Hello, new with question about our food diary

Options
Hello! So I am a little confused with the food diary. Today I have managed to remain below everything thus far, but I am now left with 460 calories but only 2 grams of fat, 4 grams protein and 100 carbs. There's nothing I can think of that I can eat without going over one of these. Obviously tomorrow less fat and protein, but what do I do about today? Am I supposed to eat the exact amount of everything MFP sets for me?

Michelle

Replies

• lucasriggs
    Options
    The macros are just a guideline, going over is fine. The only thing you have to watch is protein and calories, falling short on protein can sometimes effect muscle loss and as you probably know going over calories will result in slower or no weight loss.
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Its just a guideline.. i try to never go over my carbs.. but always use my protein number as a minimum to meet during the day.
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    The macros are only general guidelines. Not everybody follows them (I personally could give a flying *kitten* if I go over most of them as long as I stay in my calorie goal, though I do keep a general eye on my sodium). i don't think it matters all that much. I think you can even change the macro goals in your settings, if it bugs you to see the numbers turn red, lol.
  • ashlbubba
    ashlbubba Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    My suggestion to you is to focus on calories first-- you will see trends as to how much over/under you are for each thing.. many people here strictly stick to their numbers .. however for most of us that makes this journey really hard to do.. you can't flip a switch and eat perfectly.. baby steps!! Worry about portion control and eating a decent amount of calories- then try to address the fat, protein, sugar, sodium, etc..

I will say that protein helps you feel full- so if you find yourself struggling with hunger check your protein! :happy:
  • AwesomeSquirrel
    AwesomeSquirrel Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Personally I find the carb macro too high but can't be bothered to reset custom goals. So I aim to go over on protein and I'm happy to go over on fat and I'm always under on carbs. I'm never spot on with my calorie goal either, usually come in a bit under which balances out the few times I want to splurge a bit extra.
  • jmslewis
    jmslewis Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone! I will focus on the caloric intake for now and use the rest as a guideline.