HELP!!! Getting rid of my mommy Pouch!!!

Options
Hi Guys,
I need help. I have hit my goal weight and I am almost as fit sa I want to be, not quite there I want to be more muscular and fit, but almost there. What are some good routines that will target my mommy pouch? Do I need to do more cardio to get rid of it or more strength? Or both. Tips help, motivation? Thanks guys!!

Replies

• 00sarah
    00sarah Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I've had two kiddies as well. What a personal trainer once told me, and I believe it worked well for me, was NOT to directly target the abdominal area until you've lost the fat there, because what happens is the muscles do respond and grow, BUT if it's under a layer of fat, the appearance is just that you have a bigger "pooch". Does that make sense? I still have about 5pounds I want to lose, and these last two months are the first time I've ever targeted my abs. That's a recent pic of me... I started doing pilates, (at home, using YouTube) if you want to know more about it, just msg me, bc I don't wanna sound like I'm "advertising" but it's free and I've gotten great results in 2months! But, def, cardio. Hope that helped...
  • AnahitaCanDoIt
    Options
    watching with interest....haven't heard that 'don't do abs until you've lost the fat' idea...has that any scientific evidence?

At the moment, my gut isn't too bad when I'm standing. When I sit or go on all fours, it's a big saggy bag of flabby fat hanging down like a female dog who's had a litter...I think this is from multiple nerve severing abdominal surgeries, pregnancy, gaining and losing 60-80lbs many times and it's very disheartening!

I am interested what the PTs and exercise experts have to say !
  • 00sarah
    Options
    Well, the way she explained it to me was don't "directly" target the abs, via crunches, etc. Your abs support you in any strength training you do, so they still get worked. But it's what I did for 2 years, and I feel like it was good advice. I don't know how it'd be "scientifically" speaking, but my goal was a flat stomach and I feel like it helped me.
  • FitandFab33
    FitandFab33 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I eat at a deficit, strength train (lift heavy weights focusing on full body exercises like squats, deadlifts etc), and do CORE work about twice each week. I VERY RARELY do crunches.. but I do planks, back hyperextensions, etc. I feel my core/abdominals/obliques in various strength exercises that I do already. I recntly started adding more cardio to drop weight/fat.. but did VERY little in the course of most of my loss.

I'm 7 months post partum...
  • petersonabt
    petersonabt Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    00sarah...I've heard the same thing...

right now im doing 30DS that does add in abs, but im loosing inches also. I like it and its also on youtube for free. I have the same issue with my tummy from both my kids and then c sections with them. I figure its going to take some time for the skin to shrink completely back up and everything.

I would say cardio to keep the fat off and then start adding in core and ab strengthening exercises.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I'm 23 years post partum. hehehe

Abs are made in the kitchen.
  • 00sarah
    Options
    Abs are def made in the kitchen! And that's what I was saying is that with other strength training moves, you don't need to target your abs until you've lost the body fat there. Of course, postpartum tummy does require time! My youngest will be 3 on the 18th. Clean eating, though, for sure!
  • MsDover
    MsDover Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    watching with interest....haven't heard that 'don't do abs until you've lost the fat' idea...has that any scientific evidence?

At the moment, my gut isn't too bad when I'm standing. When I sit or go on all fours, it's a big saggy bag of flabby fat hanging down like a female dog who's had a litter...I think this is from multiple nerve severing abdominal surgeries, pregnancy, gaining and losing 60-80lbs many times and it's very disheartening!

I am interested what the PTs and exercise experts have to say !

Sounds like we have a similar background as far as what's happening with the abdominal area. Three full term pregnancies, 70 pound weight loss when my youngest was in his teens, and emergency abdominal surgery that cut nerves that left the right side of my upper abdomen in a permanent bulging state that not even a tummy tuck could fix (believe me, they tried). I was older when I had the big weight loss and my skin just plain never snapped back despite two years of trying everything my physical therapist and doctor recommended. There was some improvement, but I still had a Panniculus that was causing me a huge amount of anxiety, thus the tummy tuck. Looks and feels 1000 times better now.
  • momRN2B
    momRN2B Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I say that if u hit goal weight then u just need to tone up. Maybe try something like '' The 30 day shred'' I have had great success with it. It has helped me lose many inches and get rid of my mommy belly (which i got from having 2 pregnancies in less than 2 yrs) I would focus more on strength training then cardio since u dont necessarily need to burn calories u just need to build up muscle. good luck!
  • lmontrosse
    Options
    Just saw this, but considering you're already pretty tiny I'd say maybe a bit more cardio to burn any fat and throw in stuff that will strengthen your abs but not build. Pilates and yoga are both pretty good for abs, as are planks. Hope this helps!
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I second the PP who said to lift heavy--squats and deadlifts.

8333632541_30b15c1f26_q.jpg
    sept-dec by crochetmom2010, on Flickr

the far left is September, the middle is just before Thanksgiving, and the right is New Year's Eve

Starting in October I did squats 3x a week and deads 2x per week. I actually took a week off in December due to a calf injury, and haven't done more than 20 minutes of cardio at a time in the last 3 weeks. Assisted pull ups are done 2x per week...
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    The first thing I'd recommend is learn to love yourself. You can't change what species you are, but being a marsupial has lots of things that make you special!