Opinions on protien bars? Okay for every day?

Options
2»

Replies

• Amandainyaface
    Options
    I was shocked when I found that one of my favourite proteinbars made it almost impossible for me to git my sugar goals - Every time I'd eaten one I was waaaay over.
    So as long as you're aware of the sugar content I don't think anything bad could happen.
  • wannakimmy
    wannakimmy Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I eat a protein bar before I work out. Either a cliff bar or a kellogs protein bar. I don't know if this is good or not, but it is what I do...
  • AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    They're often pretty high in sugars and carbs. Edited to say that neither are bad if you don't have a medical condition that requires you to watch those macros, but it's totally your choice.

I think you'd be better off with a pre-made protein shake. Less sugar and probably more protein.
  • lebbyloses
    lebbyloses Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I have a quest bar for breakfast pretty frequently. Yesterday I had one for breakfast and one for lunch, and was faced with the pleasant problem of having met my macros with a lot of calories still to eat. I don't think it will physically be bad for you as long as you are also eating your veggies, etc.

That said, they are expensive, and I'm trying not to rely on them because I need to teach myself real foods that fit my needs, since I don't think daily quest bars are a feasible life choice for me.
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    I don't really like protein bars. I prefer protein drinks.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I try to stay away from them.. but I just bought some yesterday. I've upped my workouts for a few weeks and am falling ridiculously short of my goals now.

I bought pure protein and simple truth because they were on sale and i'm currently broke. Maybe they are the candy bar type, but they have 20g of protein each and they taste decent.

I used to eat them everyday. for months and months.. I prefer toe at real food, but until I can figure out how to up my calories/macros with real food this is what i'm doing again..

I also do a protein shake or protein pudding everyday.
  • jetskiaccidents
    jetskiaccidents Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I eat Detour bars (available at Costco for roughly $20-25 for 20 bars). They're snack-sized bars at only 170 calories, and I don't eat them every day... but I definitely end up resorting to them a few days a week when it's not feasible to carry cottage cheese around with me!

Nutrition Facts
    43g Bar
    Serving Size 1 Bar
    Amount Per Serving %DV*
    Calories 170
    Calories from Fat 45
    Total Fat 5g 8%
    Saturated Fat 3g 15%
    Trans Fat 0
    Cholesterol 5mg 2%
    Sodium 240mg 10%
    Potassium 140mg 4%
    Total Carbohydrate 17g 6%
    Dietary Fiber 2g 8%
    Sugars 3g
    Sugar Alcohol 12g
    Protein 15g 30%
    Calcium 8% 15%
    Ingredients: Detour® Whey Protein Blend [(Whey Protein Concentrate, Whey Protein Isolate, Hydrolyzed Whey Protein), Calcium Caseinate], GlycerLean™ [99.7% USP Glycerine, Taurine, L-Leucine, CLA], Soy Protein Isolate, Milk Chocolate Flavored Coating [Maltitol, Fractionated Palm Kernel Oil, Non-Fat Dry Milk, Cocoa Powder (processed with Alkali), Soy Lecithin, Salt, Vanilla], Peanuts [Peanuts and Spices], Sugar Free Caramel [Maltitol Syrup, Water, Cream, Fractionated Palm Kernel Oil, Milk Protein Concentrate, Natural Flavors, Salt, Butter, Lecithin, Maltodextrin, Disodium Phosphate, Lactic Acid], Gelatin, Water, Whey Protein Crisps [Whey Protein Concentrate, Whey Protein Isolate, Rice Flour], Inulin, Natural Flavors, Canola Oil, Mono and Di-Glycerides, Salt, Potassium Sorbate (as a Preservative), Sucralose, Natural Vitamin E (as Mixed Tocopherols), Neotame.

Contains: Peanuts, Soy and Milk Products.
  • gemk
    gemk Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi, have you ever thought of making your own. I was in the same boat as you so decided to buy some really good protein powder and make my own. I know what's in them and they aren't full of sugars and additives. Plenty of homemade recipes on the forums xx