Calf cramps/twitching

Options
After my long runs my calves are usually on fire and if you watch them they look like hearts beating. It can get pretty aggravating. Every so often I'll wake up during the night with a full cramp. It will be sore for a few days after too.

Just wondering if anyone else experiences this and what you do for it? I eat a banana most every day which is more potassium than supplements. I've started taking magnesium and just popped a couple S-Caps. I think I'm going for a tablespoon of mustard and wash it down with pickle juice now. Whatever helps---I'll try it at this point!

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Roll those *****es out with a PVC pipe.
  • __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    you are over hydrated
  • Vansy
    Vansy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Foam roll them. And your hamstrings/quads/and lower back too. There are times that my calves have done that and it was because my lower back and hamstrings were too tight. Are you stretching after you run????
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Last year I had issues with my calf muscles tighten up whilst running. Incorporated some stretches to do beforehand and haven't had the problem since.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    I would definitely look at getting enough magnesium - really helped me with muscle cramps

Here is a great article

http://www.charlespoliquin.com/ArticlesMultimedia/Articles/Article/853/Prevent_Muscle_Cramps.aspx
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Roll those *****es out with a PVC pipe.
    I use a rolling pin.
    Man does that help.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Almonds have a good mix of magnesium and potassium...might help.
  • OtiWanKenobi
    OtiWanKenobi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Potassium helps a lot with cramps...eat a banana before a run.

Also, if you are putting in serious mileage I suggest purchasing salt tabs or you can go the cheap route like me and carry around the little salt packets you get from fast food restaurants. Take it with water while on your run when you reach mile 6 or 7....then every 3 or 4 miles after. Learned this from my marathon running coach and worked for me!