How to Diet with no Money

I am currently unemployed. I want to use this time to get healthier and lose weight because I finally have time to cook meals and exercise. When I go to the store to buy mostly fresh produce and proteins my grocery bill triples! Because I have 0 income I feel pressured to buy things that will last longer and cost less such as Ramen Noodles, Beans, Rice, Pasta, etc. I know that these things should not be the bulk of what I am eating but my cabinets are empty and I don't know what else to do. I am truly always HUNGRY. Even though I have been more active, I have actually gained weight because of my carb intake. I have $20 to buy my food for the next month. There has to be an affordable solution to this problem. Please Help.

Replies

• RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Hahaha. Dieting with no money is easy... you don't buy food. I am sometimes on the forgot-my-wallet-diet all day at school. Super effective except I feel a little faint by 2.
  • I know that feeling. I am trying to feed 7 on a very, very tight budget. We eat ramen noodles ofter and other things like you said will last longer.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    I am not ashamed to admit that sometimes I go to the store when they've just marked down produce and meats and get them at a pretty discounted rate. I then freeze or cook immediately.

I also coupon!
  • ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Well first I'd suggest either seeking unemployment or benefits from the government, that is why it is there afterall, secondly, check out your local food pantry if you are in need of more options(many times they have some selections of fresh veg). I'd recommend things like turkey chili(ground turkey is bulk is cheap and you can use rice and beans to make large portions and freeze/refridge it). I'd recommend a site called Budget Bites, which focues on cheap recipes.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    We are often unable to buy fresh foods due to budget constraints as well. If you cannot change your diet much, you can work on portion control. That's how I've lost my weight so far.
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,670 Member
    Hahaha. Dieting with no money is easy... you don't buy food. I am sometimes on the forgot-my-wallet-diet all day at school. Super effective except I feel a little faint by 2.

yep. I've been on THAT diet a few times.
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Okay, real answer... 20 dollars for the month is pretty tight. I used to do 20 a week, and that was tight. Buy dry rice and beans, some cheap frozen chicken, some cheap fresh produce, and maybe some canned or frozen. It's going to be pretty bland and repetitive, but you can probably stretch through a month that way. Try Asian and Hispanic markets for cheap meat / produce / rice and beans. Seriously, I'd hit up a food pantry / food bank and supplement it with that if there is one local that you qualify for.

BTW: a diet of rice and beans is pretty nutritious and a lot of the world subsists on that. Nix the noodles though, and go for brown rice.
  • michellelhartwig
    michellelhartwig Posts: 486 Member
    Well first I'd suggest either seeking unemployment or benefits from the government, that is why it is there afterall, secondly, check out your local food pantry if you are in need of more options(many times they have some selections of fresh veg). I'd recommend things like turkey chili(ground turkey is bulk is cheap and you can use rice and beans to make large portions and freeze/refridge it). I'd recommend a site called Budget Bites, which focues on cheap recipes.

Is this the website?

http://budgetbytes.blogspot.com/
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Planning. Your on a super tight budget so you have to counteract that with knowing what you can get then work it all out ahead of tome.
  • JingleMuffin
    JingleMuffin Posts: 543 Member
    we skip dive a few times a week. thats right. i jump into a dumpster at night and get a lot of awesome produce. thats how i do it. Its not bad food. if there is a whole bag of oranges and one is squished they throw the whole bag out cause they cant sell it i get them, take them home and wash them. all kinds of things get thrown out that arent expired or bad. so i take them all home and eat good and healthy.
  • AdamBellfpt
    AdamBellfpt Posts: 224 Member
    My advice would be to go to a cheaper frozen food shop and you can stock up on your fruit and veg in frozen form….much cheaper than freh and wont go off!
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Ramen Noodles, Beans, Rice, Pasta, etc......whatever, it is what it is...include some muli-vitamins and worry not.
    I've been where you are.
    Never forget these lean times, because when things get good, your appreciation for life's blessings will remain.
    Just make the best of this situation and stay motivated.
    No matter the challenges, no matter the trials, no matter the setbacks.
    Just stay inspired, motivated and always push hard toward your goals.
    All Is Possible!
  • chervil6
    chervil6 Posts: 236 Member
    try finding a cheaper frozen food shop for veg .. we have shops such as iceland , farmfoods and herons here in the UK , which are all towards the cheaper end of food pricing
  • This is a great time of year for frozen veggies to be on sale
  • AReasor
    AReasor Posts: 355 Member
    I would get those cheap staples you mentioned and mix them with the fresh produce and meat. Don't knock frozen veggies either.
  • Joluru
    Joluru Posts: 89 Member
    $20 a month isn't even $1 a day. I don't know how you can possible eat, let alone eat healthy, on that budget.

Beans and brown rice are a very healthy combination. Add in some cheap veggies like carrots, celery, cabbage, and canned tomato sauce, and you have a very low cost, high fiber meal that will keep you full for a long time.

Oatmeal is also very inexpensive, filling, and good for you.

Eggs make an inexpensive protein, as does canned tuna. Powdered milk is less expensive than liquid.

I think the first priority has to be increasing your budget if you're not going to be on a very minimal, near starvation diet. If a job isn't coming quickly, consider asking friends for a loan, using credit, or applying for food stamps. It is just not a sustainable budget.
  • NuggetLovesEdie
    NuggetLovesEdie Posts: 477 Member
    Lentils, peas, beans, etc are good sources of protein that don't cost very much per serving.

You can use these to make soups, stews, salads, and a surprising array of things like "meatballs" or "burgers".

When I was really struggling financially, I would splurge on a whole chicken and roast it.

One meal would be roast chicken thigh/drumstick. I would use one breast for another dinner (on its own with steamed broccoli and mashed potatoes), the other breast for another dinner (flavoring up a stirfry), and the other leg/incidental back meat to expand and flavor some thing like enchiladas with black beans a sweet potatoes.

Then I'd save the carcass plus any vegetable scraps to make chicken broth for soup.

Used to call that "rubber chicken" because of how far I could stretch it! :)

Seconding the notion that you might be able to get some temporary assistance from an emergency food bank. That's what they're there for. You might not get your choice of favorites, but you will get some decent things that won't cost your budget.
  • Buy frozen vegetables. They're not as nutrient-packed as fresh produce, but they are healthy, cheaper, and they last a lot longer than the fresh stuff!
  • DamnImASexyBitch
    DamnImASexyBitch Posts: 740 Member
    How much to you have to spend weekly? I have to feed a family of 4, and I can do it with coupons and sales for about $100. This is with a lot of fresh produce, meats ( chicken mostly, sometimes pork or beef ) and a limited amount of pasta/breads.
  • SammyKatt13
    SammyKatt13 Posts: 124 Member

I second that website! I went from spending $200 a week to $50 a week using that site. I was feeding 2 people and still buying my very expensive protein shakes from costco that we both drank every morning. =P