Low carb pasta, is there such a thing?

Options
Alrighty, I'm just wondering if there are any companys that make a low carb pasta? I can eat a wrap instead of bread, found low carb snacks... etc. I am a pasta lover, but I searched high and low at the store, nope no such heavn exsists :laugh:

Sooooo, has anyone ever found a low carb pasta? I'd love to know:heart:

Replies

• July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Yes and it is wonderful.

It is called Dreamsfield pasta. I don't eat it very often, but I do have it on occasion when I feel like making home made sauce of some type.

Adding website:

http://www.dreamfieldsfoods.com/ There is a store locator so you can find a retailer that carries it or you can order online.
  • LongMom
    LongMom Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I discovered SPAGHETTI SQUASH and I will have a hard time putting pasta in my mouth after trying it!

It's a squash that is actually called spaghetti squash and what you do is cut it in half, spray the inside with cooking spray, put it on a baking sheet face down and bake for 45 mins. Once it's cooled down, you simply run a fork across the inside going with the grain and it all falls off in spaghetti like strands!!! Tastes sooooooo good! In fact, it kinda tastes buttery!
  • EmilyStrick
    Options
    tofu shirataki noodles...40 calories for the whole bag, and no carbs at all!!
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    I discovered SPAGHETTI SQUASH and I will have a hard time putting pasta in my mouth after trying it!

It's a squash that is actually called spaghetti squash and what you do is cut it in half, spray the inside with cooking spray, put it on a baking sheet face down and bake for 45 mins. Once it's cooled down, you simply run a fork across the inside going with the grain and it all falls off in spaghetti like strands!!! Tastes sooooooo good! In fact, it kinda tastes buttery!

Yes, I forgot about spaghetti squash..............I haven't had any for a couple of months. I might pick one up at the grocery this weekend and fix it for me and hubby.
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    tofu shirataki noodles...40 calories for the whole bag, and no carbs at all!!

Last year I posted in a forum about how I prepared Shirataki noodles and I was eating them, but I get headaches from the soy, so I had to stop eating them and any soy.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Dreamfield actually has a lot of carbs. They just claim to have low "disgestable" carbs.

Personally, from what I have read, a lot of fiber is disgestalbe so just subtracting off the fiber grams from the carb grams to get "net" carbs is iffy. And also it's not clear to me that coating the carbs in protein really does make them undigestable.

My nutritionist says to count all carbs, so I do.
  • melanieann48111
    Options
    I second the Dreamfields pasta. It's awesome. Tastes just like the real stuff. I buy mine at Kroger.
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    Dreamfield actually has a lot of carbs. They just claim to have low "disgestable" carbs.

Personally, from what I have read, a lot of fiber is disgestalbe so just subtracting off the fiber grams from the carb grams to get "net" carbs is iffy. And also it's not clear to me that coating the carbs in protein really does make them undigestable.

My nutritionist says to count all carbs, so I do.

They are coated with inulin, which is indigestible, so that is how it is only 5 grams of digestible carbs per serving.

I am diabetic and the carbs have never provoked a spike in blood sugar since I have been eating it off and on. I have been eating it since 2004 when I was on the Atkins Plan.
  • jennylynn84
    Options
    Keep in mind when consuming soy replacements that you need to watch soy intake. If you're just replacing noodles with it occasionally it should be okay, but it is not a good idea to consume too much soy, as it can create hormone problems. It can be especially hard on women. I didn't know this until recently, but if you're a big soy eater you might want to check it out:

http://naturalmedicine.suite101.com/article.cfm/soy

This is why I only use soy replacements occasionally.

I'm DYING to try spaghetti squash.
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    Keep in mind when consuming soy replacements that you need to watch soy intake. If you're just replacing noodles with it occasionally it should be okay, but it is not a good idea to consume too much soy, as it can create hormone problems. It can be especially hard on women. I didn't know this until recently, but if you're a big soy eater you might want to check it out:

http://naturalmedicine.suite101.com/article.cfm/soy

This is why I only use soy replacements occasionally.

I'm DYING to try spaghetti squash.

You are correct. Or if you already know you have thyroid issues, then soy is a not good for anyone with a thyroid issue.
  • Ang8178
    Ang8178 Posts: 308
    Options
    I'm a little ify on the dreamsfield. I count all carbs. I really don't believe in counting net carbs or whatever term it uses. I will have to try the squash though.
  • Ang8178
    Options
    Just looked up shirataki noodles, hummm, may have to try this out. I really don't eat alot of soy, if any :laugh: Well, not that I know of. I think I will try it out with my homemade tomato sauce :happy:
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    Here is my Shirataki 101.....................

LeanLioness's SHIRATAKI 101:

1. Shirataki noodles are "Konjac" noodles -- same name for the same thing. Konjac is the name of the root the noodles are made from. Some shirataki noodles have tofu added (the tofu adds more of a softer, mushy "wheat" aspect to the noodles, IMO. These are probably closest to "real" pasta). The tofu addition ones you'll most likely find are a brand called House Foods Shirataki Noodles. These can be found in health and whole foods stores in the refrigerator section. They carry about 20 calories per serving, I believe. The non-tofu variety (sometimes called "miracle noodles") have about 5 calories per serving and are much chewier and "resistant". These are sometimes located in Asian grocers, but your best bet for these is online: the Konjac Foods or Miracle Noodles brands. The non-tofu variety claims a shelf-life of 1 year with no refrigeration.

2. The noodles are packed in a liquid. While there may be some debate here on the boards as to whether the noodles when first opened SMELL like fish, I don't believe anyone believes that after a rinsing they TASTE like fish, so you are safe there. (There is no fish in the noodles -- just pickling lime which is used to "gel" the noodles.)

3. Now, where you'll find the biggest debate is how best to prep the noodles for cooking: some parboil, some briefly stirfry, etc.

I make a noodles with cheese sauce practically everyday for lunch and here is what I think is easiest: I rinse several bags/servings of the non-tofu noodles at once in a colander, then cut them into smaller pieces as the noodles are insanely long, LOL!. Since I am using the noodles in a "wet" environment (cheese sauce) I am not too concerned that they get absolutely dry at this point so I drain them in the colander for a bit, then transfer to a large ziploc bag. Squeeze out some more moisture from the bag and then store the noodles in the fridge -- they last fine for over a week this way and I just remove servings as needed so I do not have to rinse and cut them each day.

I think nuking or cooking the non-tofu noodles makes them harder and chewier, so when I am ready to add them to my pre-made cheese sauce, I warm the sauce separately, take a serving of noodles and sit them in a bowl of very hot water to take the fridge chill off, then shake them about in a metal sieve for draining. Then simply add them to the hot cheese sauce and I'm all set.

Word of caution -- not sure if this is true for the tofu version, but the non-tofu shirataki noodles CANNOT be frozen, so don't make massive amounts of something. Freezing the noodles leaches ALL the water from them and they wind up like rubber bands -- impossible to even chew.

Another tip: you can also use a salad spinner for the initial rinse/drain if your noodles are bigger than the holes in your particular spinner.

Konjac Noodles 101 is now complete
  • Ang8178
    Options
    :laugh: July24, thanks for the lesson :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

My b-day is july 24, go leo!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wink:
  • arfletcher
    Options

I never spray mine...just put it in a dish with a bit of water in the bottom - cut the squash in half - place cut side down in the water and make sure to poke a couple of holes through it to let out steam...perfect every time! (this is how I cook all squash)

My favorite sauce - (lactose intollerant and allergic to tomatoes so I dont really have alot of options) - I saute some garlic and onion (i use a homemade veggie broth that I make with veggie skins and ends to saute) I grate zucchini and carrot and throw in a pan until they are soft - then throw the lot into the blender. It is creamy and yummy!
  • angelwings2000
    angelwings2000 Posts: 357 Member
    Options

I never spray mine...just put it in a dish with a bit of water in the bottom - cut the squash in half - place cut side down in the water and make sure to poke a couple of holes through it to let out steam...perfect every time! (this is how I cook all squash)

My favorite sauce - (lactose intollerant and allergic to tomatoes so I dont really have alot of options) - I saute some garlic and onion (i use a homemade veggie broth that I make with veggie skins and ends to saute) I grate zucchini and carrot and throw in a pan until they are soft - then throw the lot into the blender. It is creamy and yummy!
    Your sauce sounds a yummy healthy alternative to richer sauces. I may have to try it.
  • arfletcher
    Options

Your sauce sounds a yummy healthy alternative to richer sauces. I may have to try it.

I think I got it off of Vegweb.com... I dont really remember - but its a good site either way!
  • candylea
    candylea Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I just put spaghetti squash on the list. Yum! I can't wait.
  • meerkat88
    meerkat88 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    bump!