Newbie questions about lifting/cardio/calories

Options
Okay, I know this has been done to death, and I've searched the forums and read what I can, but at some point, the threads seem to turn "technical" to the point that this newbie has no idea what's being said anymore. ;-)

I've lost more than 75 pounds eating at a deficit and doing cario. It works for me, and for the most part, I like it. No problems. But I also know that I need to lift weights. I have a gym membership and have worked with one of the trainers there to set up a beginning routine for lifting. So far, so good.

But I still have a few questions that I thought I'd put out there for all of you. I'm sorry for their elementary nature, and I'm going to ask that you answer in simple English (when you start talking in abbreviations and such, I get lost). I apologize in advance for this request!

Okay, here goes:

1. I want to lose a bit more weight, so I'm eating at a deficit from my TDEE. I do cardio 3-4 days a week (sometimes more), and I also lift 3-4 times a week (sometimes more). Yes, I will sometimes lift weights for 40 minutes (that's how long it takes to go through the gym-recommended lifting routine), then I'll go ride the stationary bike for another 40 minutes. Am I negating my lifting with the cardio? Is what I'm doing okay?

2. I've also read a lot of posts about not lifting weights (or maybe it's just not adding muscle?) while eating at a deficit. Should I be eating at maintenance or a small surplus on lifting days? What would that do to my weight loss? I eat a lot of protein. I've chosen a low-carb lifestyle, so please don't tell me to increase carbs (I'm one of those strange people who feels physically sick when I eat too many carbs). Am I over analyzing? I'm confused in this area.

3. What about increasing weight/reps/sets? How do you know when to do what? The gym employee told me to do 3 sets of each machine, 15 reps per set. I found this to be a bit too easy at the weights recommended, so I tried upping the weights, but found that I couldn't do a full 15 reps. So I went back to the original weight and tried to do 4 sets of 15 reps. That worked a bit better in that I was able to do all the reps (with difficulty at the end). Then that got a bit easier, too, so I added a bit more weight, but kept up the 4 sets of 15 reps. The original plan was to stick to the 3 sets of 15 reps at the low weights for a total of 8 weeks, but it really was just too easy after the first week. Was I just impatient? If so, how do you know when you're ready to push it further?

Am I doing this all wrong?

I don't want to be a body-building model, and I don't need to be able to lift a truck. I want to look and feel good. (I know, I know, could I possibly be more vague?)

Thank you to anyone and everyone who can give me a bit of advice. Again, I apologize for the "newbie-ness" of these questions!

Replies

• debi_f
    debi_f Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Anyone?
  • jballantine0826
    Options
    1. I think what you are doing is fine. Balancing cardio and weights is a good thing. It doesn't have to be a perfect amount of time for either, just doing both regularly is the important part.

2. Lifting weights at a deficit-there is something to be said about this. You have to make sure you are eating enough to build muscle. I don't mean body-building style, just normal amounts. I know you said don't say anything about the carbs, but they are very important! I don't believe in low-anything diets. Protein is important, but you have to have fuel in the tank (carbs)! Fat, carbs, and protein all have functions so get enough of all of them. Low-carb isn't horrible, but make sure you are getting enough. If you are getting tired through a workout (cardio) you probably should boost your carbs.

3. If you aren't tired at the end of lifting 15 reps or 3 sets, your weight isn't high enough. You want the last few to be difficult! This is how you get stronger and more tone. You have to lift so it is hard! You won't bulk this way, don't worry! 12-13 reps is usually okay, make sure it is a great effort though! You can tell if you pushed yourself to hard by how sore you are after the workout and the following days. The goal is too be sore the next day, but not too sore. You have to find your own balance and what you can mentally and physically handle. Everyone is different.

I would suggest mixing up your routine. Don't do the same cardio every week. If you do the bike, try the stair stepper. You want to get your heart rate up so you are working hard. The body adapts overtime and if you do the same exercises over and over then they become less efficient. Throw in some speed intervals. You don't have to go all out, but increase from your normal pace or resistance once a week during a workout. This will help your endurance. The minimum amount of cardio to maintain current fitness is something like 30 minutes 3x per week. If you want to improve and burn fat, then you got to bump it up. Either duration or intensity.

Hope this helps! Keep up the good work, sounds like you have some major dedication!
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    1. I think what you are doing is fine. Balancing cardio and weights is a good thing. It doesn't have to be a perfect amount of time for either, just doing both regularly is the important part.

2. Lifting weights at a deficit-there is something to be said about this. You have to make sure you are eating enough to build muscle. I don't mean body-building style, just normal amounts. I know you said don't say anything about the carbs, but they are very important! I don't believe in low-anything diets. Protein is important, but you have to have fuel in the tank (carbs)! Fat, carbs, and protein all have functions so get enough of all of them. Low-carb isn't horrible, but make sure you are getting enough. If you are getting tired through a workout (cardio) you probably should boost your carbs.

3. If you aren't tired at the end of lifting 15 reps or 3 sets, your weight isn't high enough. You want the last few to be difficult! This is how you get stronger and more tone. You have to lift so it is hard! You won't bulk this way, don't worry! 12-13 reps is usually okay, make sure it is a great effort though! You can tell if you pushed yourself to hard by how sore you are after the workout and the following days. The goal is too be sore the next day, but not too sore. You have to find your own balance and what you can mentally and physically handle. Everyone is different.

I would suggest mixing up your routine. Don't do the same cardio every week. If you do the bike, try the stair stepper. You want to get your heart rate up so you are working hard. The body adapts overtime and if you do the same exercises over and over then they become less efficient. Throw in some speed intervals. You don't have to go all out, but increase from your normal pace or resistance once a week during a workout. This will help your endurance. The minimum amount of cardio to maintain current fitness is something like 30 minutes 3x per week. If you want to improve and burn fat, then you got to bump it up. Either duration or intensity.

Hope this helps! Keep up the good work, sounds like you have some major dedication!
    Well Said...
    I'd keep it very simple, hitting every muscle head to toe 3 times each week, and engaging in cardio 4 times per week.
    Just pick a routine and do it.
    Good Luck!
  • debi_f
    Options
    Thank you so much! That really helps.

So if I do the bike most of the time, I should also toss in a different cardio (in place of the bike) once a week.

And the weights should be increased, but the repetitions per set and the number of sets should stay the same.

Good to know
  • KaydaRN
    KaydaRN Posts: 48
    Options
    I’ve always read and believe the best way to combine cardio with your lifting is to do cardio in the AM (if you can) and lift in the evenings. If you must do cardio when you do your lifting keep it short 20min, best results with HIIT (high intensity interval training).

The diet is more person specific. I am on a bulk where I am eating a bit more than my norm to try to put on as much as I can for a period of time. When I start my lean I am taking in a little less or equal than I’m putting out. I can still gain muscle during this time and I lean out, I’m just eating the right things, I lose the fat but keep the muscle. It’s trial and error with how your body will react. Try things for several weeks if it doesn’t work try something else.

Now weight training you can do so many ways so many different ways to do your sets and reps… I start heavy as I can for 8 to 12 reps for the first set, I will stay the same or decrease the weight for the next sets as needed. If you like your program, stick with it. Change if you are not getting the results you want.

hope that helps some.
  • kylesorg
    Options
    "I don't want to be a body-building model, and I don't need to be able to lift a truck. I want to look and feel good. (I know, I know, could I possibly be more vague?) "

You do not need to lift weights to achieve this goal.
    Cardio and resistance type training will get you your goals. if cardio does not burn enough (not calories but like good pain burn) then turn up the resistance.
    push ups, sit ups, body weight squats, and pull ups are all you need.

Strength and mass are 2 different things, now more muscle mass means there is more strength potential there.
    Gaining more muscle mass will require eating 500+ calorie above maintain or more like 1000+ on lift days

Those natural excersices won't make you look manly anymore than your natural body looks will just tone them up.

You have to set your goal.
    Look more tone do cardio and the natrual stuff, eat lower calories
    build more muscle mass - eat big lift big

i am not a doctor and all the don't sue me crap disclaimer.
  • vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    You're going to get the book and a wide variety of answers telling you every possible alternative. Bottom line: pick up heavy things and get stronger.

You can gain muscle while having a calorie deficit. Just make sure you are getting enough protein (about 1 gram per pound of muscle mass). It is just tougher to do.

Don't get hung up on the reps/sets number. Do a weight that gives you somewhere between 6 and 20 reps.

A brief breakdown of weight lifting and fatigue:
    Your muscles store a fuel source known as glycogen which is the primary fuel source used when lifting weights (which is an anaerobic exercise). There are other sources, such as BCAAs, but it's pretty minor, particularly for a noob discussion :)

When your muscles get heavily fatigued they develop micro tears. As your body repairs these, your muscular strength increases. This is the same whether you do lots of reps or just a few.

When you do high reps at low weights you use up the available glycogen and right near the end you develop a few tears. The inability to lift more comes more because your muscles don't have glycogen to contract then because they are all shredded up.

When you do low reps at high weights your muscles tear up a lot before all the glycogen is depleted. You can't do any more reps because your muscles are too shredded up.

So both methods will build muscle. It's just one will burn more calories and the other will build more muscle.

Bottom line:
    Pick up something heavy for a bit. If you can do it a whole bunch, with energy to spare, add some weight. Repeat as necessary.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    If upping the weight prevents you from doing your desired reps on machines, check around for the small rubber weights you can add to the stack(probably laying around the gym somewhere), otherwise just do 12 (or whatever number).
  • debi_f
    Options
    "Pick up something heavy for a bit. If you can do it a whole bunch, with energy to spare, add some weight. Repeat as necessary."

Yes! This I can understand! :-)

Thank you everyone. This really helps quite a bit. Really!