should I eat before or after I exercise?

I was going to get up and go to the gym before I go to work. Should I eat before or after I work out (which would involve running on am elliptical) and what should I eat? thank you! :)

Replies

• JanelleSonnenberg1
    JanelleSonnenberg1 Posts: 35 Member
    I have found eating a meal before a workout makes me feel icky half way through..I have starting having a banana before a workout and a glass of water..gives me a bit of energy and I'm not working out an empty stomic :).

Hope that helps! :)
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    If you're doing aerobic exercise it's best to eat not later than 3 hours before or wait until after.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    I'm foreseeing the gym getting really busy, so I'm thinking of going back to morning workouts (at 5am). I used to eat nothing before because I'd feel sick if I ate. I'd then go home, shower, eat breakfast, and then go to work. Now I've moved, and the gym I go to is way out of the way. I'll probably have a glass of soy milk before my workout just to have something, and then eat when I get to work. However, my breakfast has typically been a spoonful of peanut butter and a hard boiled egg (plus the soy milk). Not sure how I'll transport a serving of peanut butter to work. I guess I'll just need a second jar to keep there (and all of my coworkers can think I'm strange eating peanut butter straight off the spoon...).
  • lamos1
    lamos1 Posts: 167 Member
    If you're doing a strenuous work out then its better to eat so that you will have energy to complete the workout.
  • SyStEmPhReAk
    SyStEmPhReAk Posts: 330 Member
    It's up to you. You decide what makes you feel best. Timing of meals is not as important as making sure you hit your caloric goals.
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    You can eat something small if you want to. I have sometimes eaten a slice of toast with peanut butter. However the last 4 times I went I didn't eat anything and felt totally fine and I won't eat before working out again in the morning before my workouts (I only workout in the mornings on weekends, and then still only at around 11, when I wake up at 10
  • prt4life02
    prt4life02 Posts: 1 Member
    if i am doing cardio i try not to eat at least an hour before i work out.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    I tend to perform better if I eat before. I don't tend to eat a heavy meal right before I work out, but my energy level suffers if I don't eat at all.

Some people get nauseas during a workout if they just ate. Try it both ways and see what works for you.
  • lilteeraw
    lilteeraw Posts: 261
    before, because its nice to fuel your body before a nice workout. i usually eat before and then a little snack after to feed my aching muscles. (;
  • sunnycloud82
    sunnycloud82 Posts: 59 Member
    I am a morning exverciser and I do not eat before. There are benefits to excercising on an empty stomach, and it can be hard on the body to digest food during excercise. If you feel you truly need something before hand keep it light (a banana or apple and a few nuts).
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    After, so your body can use your stored fat as fuel, instead of the food you just consumed.
  • ebailey710
    ebailey710 Posts: 271 Member
    I like to eat a little something before I work out. I feel sick if I don't eat anything, and it ends up occupying my mind.
  • Klem4
    Klem4 Posts: 399 Member
    I eat around 8am, and workouts are usually about 9:30am. My usual meal is greek yogurt and granola, sometimes eggs & banana. Then I eat after I workout also, works for me. I can't not eat before, get lightheaded.
  • pwnderosa
    pwnderosa Posts: 280 Member
    I always work out as soon as I wake up (either jogging or weights/calisthenics at home in my jammies sometimes!). Then I have a huge coffee with about 1/2 to 1 cup of either milk or almond milk that lasts me getting ready for work/driving there/settling in, and I eat breakfast at my desk mid-morning. Works well for me because I have never liked solid food first thing in the morning. If I wake up unusually hungry I'll have a small piece of fruit or half a glass of juice to fuel me until coffee-time.
  • Karabobarra
    Karabobarra Posts: 782 Member
    You'll find an array of opinions on this, everyone is different it's best to try a few different scenarios and see what works best for you.

Personally if I am doing cardio I eat before (sometimes right before usually as I'm driving to the gym) like an apple or a protein bar, something with carbs in it to give me the energy I need to get a good burn in, if I do strength I eat right after (a mix of protein and sugar, usually a protein shake or protein bar will do) I do this within the first 30 minutes so my body has what it needs to repair itself and it doesn't rob it from the muscles I just tried to build. As long as you are still creating a 200 to 300 calorie deficit your body will eat up the stored fat and you will lose weight, it really is as simple as calories in vs calories out. Hope this helps
  • CarlieeBear
    CarlieeBear Posts: 325 Member
    My trainer suggested I eat a high protein breakfast about an hour before working out with her.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    I would absolutely base this on gym performance and personal preference.

In terms of body composition changes the differences aren't going to be significant provided your end-of-day intake is reasonable.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    yes
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    If you're going to lift, eat first