2»

Replies

• lindsay1982
    lindsay1982 Posts: 245 Member
    Refined sugars as in that piece of chocolate I just ate... O_o

*CHOCOLATE has two O's
  • karmasBFF
    karmasBFF Posts: 699 Member
    HOLY MOLEY, BATMAN!!! You have no idea how much BETTER about this! I was limiting my fruits because I thought I was supposed to!!! You all know me and I will of course conduct my own "independent" research...but I'm bout to go eat my banana!! With pride, too!!!!
  • willywonka
    willywonka Posts: 743 Member
    I just bought some strawberries and ambrosia apples at lunch, have you guys had these apples? they are delicious!!
  • emberd
    emberd Posts: 36
    I'm so glad you posted this because I had the same concern. I turned off my sugar because it was discouraging. Now I track fiber and if I go over, it's ok because my dr. said so!
  • sharibrat
    sharibrat Posts: 39 Member
    What about sugar that is in milk? Should I ignore that also? I drink a lot of milk and it puts me over my sugar.

Ignore it. It's lactose...perfectly fine. Although...how much do you drink?

I probably drink about 2-3 cups a day.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    What about sugar that is in milk? Should I ignore that also? I drink a lot of milk and it puts me over my sugar.

Ignore it. It's lactose...perfectly fine. Although...how much do you drink?

I probably drink about 2-3 cups a day.

That's a good amount...now if ypu were drinking a half gallon or more...then I'd tell you to back off it a little, lol.
  • sharibrat
    sharibrat Posts: 39 Member
    I used to drink 1/2 gallon a day in high school! Hope I have good bones!
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    some fruit is higher in sugar than others. here is a breakdown:

Fruits Lowest in Sugar

•Small Amounts of Lemon or Lime
    •Rhubarb
    •Raspberries
    •Blackberries
    •Cranberries

Fruits Low to Medium in Sugar

•Strawberries
    •Casaba Melon
    •Papaya
    •Watermelon
    •Peaches
    •Nectarines
    •Blueberries
    •Cantaloupes
    •Honeydew Melons
    •Apples
    •Guavas - Pineapple Guavas (Feijoa) and Strawberry Guavas are probably similar
    •Apricots
    •Grapefruit

Fruits Fairly High in Sugar

•Plums
    •Oranges
    •Kiwifruit
    •Pears
    •Pineapple

Fruits Very High in Sugar

•Tangerines
    •Cherries
    •Grapes
    •Pomegranates
    •Mangos
    •Figs
    •Bananas
    •Dried Fruit, such as

•Dates
    •Raisins
    •Dried Apricots
    •Prunes
  • lindsay1982
    some fruit is higher in sugar than others. here is a breakdown:

I took out the list, b/c it was so long, but really wanted to say thanks for this. There are a lot I kinda knew, but also a lot I didn't. Thank you, ma'am, for your fine research!!:flowerforyou:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    bump
  • jrbowers83
    jrbowers83 Posts: 282 Member
    Thx, Melanie & rosecapmom, I will. Oooo, I never thought about berries. What about raspberries?? Well, guess so, they're a berry... O_o

Raspberries are one of the most high fiber fruits (about 8 grams in one cup). Also, all berries are lower in carbs than most other fruits (bananas are really high, and only half a banana is one fruit serving). Melons are a good choice too. One of my fave snacks/desserts is a melon/berry fruit mix (about 1 cup total) with 2 tbsp of cool whip free. So yummy it's like having a sundae!
  • lindsay1982
    Thx, Melanie & rosecapmom, I will. Oooo, I never thought about berries. What about raspberries?? Well, guess so, they're a berry... O_o

Raspberries are one of the most high fiber fruits (about 8 grams in one cup). Also, all berries are lower in carbs than most other fruits (bananas are really high, and only half a banana is one fruit serving). Melons are a good choice too. One of my fave snacks/desserts is a melon/berry fruit mix (about 1 cup total) with 2 tbsp of cool whip free. So yummy it's like having a sundae!

Must Go Buy Cool Whip Free!!!!!!!!! OMG, that sounds likes it'd rock my socks!!
  • You should chose fruits that have a low glycemic index....some examples are grapefruits and apples. The sweeter the fruit the higher the sugar content or glycemic index number and that is what makes you gain weight because the calories are high. Good luck.....and you dont have to have fruit everyday.:wink:
  • Nikiki
    Nikiki Posts: 993
    I just bought some strawberries and ambrosia apples at lunch, have you guys had these apples? they are delicious!!

OMG I know they're AMAZING! those and honeycrisps are my favorate... I think I need to go get some apples tonight :)
  • jrobertson37
    jrobertson37 Posts: 90 Member
    Thanks so much for posting this question. I almost gave up on fruit because they have so many carbs and i was always going over my limit. So now Im going to enjoy my apples/organges/pears.

Thanks you guys:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • karmasBFF
    karmasBFF Posts: 699 Member
    You should chose fruits that have a low glycemic index....some examples are grapefruits and apples. The sweeter the fruit the higher the sugar content or glycemic index number and that is what makes you gain weight because the calories are high. Good luck.....and you dont have to have fruit everyday.:wink:

these fruits also cause your blood sugar to spike and then you crash later...Low Glycemic index is the way to go! There is a list somewhere on a recent fruit/sugar thread that lists them in order of best for you...I remember the berries being at the top! Do a search; its definitely worth finding!
This discussion has been closed.