using p90x to supplement existing routine?

Options
I was able to borrow the p90x dvds to give them a try, but won't have time to do the full program as it's designed. (i work full time, have class 3 nights a week, and plan to continue running 3 times a week).

i wanted to try it out more to supplement my existing workout routine, which is primarily running and a weekly bootcamp class, since it's so cardio heavy. My question for those who have tried this workout before is which 2 DVDs should i focus on if i can only devote 2 days a week to p90x (or should i just cycle through all of them at a slower rate?), and will i still see any results from adding this in only 2 days a week to my current routine?

also, besides a mat, free weights, and resistance band is there any other equipment i will need?

thanks!

Replies

• SGT_Reg
    SGT_Reg Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Bam,I am all over this.

First, congratulations on the first step to becoming a P90Xer!!
    If you are going to be running also, then stick with Chest and Back; Shoulders and Arms; Back and Biceps; Chest, shoulders and triceps.

Also, you will need a pull up bar.
    You will have time to do the complete program, if you really want to. Only about an hour a day.

Good luck
  • mcjabber
    mcjabber Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I'd say do legs/back once a week and then pick whichever is your favorite upper body one for the other (maybe shoulders/arms since you'd be getting back with the other DVD?) I think your running will get turbocharged if you do the legs workout. That's what I found. And go ahead and do Ab Ripper X on both days too! If you want to see specific results, each DVD was designed to be done once a week, so I'd stick with the same two regardless of which ones you pick--that way you can track your progress and see the results. Have fun, I love Tony! :laugh:
  • kfesta52
    kfesta52 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    That's pretty much how I use them. I mainly use the strength training ones (the 5 or so that are focused on specific groups of body parts and use weights), and don't do any of the more cardio heavy ones because I also run or sometimes do other DVDs. I just do one of the P90X DVDs whenever it fits in my schedule, not following their program or anything.

I do like the yoga and stretch DVDs too though, they are really a fairly intense and enjoyable type of exercise. I will sometimes do one of those on a rest-ish day, or when I just feel like something mellow.

There are a lot of pull ups in the upper body DVDs. I have a pull-up bar, though you can work with the resistance bands instead. They always have someone doing a version of each exercise with bands while the other people use weights.
  • SGT_Reg
    SGT_Reg Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I'd say do legs/back once a week and then pick whichever is your favorite upper body one for the other (maybe shoulders/arms since you'd be getting back with the other DVD?) I think your running will get turbocharged if you do the legs workout. That's what I found. And go ahead and do Ab Ripper X on both days too! If you want to see specific results, each DVD was designed to be done once a week, so I'd stick with the same two regardless of which ones you pick--that way you can track your progress and see the results. Have fun, I love Tony! :laugh:

Dang, she's right too. I forgot Legs and back. That workout is a killer and one of my favorites!!
  • amw8675309
    amw8675309 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    thanks for the input!! I think i will start with the shoulders/arms video tomorrow!

looking forward to it, though i've heard the first week is tough to get through!
  • mcjabber
    mcjabber Posts: 374 Member
    Options

Dang, she's right too. I forgot Legs and back. That workout is a killer and one of my favorites!!

One of my favorites too! For some reason it makes me feel the most badass.