Want to start running...worried about pain from jiggles

Options
2»

Replies

• runlaugheatpie
    runlaugheatpie Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    get a good bra and a compression top, that will minimise jiggling.
    I
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Any advice? Just do it anyway? Will I injure myself?

It's possible that you will have a few injuries. I suggest you visit Runners World for running related issues. http://forums.runnersworld.com/forums/

As many here as stated, go to a running store and get fitted for good running shoes. I dont know your weight but if you are a heavy runner you will need to wear a shoe with extra support and cushioning because you can bottom out a light shoe, which will cause more shock to your body.

Tight spandex and sport bras are advisable; maybe even wear a girdle... but the best remedy for the jiggles is weight training. Get some muscle on your frame, (though it wont help the boober jiggles much.)

The best advice is listen to your body. If it hurts, stop until it heals or go visit the doc...preferably a sports doc.

Many docs arent well versed on running and some will tell you not to run. I have heard some bad advice from doctors. Just remember, 1 out of every 2 doctors graduated in the bottom half of their class!

Feel free to pm if you have questions
  • KathleenKP
    KathleenKP Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone!

I went to a running store today and got fitted for shoes with gait analysis. Hopefully having the right shoes will help with injury prevention. He told me not to buy compression clothing and just wear regular things.

I've been looking at the C25K program and that's my plan. Hopefully day one is tomorrow. I already got the pre-day-one practice today at the store with all my laps in various shoes. Lol.
  • KathleenKP
    Options
    As many here as stated, go to a running store and get fitted for good running shoes. I dont know your weight but if you are a heavy runner you will need to wear a shoe with extra support and cushioning because you can bottom out a light shoe, which will cause more shock to your body.

I came home with Brooks running shoes. Hoping he gave me some with extra cushioning...he could see my weight.

Tight spandex and sport bras are advisable; maybe even wear a girdle... but the best remedy for the jiggles is weight training. Get some muscle on your frame, (though it wont help the boober jiggles much.)

I know he told me not to worry with compression clothing, but I did happen to have on a tank with a small amount of midsection control, and I think it WAS more comfortable running in the store with it on.

I do have a lot of muscle (buried under layers of fat tissue) b/c I've always been athletic activity-wise, but I'm working on getting more. I've lost almost 60 pounds already (kept off almost a year, done prior to joining this site) and what jiggles the WORST is my stretched out thigh skin. I was hoping the running could help with this, but I kind of suspect it needs to be removed. I think it's that kind of jiggling.
  • KathleenKP
    Options
    Beyond that, you can look into getting yourself fitted for running shoes at a GOOD althletic gear/shoe shop. Proper foot wear does not have to cost mega $$$ but it does need to be suited to your gait and stance and it can help minimize trauma to the joints.

I run on dirt trails whenever possible because it is gentler than pavement. As much as I hate treadmills, they do offer better shock absorbsion that most running paths.

How much jogging or walking have you done in the past?

I haven't run since high school, really. I'm going to find some parks to run in, and maybe use the treadmill once a week on the C25K plan.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i'm 34I. i wear an enell bra and compression pants and tops when i run ... nothing jiggles.. even when i run sprints and trust me that's a whole lot of me moving at 9 miles an hour for about 20 seconds at a time :laugh:
  • KathleenKP
    Options
    i'm 34I. i wear an enell bra and compression pants and tops when i run ... nothing jiggles.. even when i run sprints and trust me that's a whole lot of me moving at 9 miles an hour for about 20 seconds at a time :laugh:

:laugh: