Help a newbie out! Protein or Carbs?

Options
Should I eat more protein or carbs?

-Hello I'm a 18 y/o male student trying to lose 60 lbs.I decided it's about time to lose some weight and I really don't know what I should do!My brother,who lost 130 lbs,told me to eat more protein but MFP suggested me eating more carbs than protein,any suggestions on what to do?

Also sorry but english is not my main language.

Replies

• Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    i dont know anything about all that, all i know is that the simple calorie in vs. calorie out method really does work! If you eat at a deficit, you will loose weight, if you make good choices while eating at a deficit, you will loose weight and feel great!
  • cm1458
    cm1458 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    Carbs are suggested to be around 55% of your daily intake.
    I've had my protein at 30%, Carbs at 50% and protein and fat both at 25%. I've lost 100lbs this way.
    I think whatever works all just depends on the person. I suggest more carbs than protein. carbs are energy. just try to eat healthy carbs :) I dont know a ton about this stuff, but this has worked for me. I wish you strength and good luck!
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    you can adjust the ratio of carbs/fat/protein the one myfitnesspal goes by is definitely not the one to follow. make sure you're getting at least a gram of protein per bodyweight.
  • ipiddock
    ipiddock Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    You will hear from people on here who will recommend both approaches, with the pros and cons of each. You will loose weight by just watching your calories and following what MFP suggests. I started that way and then (by choice) moved to low carb and high protein. It all depends on what you want to achieve besides loosing weight. Eating more protein will help you build more muscle, having more muscle will help to define your overall shape when you loose weight.
  • FittingIn
    FittingIn Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Protein gets my vote. It is more filling and helps rebuild muscle.

In my experience, the best diet approach I've found comes from Coach Wayne at www.teamripped.com

The specific guidance is for a 1,900 calorie diet. It gets even better if you also choose to do P90X with it as an exercise program. It isn't required but it really is beneficial.

Here is the diet specific link. http://teamripped.com/my-nutritionsupplements/my-sample-diet