Ex vegetarians?

Has anyone here been vegan/vegetarian/pesco-vegetarian and gone back to eating meat?

Why?

Did it impact on your health?

I've been considering this for some time and would love to read the experiences of others.

Replies

• Lyra89
    Lyra89 Posts: 674 Member
    BUMP
  • lsmsrbls
    lsmsrbls Posts: 232 Member
    I was vegan and I started eating meat (and eggs and milk) because I went to Italy and wanted to be able to try more different foods there. I haven't gone back to veganism (4 years later).

There were no significant changes to my health that I am aware of. I was healthy as a vegan and I'm healthy now. Blood pressure, cholesterol, energy levels, etc., all stayed about the same.
  • BlueObsidian
    BlueObsidian Posts: 297 Member
    I was a vegetarian for 12 years and began eating meat again several years ago.

When I decided to start eating meat again, it was because I realized that I was no longer feeling passionate about the causes that led me to vegetarianism. I was in the position to make choices about buying local, free-range animal products that I felt good about buying. Plus, I just missed eating meat. I enjoy it. Although I still have vegetarian meals on a regular basis, it's another food choice that I can make.

The transition back to eating meat didn't have much impact on my health. I had just as much of a problem with binge eating as a vegetarian as I do now. My cholesterol levels and other markers have stayed at a similar level.
  • I was a pescatarian for about 6 years, while living in CA and having access to lots of great fish, as well as good vegetarian options at most restaurants. Then I moved to Texas, where vegetarian meals at a lot of restaurants tend to consist of breaded and fried veggies and/or corn and potatoes. I decided I was much better off health-wise with a grilled chicken breast or a lean steak. My health hasn't really been impacted, but I think that if I had stuck with vegetarianism it might have been.
  • I was vegan for two years before I went back to meat and dairy (and leather and everything else). It was a sudden decision and wasn't a hard transition at all.

I've been vegetarian for a few years now, however. Yay, changing lifestyles!
  • sweattsg
    sweattsg Posts: 8 Member
    I was a vegetarian for a year- done as a personal challenge. I actually ended up gaining weight during that time. I moved back to meat slowly and now I center most of my meals around animal based protein. I also did the paleo diet- which is mostly meat- for a little while. I can't say I feel any different. I did struggle with guilt for eating animals again but then I learned to accept it. I buy only free range eggs and will try to get grass fed meat if I can swing it. I just try to focus on whole foods, and if that means a nice quality piece of beef I am up for it!