Substitutions for almond flour/milk

Options
Good morning.

Starting off the new year getting my butt in gear. I am trying to cut out some of the wheat in my diet and found some gluten free recipes but a lot contain almond flour or milk. I am allergic to almonds. Any ideas on what I could substitute it with?

Replies

• hdsqrl
    hdsqrl Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I've never cooked with either of these, but perhaps rice flour/rice milk? Or do those contain gluten as well?
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Coconut flour? That's one I know of off the top of my head! I've actually found fantastic help from employees at Trader Joe's and Whole Foods about things like this! I think there is a flaxseed kind as well.

Also coconut milk might work too but the unsweetend kind would be best, you'd find it with the dairy alternatives.
  • bronnyd
    bronnyd Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Rice flour and rice milk would be ok.
  • jesswait
    jesswait Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Soy Milk, Rice Milk, or maybe Coconut milk if you are only allergic to tree nuts. As far as almond flour, I can't really suggest a specific substitute because I don't know what purpose the almond flour was selected for in the recipe. There are tons of different wheat-free flours and substituting seems to work with finding what two or more flour mixes serve a specific purpose in the recipe. This is a good site for gluten-free baking, perhaps some of her flour mixtures would be appropriate. http://glutenfreeonashoestring.com/the-gluten-free-flour-blend-test/
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Coconut milk is good for use in cold applications but don't try cooking with it. For flour there are TONS of good substitutes--best IMO is oat flour or rice flour.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Peanut flour or coconut flour? Rice flour is high glycaemic index and high carb so behaves like sugar in the body, it's no substitute for almond flour which is very low GI and low carb.