Falling into a rut...

Options
I've been here on the site for just a couple of weeks. Prior to that, I had had a couple weeks of counting calories/carbs/protein by hand. I feel like I'm right on track with everything, but I'm starting to fall into a rut with my meals. Usually breakfast is cottage cheese and applesauce or string cheese and a piece of fruit. Lunch is often some sort of Lean Cuisine frozen meals (and I'm appalled at how much sodium is in those!) veggies, and a protein bar as "dessert". Dinner is either a faux chicken burger and a salad, or fish and rice with a salad. I tried googling some healthy recipes, but was overwhelmed by the sheer number of sites out there and gave up after just looking at a couple. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions for low-cal/low-fat but not overly processed foods to shake things up a bit. :wink:

Replies

• cdickey
    cdickey Posts: 230
    Options
    You might take a look at the recipe forum here. There are lots of really good things that have been posted by other MFP users. You can probably find some things to shake it up there. Good luck.
  • Mellie13
    Mellie13 Posts: 424
    Options
    I like the website below for healthy recipes and I Iove to cook, so I've just collected recipes over the years. I also love the challenge of make a more traditonal recipe more healthy. Which you can actually find some ideas for on this website as well: http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/healthy-recipes/RecipeIndex

Hope this helps!!
  • LongMom
    LongMom Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    If you're feeling overwhelmed by random recipe searches, why don't you go to the grocery store, find some fresh ingredients and then look up some recipes using those ingredients!

The only problem is if you don't have a lot of spices etc. at home that recipes could call for, you might have to go back out. Another idea is to just think of something, like tuna for example, and look up tuna recipe's only.

My husband bought half a cow so I usually search for recipes specific to the cut of meat we'll be having that night.
  • BLynnTE
    BLynnTE Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have been using recipes from the Hungry Girl cookbooks and daily emails (www.hungry-girl.com). I eat a couple of those small meals a day as well as some healthy snacks, and for me, it's enough variety and doesn't feel like I'm "on a diet" so much as just making good healthy choices. Hope that helps! Good luck!
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    When I gave up my job a few years ago to homeschool my son, I became very frugal. I planned meals out a month at a time and did one major shopping trip (coupons and all) each month... then I returned for milk, eggs, etc. as needed. I had to change things a bit when I started cooking healthier.... but here's what I did/do:
    I searched websites and the forums here for good sounding recipes. I put each recipe on index cards... I have several "stacks" of cards: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner Entree, Snack, Dessert. Each card has calorie counts on it,

Each week, I sit down with my calendar and my cards and start piecing together meals. I can quickly determine what the days calorie count will be. And I can mix and match to keep things new. Then I take my cards for the week to the store and buy my ingredients. When I make something new, my family gets to vote on whether or not the recipe is a keeper and goes into the mix.

I really like the Biggest Loser cookbooks... but I sometimes have to recalculate things because I don't use artificial sweeteners.
  • brebird
    Options
    Stash,

I have multiple healthy recipes I'd be happy to pass on to you. Also I always use runner's world recipe finder, b/c I can just log in (to sign up is free) and choose like: Chicken or Muffins or whatever, it let's you stick recipes you like into a recipe box, etc.... Really great! So let me know, I'm happy to swap tips, recipes, whatever with you.

Love,
    -Bre
  • gailwyn
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions. :)