Big Moment - at least for me!

Options
I have the unfortunate pleasure of traveling a lot for my job. Those of us in the full figure group know how stressfull airline travel is and how devious we can be to get an upgrade or a seat with an open seat next to us. I carry two seat belt extenders - had to have a backup just incase I lose one! I would actually start to stress at the airline gate if I wasn't getting an upgrade or didn't know my seat.

I've not traveled in about 3 months and yesterday I took a flight to see my family. I decided to not apply for an upgrade and I left my security blanket (seat belt extender) at home. Not only that I picked the exit row where the seats are a little more narrow because the tray table is in the seat and you are not allowed to use a seat belt extender in the exit row for safety reasons. The plane was full so reseating would have been painful and embarrassing if I was more optimistic than I should have been.

Well - I fit with a couple inches to spare in the NON-EXTENDED seat belt. Not only that I didn't see the horror on the faces of those in my row as I approached seeming to say "gosh I hope he doesn't sit here".. I was able to reach my bag under the seat in front of me and even cross my legs.

I realize this may sound stupid but I was over the top happy!! It's the little wins that keep me going. That was a BIG little win - if that makes any sense at all.. 87 down and 38 to go....

Replies

• dc_amaryllis
    dc_amaryllis Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Wonderful! You should be very proud of your accomplishment. Happy New Year.
  • mom2nate08
    mom2nate08 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    That IS a big moment! A wonderful NSV!
  • smilingalltheway
    smilingalltheway Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Great work....wonderful moment...you rock
  • xMissy6x
    xMissy6x Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    It's all the little things that make the journey so worth it!! Well done :)
  • ruperthumphrey
    ruperthumphrey Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Wow...congratulations! you have done amazingly well!
  • sawsenrashid
    Options
    Keep inspiring your friends on this site !!:wink:
  • christy3565
    Options
    That is awesome!! Keep up the great work!!
  • LesaDave
    LesaDave Posts: 1,480 Member
    Options
    How nice is that??? GREAT NSV (non-scale victory)!!

Congrats to you!
  • DoingitWell
    DoingitWell Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Awesome, I have never flown but I do know the fear of maybeing not fitting some where. Congrats.
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    This doesn't sound stupid at all! It sounds like an incredible moment for you. Awesome job! Have a great and successful 2013.
  • DeborahBatewell
    DeborahBatewell Posts: 147 Member
    Options

That. Congrats.
  • BorgieMN
    BorgieMN Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    That is awesome man!!! I know the feeling!
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options
    This does not sound stupid at all... THIS IS GREAT!! We need to be proud of ourselves for our achievements so that we stay focused on the journey... You are an inspiration!!
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    Very well done!
  • Rachelmilloy
    Rachelmilloy Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    "Well - I fit with a couple inches to spare in the NON-EXTENDED seat belt. Not only that I didn't see the horror on the faces of those in my row as I approached seeming to say "gosh I hope he doesn't sit here".. I was able to reach my bag under the seat in front of me and even cross my legs."

I figure the people in your row were happy to see your handsome face beaming with joy and good humor! What a thrilling big moment you had... Congratulations on your determination and hard work, you've really earned your incredible results. Would wish you a happy new year, but that seems a foregone conclusion! :bigsmile:
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    That is terrific - you must have been smiles the whole time!!!
  • MsDover
    MsDover Posts: 395 Member
    Options

Absolutely! That has to have felt so good!
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    No "small" big moment! Congrats. I am traveling a lot these days on business. Congrats on getting healthy while traveling so much! I have learned to turn down all those inflight snacks and drink lots of water... I know to look for a banana or apple when I catch myself in an airport without snacks.

thanks for sharing your NSV and continued success make fitness a priority in your life EVEN with the travel!
  • blake3284
    Options
    Congrats!!! That's a tremendous NSV!!!
  • jrtcw
    jrtcw Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    That is fantastic. Well done, and more than two thirds of the way to your goal. 2013 will be the year!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!