Exercise Calories- HUH?

Options
2»

Replies

• firegirlred
    firegirlred Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions. Here is some other info if anyone has suggestions. When I workout I ususally run 3 miles everyday because I'm training to do a 5K in May. Then I'll do a half hour of a different cardio: elliptical, treadmill, or bike. Then I'll also do weight training. I'll even mix that up. I'll do more reps one day then I'll switch to more weight. I track my food and exercise. I do question how accurate the numbers are when I plug them in on this site.

I even went as far as going to the doc to see if I could take anything. I have a blood disease. I know my doc said that could have something to do with it. Since my body is trying to use all it's energy to stay healthy and alive my metabolism is kinda messed up.

How do I make my entries public? I totally don't care who can look if they can give me some good advice!

Running is not a good weight loss tool. You can jog and walk, but running will cause you to gain muscle. I don't remember the exact measure, but for every one part muscle, you retain two parts water (or something like that). Most of the weight associated with muscle gain is, in fact, water. Running builds muscle. I gained ten pounds training for a marathon. And I was in a slight calorie deficit. I want to stress that I did not gain weight associated with food intake. I tracked my calories here in order to not have problems with my cycle because we were trying to conceive.

If you have too much sodium one day, you can see a 2-5 pound gain-in one day! Sodium intake should match your total calorie intake-one milligram per calorie. This is not too much. If you are working out, you should be sweating and you lose sodium when you sweat.

Are you drinking enough water? If you drink two liters of water one day, when you typically don't drink more than a cup, then your body will store the water. It only takes one liter of water storage to shift your weight two pounds.

Relax. I know you're frustrated, and I know how you feel. There's another active post about BMI on here right now. Get your BMI professionally measured, and use this tool to monitor your weight loss if you are going to run. Weight is a poor indicator of health if you work out.
  • karmasBFF
    karmasBFF Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions. Here is some other info if anyone has suggestions. When I workout I ususally run 3 miles everyday because I'm training to do a 5K in May. Then I'll do a half hour of a different cardio: elliptical, treadmill, or bike. Then I'll also do weight training. I'll even mix that up. I'll do more reps one day then I'll switch to more weight. I track my food and exercise. I do question how accurate the numbers are when I plug them in on this site.

I even went as far as going to the doc to see if I could take anything. I have a blood disease. I know my doc said that could have something to do with it. Since my body is trying to use all it's energy to stay healthy and alive my metabolism is kinda messed up.

How do I make my entries public? I totally don't care who can look if they can give me some good advice!

Running is not a good weight loss tool. You can jog and walk, but running will cause you to gain muscle. I don't remember the exact measure, but for every one part muscle, you retain two parts water (or something like that). Most of the weight associated with muscle gain is, in fact, water. Running builds muscle. I gained ten pounds training for a marathon. And I was in a slight calorie deficit. I want to stress that I did not gain weight associated with food intake. I tracked my calories here in order to not have problems with my cycle because we were trying to conceive.

If you have too much sodium one day, you can see a 2-5 pound gain-in one day! Sodium intake should match your total calorie intake-one milligram per calorie. This is not too much. If you are working out, you should be sweating and you lose sodium when you sweat.

Are you drinking enough water? If you drink two liters of water one day, when you typically don't drink more than a cup, then your body will store the water. It only takes one liter of water storage to shift your weight two pounds.

Relax. I know you're frustrated, and I know how you feel. There's another active post about BMI on here right now. Get your BMI professionally measured, and use this tool to monitor your weight loss if you are going to run. Weight is a poor indicator of health if you work out.

Hmm, Im not sure this is so accurate as far as running not being a great weight loss tool because it does build muscle and muscle burns fat all on its own (not quite that simple). So, yes, it doesn't show on the scale (maybe that's what you meant), per say, but you are definitely heading in the right direction.
  • firegirlred
    firegirlred Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    remember if you are doing some kind of weight training, muscle weighs more than fat!! you might see the inches drop but not the weight! witch i think its more important!

Unfortunately, muscle does NOT weigh more than fat. A pound is a pound (rememer the lb of bricks vs a lb of feathers)? The difference is volume. A pound of muscle LOOKS like a lb of meat, while a lb of fat may look like a lb of bread. BIG DIFFERENCE! That is why you lose inches while not losing WEIGHT. Try taking your meaurements and see if there is progress there.

This depends on your perspective. Most people are referring to the space that fat takes up on your body, vs the space that muscle takes up on your body. So yes, a cubic inch of muscle weighs more than a cubic inch of fat.

Running is to aerobic activities the way that heavy weight lifting is to weight training. If you want to build muscle, you should not be in a caloric deficit. In order to maintain the increased metabolism required by greater muscle mass, you must fuel it. In order to maintain the mass, you must fuel it and use it. Dieting and muscle building are generally mutually exclusive. I say generally-there are exceptions.

Professional athletes are rarely in caloric deficit for this reason.

Karma-You make a GREAT point about measuring. The inches are much more important than the actual numbers on a scale.

Banks is one of the best minds on here. He should weigh in...on this subject again.
  • karmasBFF
    karmasBFF Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    remember if you are doing some kind of weight training, muscle weighs more than fat!! you might see the inches drop but not the weight! witch i think its more important!

Unfortunately, muscle does NOT weigh more than fat. A pound is a pound (rememer the lb of bricks vs a lb of feathers)? The difference is volume. A pound of muscle LOOKS like a lb of meat, while a lb of fat may look like a lb of bread. BIG DIFFERENCE! That is why you lose inches while not losing WEIGHT. Try taking your meaurements and see if there is progress there.

This depends on your perspective. Most people are referring to the space that fat takes up on your body, vs the space that muscle takes up on your body. So yes, a cubic inch of muscle weighs more than a cubic inch of fat.

So true, in that sense! However, in the grand scheme of things, people are not measuring cubic inches, they are measuring themselves. And some people, unlike you and I, do not understand that the statement "muscle weighs more than fat" comes with fineprint! :laugh: