Paleo Diet

Options

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Regarding fructose, fructose passes directly to the liver where it is converted into triglycerides, fatty acids, which are stored as fat.
    Regarding sugar: Carbohydrates are saccharides - sugar. White sugar, sucrose, is composed of equal parts of glucose and fructose. Glucose moves directly from the small intestine into the bloodstream. Inulin is secreted by the pancreas to transport glucose into the cells to be used as fuel. Insulin also causes the liver to secrete triglycerides for storage in the fat tissue. High levels of glucose in the bloodstream, producing high levels of insulin, can lead to insulin resistance, leading to Type 2 Diabetes.

So fructose never ever converts to glycogen and never ever is oxidized just stored as fat? What a silly fantasy world paleo adherents live in

In glycolysis performed in the liver, the first step is the phosphorylation which is the controlling step in setting the speed of the reaction.
    The glucose 6 phosphate is isomerized to fructose 6 phosphate.(then phosphorylated again)
    The enzyme that phosphorylates fructose (fructokinase) directly to fructose 6 phosphate is NOT controlled. When you eat a lot of fructose, your fructokinase levels go crazy. The amount of fructose in a piece of cake is at least ten times the amount in most servings of fruit.

What this suggests is that fructose intake can consume the available ATP within the mitochondria--which means that it can make someone who consumes a lot of fructose (remember that table sugar--sucrose--is 50% fructose and, as a nation, we eat a LOT of sucrose) quite sluggish from the loss of energy it causes in the processing. In the animal world, this is a normal part of preparing for winter hibernation (that is why black bears get very fat by gorging on massive amounts of wild blueberries late in summer---in preparation for the long winter). They get fat and sluggish. Keep eating lots of sugar if you want to get fat and sluggish.

Technically, fructose 6 phosphate CAN be converted to glucose 6 phosphate but THE REACTION IS PRIMARILY IN THE OTHER DIRECTION due to the energy gradient.

Nice copy pasta however what does glycolysis have to do with the post you quoted?

And suggesting Wheat Belly? Your argument is invalid
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I reading the Paleo Diet book right now! But I don't think I can cut dairy out of my life.. :/ I love cheese and milk too much. I cannot also cut out grains (cereals, bread, etc.) but I think i can at least cut back :) The book is giving me lots of insight into eating more protein and which meats are better than others.
    I agree with this - I took a good look at some of the recipes but ... Cheesy-biscuity goodness just keeps calling out to me!

Modern wheat and milk are not terribly good foods (okay if you are starving but they will not maximize health). Cheese and yogurt made from raw organic milk are good alternatives to regular milk (although it is difficult to get yogurt that is made from unpasteurized milk). In any case, it is not a good idea to eat a LOT of dairy if you are trying to slim down. Modern wheat (since about the 1960s) is not even close to the grain our ancestors ate (read "Wheat Belly" to find out why). High-gluten wheat (modern wheat has been specifically bred to have large amounts of gluten) is not terribly well-digested in the human gut and another substance called gliaden makes modern wheat addictive. Better choices are organic rye (they haven't messed with it much since it is not a terribly popular grain) and organic oats. A bonus in eating a bit of rye is that it has a better "muscle-sparing" function than some other carbs.
    Absolute unsubstantiated bollocks.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Regarding fructose, fructose passes directly to the liver where it is converted into triglycerides, fatty acids, which are stored as fat.
    Regarding sugar: Carbohydrates are saccharides - sugar. White sugar, sucrose, is composed of equal parts of glucose and fructose. Glucose moves directly from the small intestine into the bloodstream. Inulin is secreted by the pancreas to transport glucose into the cells to be used as fuel. Insulin also causes the liver to secrete triglycerides for storage in the fat tissue. High levels of glucose in the bloodstream, producing high levels of insulin, can lead to insulin resistance, leading to Type 2 Diabetes.

So fructose never ever converts to glycogen and never ever is oxidized just stored as fat? What a silly fantasy world paleo adherents live in

In glycolysis performed in the liver, the first step is the phosphorylation which is the controlling step in setting the speed of the reaction.
    The glucose 6 phosphate is isomerized to fructose 6 phosphate.(then phosphorylated again)
    The enzyme that phosphorylates fructose (fructokinase) directly to fructose 6 phosphate is NOT controlled. When you eat a lot of fructose, your fructokinase levels go crazy. The amount of fructose in a piece of cake is at least ten times the amount in most servings of fruit.

What this suggests is that fructose intake can consume the available ATP within the mitochondria--which means that it can make someone who consumes a lot of fructose (remember that table sugar--sucrose--is 50% fructose and, as a nation, we eat a LOT of sucrose) quite sluggish from the loss of energy it causes in the processing. In the animal world, this is a normal part of preparing for winter hibernation (that is why black bears get very fat by gorging on massive amounts of wild blueberries late in summer---in preparation for the long winter). They get fat and sluggish. Keep eating lots of sugar if you want to get fat and sluggish.

Technically, fructose 6 phosphate CAN be converted to glucose 6 phosphate but THE REACTION IS PRIMARILY IN THE OTHER DIRECTION due to the energy gradient.

Nice copy pasta however what does glycolysis have to do with the post you quoted?

Believe what you want---but you can't argue with success. I wasn't successful before and I am now that I have cut out wheat and sugar. You are being rude by the way.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    I reading the Paleo Diet book right now! But I don't think I can cut dairy out of my life.. :/ I love cheese and milk too much. I cannot also cut out grains (cereals, bread, etc.) but I think i can at least cut back :) The book is giving me lots of insight into eating more protein and which meats are better than others.
    I agree with this - I took a good look at some of the recipes but ... Cheesy-biscuity goodness just keeps calling out to me!

Modern wheat and milk are not terribly good foods (okay if you are starving but they will not maximize health). Cheese and yogurt made from raw organic milk are good alternatives to regular milk (although it is difficult to get yogurt that is made from unpasteurized milk). In any case, it is not a good idea to eat a LOT of dairy if you are trying to slim down. Modern wheat (since about the 1960s) is not even close to the grain our ancestors ate (read "Wheat Belly" to find out why). High-gluten wheat (modern wheat has been specifically bred to have large amounts of gluten) is not terribly well-digested in the human gut and another substance called gliaden makes modern wheat addictive. Better choices are organic rye (they haven't messed with it much since it is not a terribly popular grain) and organic oats. A bonus in eating a bit of rye is that it has a better "muscle-sparing" function than some other carbs.
    Absolute unsubstantiated bollocks.

I will repeat what I said to the other rude poster here. Believe what you want---it is easy to be a naysayer, by the way, than to carefully consider what someone is saying.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

I will repeat what I said to the other rude poster here. Believe what you want---it is easy to be a naysayer, by the way, than to carefully consider what someone is saying.
    There is nothing ruder than posting unsupported nonsense.
  • nicshe82
    Options
    My husband did it and he lost 60 lbs in less than a year. He was working out 5 days a week and had one cheat day a week. He read the book and basically followed the plan but he would still eat cheese.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

There is nothing ruder than posting unsupported nonsense.

You are entitled to your own opinion of course, but I think that most here would agree that I said nothing rude. I have found that cutting out wheat and sugar (not only because they are addictive for me, but also because they are more or less empty calories that crowd out more nourishing food) works for me. Many others here have found this to be true for them as well. Why be so hostile? The mods have said:

"Hello MyFitnessPals,

I would like to remind those who participate in the MyFitnessPal community of the following guideline

2. No Hi-Jacking, Trolling, or Flame-baiting

Please stay on-topic within a forum topic. Off-topic or derogatory remarks are disrespectful. Please either contribute politely and constructively to a topic, or move on without posting. This includes posts that encourage the drama in a topic to escalate, or posts intended to incite an uproar from the community.

If you feel that a series of posts are in violation of this guideline please report it and do not add fuel to the fire. If you do not agree with a suggestion, take solace in knowing that it is common knowledge that although there are some trained medical professionals that offer clinically substantiated thoughts, most users are just people that want to help. So please agree or disagree politely and leave it, if you would like to intensely debate a topic or suggestion, do so in a group, private message or a new topic (but do so politely).

Regards,

Tom
    MyFitnessPal Staff"

There is NOTHING in those guidelines that suggest one must post scientific papers in order to talk about what has worked for them. You ARE being rude, disrespectful and "flame-baiting". My grandmother always admonished, "If you can't say something polite, don't say anything at all." Good advice.
  • RockstarPunch
    RockstarPunch Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    theres a couple groups on here, you should check them out and see what they say too
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    My husband did it and he lost 60 lbs in less than a year. He was working out 5 days a week and had one cheat day a week. He read the book and basically followed the plan but he would still eat cheese.

That is GREAT! There is some research that shows eating full-fat cheese (especially cheddar for some reason) helps to trim body fat and keep it off.

NOTE to "flame-baiters" in this thread: Before you start the insults, I will tell you, no I do not have a link to the research paper but I do remember reading it somewhere along the line. I will not respond to rudeness.
  • Acg67
    Options

Believe what you want---but you can't argue with success. I wasn't successful before and I am now that I have cut out wheat and sugar. You are being rude by the way.

a8f73469-81c9-4b8e-b5c8-ba4ebcde372b.jpg
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I don't think I'll go full bore, but I am edging closer to paleo. I decided to stop all grains and cut back on dairy (I could binge on cheese all day). The first thing I am noticing is that I am not hungry all day without grains in my diet. Usually I would have a meal about 8 AM, then barely be able to hold off on eating more until 11 AM. Today I had scrambled eggs with onion around 8 AM, and I didn't even think of food again until after 1 PM. I think I'm one of those people with blood sugar problems, and eating grains causes a spike and drop in blood sugar, prompting me to eat more.

We all have differences in our metabolisms, and what works perfectly fine for one person won't work for the next person. So go by how you react to changes in your diet, not what other people say.

P.S: I really wanted to be vegan because I love all animals, but I felt terrible on a vegan diet. Really terrible. I did my research and tried to do it right but was not successful.
  • Colleen118
    Colleen118 Posts: 491 Member
    Options

Rude Posters: Every person is different and everyone doesn't lose weight using the same methods. I have been low carb/no sugar for months and have also been very successful. Not only have I lost weight but I feel better than I have in decades. I have more energy and a much better attitude. I don't feel depressed and anguished all of the time. I eat less and feel more full. Just because YOU don't believe something is worthwhile, doesn't mean it won't work for someone else. and to invalidate another person's opion on a good read is ridiculously immature.

I have done "atkins", "paleo", "Weight Watchers", and a muriad of toher low calorie, high fat, "Cleanse", and even 40 day diets. I am successful in my mixed version of low carb, no processed sugars. Do I indulge? YES, occasionally I do. BUT this is a lifestyle I am happy living on a daily basis and I feel great with it. I don't crave foods I once did... the same foods that MY BODY doesn't seem to process well and make me look and feel unhealthy so why should I feel bad about not having them regularly?

If you are successful eating all the pasta and cake you want, congratulations on having a body that is able to process those sugars better than mine. May your success continue for the remainder of your miserably negative life. As for the rest of us, we are also happy with our changes so don't hate on our success when we don't hate on yours.
  • Acg67
    Options
    Rude Posters: Every person is different and everyone doesn't lose weight using the same methods. I have been low carb/no sugar for months and have also been very successful. Not only have I lost weight but I feel better than I have in decades. I have more energy and a much better attitude. I don't feel depressed and anguished all of the time. I eat less and feel more full. Just because YOU don't believe something is worthwhile, doesn't mean it won't work for someone else. and to invalidate another person's opion on a good read is ridiculously immature.

Lol Wheat belly is a good read? Only if you like fiction books

http://noglutennoproblem.blogspot.com/2012/03/wheat-belly-busted.html

And I'm pretty sure every single person loses weight the exact same way, through a caloric deficit.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

I have done "atkins", "paleo", "Weight Watchers", and a muriad of toher low calorie, high fat, "Cleanse", and even 40 day diets. I am successful in my mixed version of low carb, no processed sugars. Do I indulge? YES, occasionally I do. BUT this is a lifestyle I am happy living on a daily basis and I feel great with it. I don't crave foods I once did... the same foods that MY BODY doesn't seem to process well and make me look and feel unhealthy so why should I feel bad about not having them regularly?

If you are successful eating all the pasta and cake you want, congratulations on having a body that is able to process those sugars better than mine. May your success continue for the remainder of your miserably negative life. As for the rest of us, we are also happy with our changes so don't hate on our success when we don't hate on yours.

Thank you, Colleen, I concur completely. :flowerforyou:
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

And I'm pretty sure every single person loses weight the exact same way, through a caloric deficit.

I'm assuming you are a man---most of this kind of negativity comes from men, btw. In the real world, women have to deal with the effect of their female hormones. Estrogen, in particular, raises blood sugar levels (ever heard of gestational diabetes--check it out if you don't believe me) and that brings a host of other metabolic problems along with it--making fat-loss much more difficult for those afflicted in that way.
  • Acg67
    Options

I'm assuming you are a man---most of this kind of negativity comes from men, btw. In the real world, women have to deal with the effect of their female hormones. Estrogen, in particular, raises blood sugar levels (ever heard of gestational diabetes--check it out if you don't believe me) and that brings a host of other metabolic problems along with it--making fat-loss much more difficult for those afflicted in that way.

Ah and so they lose weight through some other means, other than a caloric deficit?
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    i've been on it for 10 weeks, love it...lost 3% bf in 8 weeks and 6 pounds in 8 weeks, feel better, acne gone, anxiety gone....best thing I ever did.
    I never changed my calorie intake or output, just switched to Paleo foods , adjusted my macros, and I am getting much better results, before I was at a standstill.
    but you are going to get alot of slammers on here, mostly from people who never even tried it.

I would suggest joing the Paleo group :happy:
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    In the Elitist™ world, every human body is exactly the same, no variables, no hormone difficulties. All are equal, all black and white. Do yourself a fav and join a group.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Flamer, are you really assuming that everybody's body works the exact same way that yours does? Yes, it takes the same basic formula to lose weight - eat less, move more - but not every body will thrive on the same balance of macros.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

Ah and so they lose weight through some other means, other than a caloric deficit?

No--calories do ultimately count but anyone desiring fat loss, must force their bodies into burning body fat for his/her energy needs---which varies a great deal from person to person. My husband has approximately 70% more lean body mass (he's a big guy) than I do, so it is much easier for him to go into calorie deficit than it is for me. Plus, if you add in the "fat-hoarding hormone" estrogen, which tends to make women's bodies "want" to burn muscle rather than fat for energy needs, some drastic measures are called for. Thus, cutting out the nearly empty calories of sugar and white flour (and wheat in general for some specific reasons of appetite control) are often very helpful measures. This is true for women in particular, but for men with a lot of weight to lose as well (body fat pumps estrogen into their blood streams too---thus "man-boobs"). The diet that doesn't rob your body of important nutrients is the diet you will stay on (because you feel better) and we all have basic needs that cannot be disregarded or we will suffer a deterioration of health (believe me, I know how fast one's body deteriorates on starvation diets). This "no- sugar-no-wheat" diet makes me feel well while I am losing body fat---thus I will stay on it. Anymore questions?