BMR & TDEE

Options
Okay MFP friends, I just calculated my BMR and it's 1723 and my TDEE which is 2369. So to make sure I understand this right, I need to at least eat my BMR, so if I burn calories by working out I need to eat those back?? Does this really work? Should I set my calorie intake to my BMR or TDEE?

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Eating at your TDEE will maintain your current weight. If you want to lose weight eat somewhere between your BMR and TDEE.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    In reality the more food you can eat and still lose weight while exercising is the best option, simply because it's going to give you more overall nutrition during a time where most are lacking or deficient and if your exercise includes weight bearing exercise, your metabolism is less likely to be effected, by that I mean the loss of lean body mass. Unfortunately a lot of people can't fathom moderation and pick polar extremes for the solution and the popular one is too eat as little as possible and not be found out. imo
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    TDEE*0.8 is a good starting point.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    TDEE*0.8 is a good starting point.

TDEE X 0.8 = 1895

This. And if you are going to use this method, instead of using MFP's Exercise log, then you would eat the same amount every day, and not eat more on exercise days.