Exercise ideas

Options
Hi everyone! I've just started mfp and love it so far! My biggest challenge is exercise. I teach full-time, always have work to do at home, and have a 3 1/2 year old daughter. I do not want to leave her at daycare all day, and then at the gym's daycare. Does anyone have any advice of effective exercise I can do at home, at little or no cost?
Thanks in advance!
Maureen

Replies

• sho3girl
    sho3girl Posts: 10,799 Member
    Options
    you tube has lots and lots sadly i dont have internet at home - zumba and jilian michaals 30 day shred ...are great examples ... find somthing fun to do with your daughter ... dancing around your living room is still moviing and getting your heart rate up.

enjoy and welcome !
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Hey! I'm a teacher too! Lots of take-home homework, ugh.

Look on You Tube. There are hundreds and hundreds of workout videos posted there. Both aerobic and strength training. There's yoga, pilates, bootcamp, dance...pretty much anything you might be interested in, you'll find videos. Personally, I like the Leslie Sansone Walk Away The Pounds and the Fitness Blender Strength Training series.

Try searching things like "Cardio workouts" "Aerobics workouts" "Weightloss exercises" "Strength training for women" stuff like that. Explore.

The thing is that you can do it at home, with very little space, and no equipment (except maybe some handweights), and completely free. If you can keep your little one occupied for 30 minutes, you can easily get some time to work on yourself right at home.
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    my daughter has a 1 1/2yr old and a 2 1/2 yr old and she is a teacher too. she bought the insanity program and uses that. she gets up an hour earlier than everyone else and does it . she said she has more energy than ever now and that she just loves the very hard and challenging workout it presents.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Also, when you take her out to play, play with her. Play chase in the park. You get on a swing and pump your legs like crazy (you'll be surprised at how much of a workout that is!). Climb the monkey bars. Do angled push-ups on the bottom rungs of the monkey bars. Push her on the swings and get some work on your chest and triceps. Throw a ball back and forth (and run to get it when it doesn't come anywhere near you). Have fun! Play is exercise!
  • nkuhstoss
    nkuhstoss Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm with ya, I love mfp too! It has helped me so much being accountable for what I eat. I have a full time job, 1.5 hour drive to and from work and a 1 year old and a 3 year old...so I am totally understanding how hard it is to find the time!! And by the time I do find time I am so darn tired. The ONLY thing that I have found that I can do is wake up an hour early to get my exercise in. I switch between the insanity workout videos (you can choose any workout video really) and I do a circuit training work out (Jessica Simpson's daisy duke routine that I found on Pinterest!). Although it is extremely hard to wake up at 4:15 AM it's the only answer for me. But I guess getting results means working really hard.

Good luck finding something that works for you! Hang in there! :)
  • ErinRibbens
    ErinRibbens Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Check your local library for free workout DVD's, or YouTube. Or get a book and do some at-home routines. With a decent set of dumbbells or a barbell you could do a lot of things.

Also, when it's nice weather don't forget running and/or walking and/or biking outdoors! You can use a jogging stroller for now and won't be long till your DD can ride her bike alongside.
  • SandersWifey
    Options
    Hey I am a teacher also and now how tough it is to get a work out in! I work out at home using DVD's, stuff from online, or on my treadmill! I find that it is easier to get up a little earlier and work out in the mornings than to wait till the evening, because I am usually to tired by the end of the day!!
  • terrygran
    Options
    Youtube and the library are great ideas. Wii (or other console) FItness is an option. I have 5 month old twins who love to watch me do the 30 Day Shred. When it gets warm again I will go back to taking them running.
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    I just started my third month of a DVD series called Supreme 90. It is somewhat similar to P90x. I really like it. I like the price tag the best. It was less than $12 through Amazon. It has 10 different workouts. They are anywhere from 30 to 50 minutes with a warm-up and cool-down. They are challenging but I feel great when I am done. You need dumbbells at a high enough weight to challenge you. I use a heavier weight for my leg workout (17 in each hand). Some of the arm routines I have to go to 8-10 lb weights. They really encourage you to start at weight that is manageable for you but is going to challenge you to get your reps in. It also has a Tabata workout that is killer. I have steadily increased what I am able to lift and my cardio endurance has really increased as well. You also need a stability ball. I got mine at Walmart for less than $10.

Edited to add that the program has an eating program that was put together by Tosca Reno.
  • Maureen689
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I used to run and workout at the gym, so I was clueless when it came to home workouts. I think the mornings will have to be my time to shine!

Thanks again!