anymore. I know everyone isn't fat, everyone doesn't have allergies, but you can't tell me that kool aid, with all it's dyes and sugar is good for ANYTHING or ANYONE. As for the milk issue, we went to soy a couple of years ago because we are not cows and I love it.....mmmmmm
  • auntkaren
    auntkaren Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    If all this information was out there for me when I was a young mom, I to would have done better. Especially with so much information available on the Internet now , there is probably a computer in every home at 50 dollars a month......cell phones , probably at least two or more in every home,.....satellite or cable tv in every home....40,000 dollar SUV's . It was as someone mentioned on tv the other day that some people will go buy their children 300 dollar pair of tennis shoes and not get the real necessities they need. I am in no way bad mouthing all the mom's and dad's , but I was ignorant to how important nutritious foods were , there is no reason not to know these days. Priority is way out of proportion these days, my nieces and nephews at age 3 to 8 were demanding the latest video game machine at that time only 300 dollars and 35 dollars for each game. And their mother was feeding them on food stamps. I guess I am just venting, but something just isn't right.:grumble:
  • elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    I love this saying: WHEN YOU KNOW BETTER, YOU DO BETTER.

Not really giving anyone a hard time, I guess I have come a long way from a bad line of eating to now and yes, i agree, it is a judgement first, then a understanding....
    Not one of us is perfect, but I do have to say this, we know so much more now about good and bad foods. It's amazing how much food we have around us and I think we all can now go online to any web site at ant given time and see the pooh that is in foods.

Have you ever, just for knowledge, looked up a added ingredient they put in foods. I read one once that said it is a chemical they use in NASA!!!!

I have to find that one. It's like a glue/gum base that hold meat together in packages.

YUCK!!!