Quitting smoking?

Options
So m doing it again...quitting smoking and was wondering who else out there may want to support that? I quit in 2010 and started again in 2011-12. Have big tri goals this year and don't want smoking as part of it.

Anyone need support during their non smoking quest as well?

Replies

• wcaldwelld
    wcaldwelld Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    good luck on the journey of quitting smoking i know it is hard to do i quit 3 years ago and was a 3 pack a day smoker... i still love smoke and the smell of it i will say i went cold turkey and gained some weight but not alot..

I will be here to support your efforts... good luck!!!
  • sarahmichelle91xx
    sarahmichelle91xx Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I would love to be able to quit smoking, I only found the willpower both times I was pregnant but started up again literally days after each was born! I'm currently looking at getting nicotine patches etc, wishing you luck!!
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    4 months smoke free for me after 17 years of a 3 packs a week. The workouts help a LOT. Every time I get a craving I think of how much my workouts and body would suffer.
  • Gemmax0902
    Gemmax0902 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Stopping smoking is also one of my goals in the New Year.

I will be 30 in May and if I'm still smoking by then that will have made me a smoker for half my life so far :cry:

I have given up in the past but as many of us do I started again, this time I will stop for good.

I am currently 3/4 the way through "Allen Carr's - Easy Way For Woman To Stop Smoking Without Gaining Weight" and have to say it has completly changed the way I now think about smoking. Hopefully I will be a non-smoker by the time I finish the book.

Please feel free to add me as I could do with some support with this and am only to happy to help others if I can.

Love Gemma xx
  • Carol_Magee
    Carol_Magee Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Today I celebrate 10 years of being a non-smoker. Yippee!! I smoked 2 large packs a day. I was 57 years old and smoked since I was about 16. I quit because of the cost and fear. I guess I'd be dead by now if I hadn't quit. Nicotine gum was my saving tool. The physical addiction goes away long before the habit. It took a long time before I stopped reaching for (nonexistant) cigarettes. Don't give up - you'll be happy as a non-smoker and you'll find out how smelly smoking is. Not to mention the money you'll save!
  • bdotshaw
    bdotshaw Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking a little over three months ago using Chantix. It's been a tough journey, but I actually tried to cheat yesterday (drunken NYE f*ckery), and the cigarette was much too strong...it burned my throat!. Two drags and it was out the window. Chantix worked amazingly well for me and I occasionally use an electronic cigarette.

Good luck on this difficult journey. Feel free to add me.
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    I quit in October when I quit drinking and started going to the gym.. I can't do one without the other.
  • babycakes2000
    Options
    I have also quit smoking for the new year, i am finding the e ciggerette a life saver, id probably of tried to strangle my fiance by now if i didnt have it. You should think of getting one if you start to find it hard, or miss the feeling in the back of your throat from smoking. Good luck ::) Hannah
  • Angecus
    Angecus Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I had my last cig on New Year's Eve. This is day 3 and so far, so good. Cold turkey was the only way to do it for me. I have been smoking a half a pack a day for 29 years. Good luck to all of us!
  • The_Invisible_Boy
    The_Invisible_Boy Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I quit 6 1/2 years ago. I smoked 1-2 packs a day plus chewed a can of skoal a day for around 20 yrs. I tried cold turkey, hypnosis, patches and the gum. None of them worked for me. I went and did the acupuncture and walked out of there like I never smoked or chewed. It made it the easiest thing in my life. No anxiety and no cravings. One of the best decisions I've ever made. I highly recommend looking into it.
  • drp121274
    drp121274 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I quit in Novemeber (for the third time). I had quit two other times on Chantix, but I quit because I found it too hard to date as a smoker - so I quit for the wrong reason. This time I quit for myself. I actually stopped using the Chantix right after I quit (even though you are supposed to keep using it). I just kept forgetting to take it, then realized, hey, I can do it without the meds :)

I have my health to think about now. It isn't about dating or quiting for someone else. I think that is the only way it works, if you want to quit for you!
  • staciarose13
    staciarose13 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    My last puff of a cigarette was a week ago Tuesday. It was really really tough at first but I got generic Nicorette Lozenges and those helped SO MUCH. Although I read on reviews on Amazon that a lot of people got addicted to the lozenges, which scared me, but I only used one or two a day and they worked wonders! I haven't used any lozenges for 3 days now and I feel fine. Just tired and emotional haha.
  • Angecus
    Angecus Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I made it to day 4. It's been 96 hours since my last cig. omg.
  • nornas42
    nornas42 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Good luck and good for you! My fiance quit cold turkey almost 2 years ago and hasn't had once since. I totally think its doable... its not necessarily easy. The big thing that helped him was taking away some of the environmental & behavioral triggers for doing it. So, no time around other smokers, no bars, etc. Now it doesn't hold any temptation, even around his family who all smoke.

YOU HAVE THIS.
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Quitting smoking is easy. I've done it dozens of times

;)
  • KarenJ15
    KarenJ15 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I smoked over a pack a day for 31 years. Last cig was March 31, 2012. It's been over 9 months and I don't miss it at all. Many failed attempts to quit over the years, but this one is it. I don't like the smell anymore at all.

The things that helped me the most were the electronic cig (but not the kind that look like a cig, they don't "smoke" enough). And I went cold turkey with the nicotine. I used 0mg nicotine liquid for the e-cig. It satisfied the hand to mouth part of smoking, as well as the feeling of the smoke being inhaled.

I also used an app for my phone called Quit Now. I still have it to remind myself how much money I saved so far and how many cigs I have not smoked. It also shows the health benefits of not smoking as you go along.

Good luck to anyone quitting. It's hard but definitely worth it. I never realized how out of breath I was doing simple things that I would never be able to do now while exercising if I was still smoking.
  • CarlieeBear
    CarlieeBear Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I've never been a smoker...got lucky to not get addicted when I tried it as a teen. However, my bf is trying to quit. He's down from a pack/day to a half pack/day. So proud of him!
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, most definitely. Also trying to quit. Kind of have to. Some days I almost make it, but I have zero willpower (even with patch + gum) living with smokers. Don't want to blame them, but I just am having such a hard time with it.

I did quit for over a year, once, in different conditions.

Good luck to you :)
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Hey how's it going without the smokes? I'm on day 1 today, and it's not terrible.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Hey! I'm knocking on my one year anniversary of being smoke free. My date is January 16th. I smoked for 33 years and quit using Chantix, but the stuff made me incredibly loopy. Really. It was a wonder I still had a job by the time I came off of it. Cinnamon sticks helped a great deal! I chomped at least a hundred of them.