Nutritional Values in a meal...?

Options
PackerFanInGB
PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,335 Member
Does anyone know of a good website or how to determine the nutritional values, such as protein, carbs, sugar, fat, etc., in a meal by typing in the ingredients? For instance, my husband is making chili tonight and I am wondering how to track something like that because of the many ingredients in a pot of chili.

Thanks!

Replies

• Car0lynnM
    Car0lynnM Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    There is a function on this web site to do just that!! On the food tab, click on recipes. Super easy to use!!
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    I use this all the time, it's really awesome...

http://caloriecount.about.com/cc/recipe_analysis.php
  • lja20
    lja20 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I use the recipe function on MFP regularly and then look at the nutritional information of the recipe. I'm not totally satisfied with the difficulty of entering quantities of ingredients. I used to use a Mac program called Diet Sleuth that let me type in specific weights of items. But for the most part, most of my regular go-to meals are entered as recipes and I can see the resulting nutritional info just fine.
  • mtabh
    mtabh Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Create a recipe on MFP. I do this as I cook most nights and change the ingredients or amounts based on nutritional values and calories.
  • onepillarofsalt
    onepillarofsalt Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Question: how does everyone calculate how many servings are in, say, a pot of chili? I'm good at tracking what I'm putting in a recipe, but I can't figure out the serving size and number. Example: I make spaghetti with say, 12 ounces of ground turkey meat and a jar of Prego. The only way I can figure out how to measure how many servings it is to scoop it out into a bowl, then measure the number of cups as I put it back in the pot. Lol. Pretty sure I'm doing it in a super goofy way, there's gotta be a better method!
  • RunnerInVT
    RunnerInVT Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    There is a function on this web site to do just that!! On the food tab, click on recipes. Super easy to use!!
    ^^^^ this! I have made a few dishes and put them together so all I have to do is click on "my meals " and there it is. I dont add it to the data base its a pain but use it for me personally. Think you need to do it on the PC...wont work using my kindle fire...
  • PackerFanInGB
    Options
    Thank you! I'll have to dig around and find the function on here, and also check out the website you posted. I am just starting to use this site seriously, so don't know all the in's and out's yet! Thank you so much for your help! :smile:
  • PackerFanInGB
    Options
    Question: how does everyone calculate how many servings are in, say, a pot of chili? I'm good at tracking what I'm putting in a recipe, but I can't figure out the serving size and number. Example: I make spaghetti with say, 12 ounces of ground turkey meat and a jar of Prego. The only way I can figure out how to measure how many servings it is to scoop it out into a bowl, then measure the number of cups as I put it back in the pot. Lol. Pretty sure I'm doing it in a super goofy way, there's gotta be a better method!

This would have been my next question! Thanks for asking it. I'm curious to see the answers.
  • AwesomeSquirrel
    AwesomeSquirrel Posts: 632 Member
    Options

I just decide how many portions it's supposed to yield. For me that typically is 6 servings. It helps that I cook only for myself so anything I don't eat straight from the pot I ladle into tupperware which makes it easy to divide it evenly.

When I bake I usually count a round cake to be 8 slices (easy to eyeball) and individual items (eg muffins) are as many items as the recipe yield. Easy-peasy.
  • rainghirl
    rainghirl Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I've just got used to how many portions are in any meal I make just by looking in the pan. Usually the quantity I make works out for 4-5 meals. I freeze the extra portions to have another day.
  • rileymama
    rileymama Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I had an account on Sparkpeople and use the recipe calculator on there to determine the calories. As for deciding how many servings are in..say a pot of chili, or a casserole, I just figure about how many bowls/servings it will last for, and use that for per serving calories.
  • ClementineGeorg
    ClementineGeorg Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    There are various methods.

For example, you can use a serving bowl/cup, fill it with water, put the water in the empty pot. Repeat until the pot is filled as it would be when you cook. Like this you can find approximately, using this volume method, how many serving are in general in that pot.
    In time, by experience, I know how many serving are in each pot I own. Especially for mealsI cook often.

Also, sometimes I take the meal from the pot, to store it in the fridge in smaller dishes, or freeze some servings. So I use the laddle to compose the servings. At that time, I simply choose my serving size (1 laddle, 2 laddles, 2 and a half) and I split the meal in several containers. Maybe I will store more servings in one container, but I would know how many laddles is a serving.
    The number of servings if off couse, the number of „laddle portions” I obtain from that pot.

If I cook very compact meals (like pizza), I simply slice the meal and each slice is a serving.

For burgers or patties or rolls, I use kitchen tools to make them equal in size and a serving is a pattie, a burger or a roll. For example, I weight burgers to make 150 grams servings.

Sometimes I just weight. I have weighted down the pot empty, than I weight it with food. I simply put 1 serving. When I eat, I weight the amount I want to eat, and see how much is that from the whole meal. This is super nice because I can compute how much grams I need to eat from that meal to fit in daily goals.
  • Car0lynnM
    Car0lynnM Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Calculating servings--I measure out the servings we will eat, then set out individual containers and fill those as well. How ever many bowls I have, is how many servings I put in. When I"m serving pasta, I go by how many servings are in the package. I usually cook the whole package for hubby and me, and then again put the leftovers in individual containers. Right away I know how many servings it's going to be. Then I'm all set for taking leftovers to work for lunch, or reheating for dinner the next night.