QUITTING Planet Fitness

Replies

• Angie_Fritts
    Angie_Fritts Posts: 263 Member
    Try your local YMCA. Or does the town you live in have a recreation center?
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    10.00 a month with no commitment. Just have to tell them within a certain number of days that you want to quit, otherwise you will still be billed.
    And, as I understand you'll be charged around $50. Since you're agreeing to a year.

The web is full of complaints from folks saying they were billed for months after officially quitting.
    Because it's a franchise, I'm assuming such stories are site specific.
    nope. Not the 10.00 a month one. ONLY the 19.99 plan has a commitment of a year. Check out planetfitness.com to verify. Sign up to read the 10.00 agreement terms (you can still bail after reading the terms and avoid the charge). I speak truth.
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    If all you are wanting the gym membership for is the treadmill on weekends... I would suggest just buying a treadmill... You can probably get one for 50-100 at a thrift store or on Craigslist... a couple hundred for a new one... It will save you more than the cost of a gym membership within 6 months most likely
  • MomMel65
    MomMel65 Posts: 47 Member
    I had the regular $10/month plan for about 6 months then went in and signed the cancellation form in person. No problems, no extra hits to my checking account or nothing. Me and the family joined the local YMCA. Hated it. Not enough machines, everyone uses it as a gathering place to YAK more than to exercise. I don't mind yakking, but do it OFF the machines. So, we left there after 2 months and went back to PF - signed up for the black card membership at $20/month so I could bring my kids as guests. The black card membership requires a 1 year commitment, and if you cancel before that 1 year is up, it's a $58 charge. I don't plan on cancelling ever again. They have so many cardio machines available, it boggles the mind - LOL.

Suggestion: Try the "Arc Trainer" - you get a better calorie burn, zero-impact, and fun as heck! Go online and do a web search to see someone using it properly, then give it a whirl. Be sure to play with the resistance and incline to target different muscle groups. I'll never use an elliptical again - I am hopelessly addicted to my Arc!!
  • I read on the website for the one in Michigan that you have to send a certified letter to cancel your membership. I'm not sure if that is true everywhere though.
  • veggiesaurus15
    veggiesaurus15 Posts: 152 Member
    I was a member twice and each time I just had to go in and fill out a paper and my membership was up at the next billing cycle. it was SUPER easy.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    It's easy. As long as your contract is up. Come in, fill out a form, and there you go. Done.
  • I utilize the one at work right now but am trying to expand my home gym...
  • Cyngen
    Cyngen Posts: 557 Member
    My wife and I are pleased with PF. It has plenty of cardio, weight machines and some limited free weights. Also had a trainer help us setup our weight routine. We got the $20 so we can hit other PF's not just the one near the house.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    I don't know what to tell you. I only wish I could go to a gym. I don't know why you would quit.
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Here's what the application says:

A Low $10.00 Start Up Fee
    Only $10.00 per month
    Plus applicable taxes.Billed monthly to a checking account. Annual Membership Fee of $29.00 plus applicable taxes will be billed on or shortly after October 1st. Membership can only be used at the XXX location.

If there's an annual membership fee...I assumed there was an annual agreement. I think I'll mosey down there and try them out and ask some questions.
    Planet Fitness is just opening up one gym in my town. I went ahead and joined it back in Dec and was told that the $29 annual membership fee isn't charged till Oct 1 of 2013 and if I quit before that they wouldn't charge that fee but if I was still an active membership on 10/1/13 they would charge me the fee of $29 so if you quit before that they can't charge you for it at least the first year . I signed up for the $10 a month one and it is the cheapest gym in my town. If I don't like it after the first month as long as fill out the form 10 days before the next month will be charged there is no fee or no cancellation fee. There is no contract it is basically a month to month type thing.
    My gym isn't opening up till 1/17/13 instead of this week since they didn't receive all their equipment yet! Darn! I was excited to start this week.
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    I don't like PF and I go there. I was determined to go to a different gym, but the one that I found was a "perfect fit" I heard might close down, and am waiting to see if they come to the east side and then i'll join. My gym is a mile away; keeps me more committed. I'm praying that gym will open soon...

I don't like PF because of all their silly rules. They kicked me out because all of a sudden they changed their rules to not let you wear sleeveless shirts, without even letting anyone know. :/ Needless to say...I was pretty pissed.
  • tornadoladi
    tornadoladi Posts: 7 Member
    Each PF is a franchise so that is the first thing to remember. I haven't had any trouble thus far with them, and really like it being 1.61 miles from the house. It is a great commitment for me. You pay a 58.00 cancellation fee if you are on the 20.00 a month package although i know some people have never been charged that but it is in the paperwork that you sign and this one particular plan does state it is is 12 months but thereafter it is month to month.

The 10.00 a month plan is a month to month plan and you can cancel if done by the 10th of each month. all have the same billing days for both programs they offer.

the yearly fee is just to help with the bookwork and billing costs that's it. it is not expensive and to be able to walk in and have equipment open so you can do whatever is nice. And no one is there to judge me or what i look like, that is what makes the atmosphere nice.

I chose the bigger package because then i can use the massage hydrotherapy tables when i am done with my workout to relax as a reward for a job well done vs. food.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Each PF is a franchise so that is the first thing to remember. I haven't had any trouble thus far with them, and really like it being 1.61 miles from the house. It is a great commitment for me. You pay a 58.00 cancellation fee if you are on the 20.00 a month package although i know some people have never been charged that but it is in the paperwork that you sign and this one particular plan does state it is is 12 months but thereafter it is month to month.

The 10.00 a month plan is a month to month plan and you can cancel if done by the 10th of each month. all have the same billing days for both programs they offer.

the yearly fee is just to help with the bookwork and billing costs that's it. it is not expensive and to be able to walk in and have equipment open so you can do whatever is nice. And no one is there to judge me or what i look like, that is what makes the atmosphere nice.

I chose the bigger package because then i can use the massage hydrotherapy tables when i am done with my workout to relax as a reward for a job well done vs. food.

$10 A MONTH? I wish I had one close to me. That's very affordable.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member

$10 A MONTH? I wish I had one close to me. That's very affordable.

I've converted to the 20/month so that I have the freedom to go to another PF if I need to and I can bring a guest. Also I get to use the massage chairs. I wish my PF had hydrotherapy tables, they sound cool.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    It's easy. As long as your contract is up. Come in, fill out a form, and there you go. Done.
    There is no contract for the 10 dollar plan. That's my point...
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Okay! So I went to the PF nearby.
    It was clean, and not overly crowded.
    There were rows of treadmills.
    The music wasn't overly loud, nor offensive (this is a big deal for me).
    The hours are great (which was my primary issue with the Y)

The free weights are somewhat limited, but frankly, more than my YMCA has. Enough for me for now anyway.
    I have access to heavier weights at work, once that's open again in a few weeks.

I signed up.
    10 a month
    No commitment
    and the dates for canceling spelled out on the contract.
    The signup fee was reduced for one of their "limited time" offers (which seem to be all the time).

Here's hoping this will work for a while.

ps: I went to cancel the Y and was told I'd have to pay THEM an extra month. Hope that one gets canceled quickly.

Thanks to everyone for their input and help!
  • tried quitting today, i guess i cant quit for a while now....i got the acct for my son who used the gym regularly, i beagn to notice the bill doubled from 10 to 20 he said the rates went up. come to find out he upgraded the account himself. he is a minor and the club went ahead and let him charge the new amount to the card. wtf? when is that allowed? if i as a business have your cc# on file i cant just charge it cause someone related to you says i can. they also say they have no idea whos card it is, they just do what the member asks. sneaky sob's
    now we've moved and no longer need the services of PF , I have to drive 63 miles to the freakin place to quit or use the usps and end up paying another usless month of membership.
    the website brags about how easy it is to join yet for me its turning into a big giant pain in the *kitten* to quit.
  • samantha1242
    samantha1242 Posts: 816 Member
    Reminds me of the friends episode. I WANNA QUIT THE GYM!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member

I don't like PF because of all their silly rules. They kicked me out because all of a sudden they changed their rules to not let you wear sleeveless shirts, without even letting anyone know. :/ Needless to say...I was pretty pissed.

No sleeveless shirts!? :noway:

They are a gym, right? (I think I answered my own question).