Protein shakes

Options
I bought some Special K protein shakes. Has anyone tried them? I really don't want a meal replacement. Is that what they are? I know Slim Fast has some that are meal replacements but I like food too much to do that. Should I drink one before my workout? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks a bunch!

Replies

• estherplinton
    Options
    I started drinking those this week and I really enjoy them. Yesterday I had that w/ coffee instead of my usual breakfast and I wasn't hungry until around lunch time. Today I a shake instead of a meal for lunch and I found I couldn't even finish the whole thing. They taste great (especially chilled). You'll never know until you try it! :)
  • jmb1510
    jmb1510 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    They don't have to be meal replacements so long as you are in your calorie goal. I would drink it after the workout for muscle building instead of before the workout.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    You should have a small snack that is mostly carbs before exercise and only if you haven't eaten in a while (i.e., to keep you from exercising on fumes). After exercise, have a small recovery snack with 4:1 or 3:1 carb to protein ratio. It's also good to have a little fat in the snack. Chocolate milk is considered the perfect balance of protein, fats and carbs for exercise recovery so use it's stats as a guide.
  • metalpalace
    Options
    Waste of money just eat real food you'll get more nutrients :)
  • mromnek
    mromnek Posts: 325
    Options
    I bought some Special K protein shakes. Has anyone tried them? I really don't want a meal replacement. Is that what they are? I know Slim Fast has some that are meal replacements but I like food too much to do that. Should I drink one before my workout? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks a bunch!

I find that I am usually at the upper end or over my goal for protein on a routine basis. My problem is I am a die-hard meat-a-tarian, and that goes with all the ancillary meat-a-tarian by products (cheese, eggs, etc...). If you are on the low end of your protein each day, I would say go for it. However, if you are not on the low end, and you are doing a lot of muscle building exercise (as opposed to aerobic) I would say look carefully.

Too much protein, for prolonged periods of time can deplete calcium levels. Check with a nutritionist or doctor to see if you need to be concerned.
  • greeneyes82
    greeneyes82 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone!
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I just looked them up. A meal is about 300-400 calories. They are not a replacement but more of a snack since they are only 190 calories. One thing I am concerned with is the amount of sugars and carbs and they are low on the protein side. I personally like to save my carbs for real food. I drink Muscle Milk Shakes. 130 calories per scoop, 2 g of sugar and 25 grams of protein. If you mix it with 8 oz of NF milk it adds 90.