recommendations for getting BF percentage down?

Options
so I am almost at my goal weight (well, I was but then lowered the goal by 5 lbs.). now I really want to shift the focus away from weight loss and towards fat loss. for those who have been successful getting that done, how did you do it? should i lift more often and heavier? increase cardio?

i am 5'6", 145.6 lbs. and about 30.6% bodyfat, age 43. i want to get the weight to around 140 and the bf% to about 25-27%. i currently attend group fitness at kosama. we do a combination of different types of exercises, i go about 5 days per week. i have discretion about how much to do on lifting/kettlebell days so i can control the intensity.

calorie wise, my bmr is about 1350. i am set at eating that PLUS exercise calories right now. This keeps me at a nice deficit, as I usually eat back most if not all my exercise calories. But maybe i need to increase my intake if i want to switch the focus to decreasing body fat versus pounds?

most people here on MFP are kind on the boards. However, if you think i should "know better" and I am going at this "all wrong" don't bother responding if you can't find a respectful way to correct me and give helpful advice! thank you in advance.

Replies

• watfordjc
    watfordjc Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    What I plan on doing when I'm that close to goal is reduce my deficit to a target of 0.5 pounds a week (or maintenance, don't know yet) and do more lifting (or the same as I'd be doing at that point but focussing on making gains in strength). My reasoning being I would have been in a deficit for about a year or longer, and my maintenance level might be lower than I expect - any extra calories can go on as muscle. I don't think I'd be dropping the cardio as I'd be at the point where I'll also be trying to gradually increase my jogging/running distance - although if I've worked up to 5 days a week I might drop it down to 3 regular length runs plus a longer run.

That's just me though and "The Plan" I've made. I may have changed my mind in ~60 weeks time and do something completely different - this isn't a "this worked for me!" reply.
  • Sarah0866
    Sarah0866 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    High-intensity interval training 2-3 times a week, diet free of any overly processed food, and cross-training :)
  • JustPeachy044
    JustPeachy044 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    High-intensity interval training 2-3 times a week, diet free of any overly processed food, and cross-training :)

my workouts are generally intense, so that is good.

i generally despise processed foods, try to eat plant-based and clean, so that is good. i do struggle to get enough protein, though. and i believe that is critical! still a work in progress. i have a feeling this is my biggest challenge!

cross-training is built into my fitness program, so i have that too.

thank you!
  • JustPeachy044
    Options

Thank you.

just read that thread. seems pretty straightfoward. as I told another poster, i think i have things moving in the right direction, apparently my biggest hurdle right now is to get enough protein. i am not a big meat eater at all, don't love eggs, and it is a challenge for me to get enough protein! i have to think and work hard to meet that macro goal every day.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    You might benefit from getting into a heavy weight lifting program (as well as eating enough protein). 2-3 days a week. I'd recommend Starting Strength, StrongLifts 5x5, or New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Thank you.

just read that thread. seems pretty straightfoward. as I told another poster, i think i have things moving in the right direction, apparently my biggest hurdle right now is to get enough protein. i am not a big meat eater at all, don't love eggs, and it is a challenge for me to get enough protein! i have to think and work hard to meet that macro goal every day.

I am a vegetarian but have no issue with getting enough protein. I find low fat dairy such as greek yogurt and milk really helps. I often do not need it, but do supplement my protein with protein powder when necessary.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    You might benefit from getting into a heavy weight lifting program (as well as eating enough protein). 2-3 days a week. I'd recommend Starting Strength, StrongLifts 5x5, or New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women.

^^agreed
  • daterminedfatburnerX
    Options
    one word "Paleo"
  • TheRealPDouble
    Options
    one word "Paleo"

I would just use three words...

1. Eat
    2. Real
    3. Food
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    one word "Paleo"

1. Eat
    2. Real
    3. Food

OH! And here I was eating fake food. No wonder I'm fat. Thanks so much!!
  • DeMayr
    DeMayr Posts: 67
    Options
    I'd simply lift every time you are at the gym. Get a good routine/split going, lift heavy. Protein around .5 - 1 gram per pound of lean body mass. Stay at a caloric deficit, and you're all good.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    one word "Paleo"

two words "Not necessary"
  • cirvine49
    cirvine49 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    To maintain your weight you should have approximately 30 to 35 calories per kg. -- with 1 to 1.5 g of protein per kg of body weight. You want to increase your muscle fibre size (hyperplasia) to increase your lean muscle tissue with higher intensity weight training and moderate intensity cardio. 7-8 reps at 60-80% 1RM using time under tension--- 3-1-3. Within 30 minutes of a workout have a whey protein drink and then eat a meal within 2 hours with 2:1 Carbs to Protein. .8 g of Carbs per kg of body weight and .4 g of protein per kg of body weight.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    To maintain your weight you should have approximately 30 to 35 calories per kg. -- with 1 to 1.5 g of protein per kg of body weight. You want to increase your muscle fibre size (hyperplasia) to increase your lean muscle tissue with higher intensity weight training and moderate intensity cardio. 7-8 reps at 60-80% 1RM using time under tension--- 3-1-3. Within 30 minutes of a workout have a whey protein drink and then eat a meal within 2 hours with 2:1 Carbs to Protein. .8 g of Carbs per kg of body weight and .4 g of protein per kg of body weight.

Why do you say that you need to have a shake within 30 minutes of a workout? If you are referring to the 'anabolic window' that has pretty much been shown as a myth.
  • TheRealPDouble
    Options
    one word "Paleo"

1. Eat
    2. Real
    3. Food

OH! And here I was eating fake food. No wonder I'm fat. Thanks so much!!

mystery solved
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I am 44 and nearly to my goal weight as well - have been for about 6 months. :tongue: But while my scale has hardly moved, the fat and inches are still coming off, and I've dropped another pants size. I follow the guidelines in this topic and it's working great for me at losing the fat: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • JustPeachy044
    Options
    thank you everybody! especially to those who stayed true to the question and didn't get caught up in the argument with other posters about what good eating is...i asked for recommendations, every one has the right to recommend what you think is best. I then have the right and responsibility to accept or reject any suggestions, right?
  • amonkey794
    amonkey794 Posts: 651 Member
    Options

^^agreed

yes.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Another consideration. Think about how much activity (exercise) you plan on doing during maintenance as well. So if you are presently doing far more than what you will do during maintenance, you will want to tune it down. Eventually, your total deficit should be no greater than 300 calories below your adjusted TDEE and your exercise volume should nearly mirror what it will be during maintenance. That way, both in terms of eating and exercise, you only need a slight adjustment to switch to maintenance.