Best Max Weight for strength training muscle building

Options
I had read & thought that the amount of weight to move for building is the amount of weight you can just manage 10-12 reps with. But, a family member recently said he thought it should be the max amount you could just barely do even if only 3-5 reps. What do y'all think & why?

Replies

• ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Training for muscle building is heavier weight, more sets and less reps:
    "Work harder but shorter. Training with high reps is good for building endurance, but it won't help you build up either size or strength. Instead, aim for about 12 sets per muscle group, and between six to eight reps per set for your normal routine. For greater improvement in strength and size, shoot for lower reps with higher weights."
    http://www.wikihow.com/Build-Muscle
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I had read & thought that the amount of weight to move for building is the amount of weight you can just manage 10-12 reps with. But, a family member recently said he thought it should be the max amount you could just barely do even if only 3-5 reps. What do y'all think & why?

My belief is that this specific rep range becomes more important the more advanced you get. In the beginning, you're going to make good progress at quite a wide range of reps.

That being said, anywhere in the ~5-12 range should provide good results and regardless of the rep range you choose, you should be increasing the load over the course of time.
  • amonkey794
    amonkey794 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    "Work harder but shorter. Training with high reps is good for building endurance, but it won't help you build up either size or strength. Instead, aim for about 12 sets per muscle group, and between six to eight reps per set for your normal routine. For greater improvement in strength and size, shoot for lower reps with higher weights."

I have no idea if this correct or not, but I would be weary of any reference with "wiki" in the title
  • Tankplanker
    Tankplanker Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    you should be increasing the load over the course of time.

That's the most important bit after lifting consistently, if you don't increase the reps or the weight each time you lift then you aren't making progress as a beginner up to intermediate. When you start lifting its about your body adapting to the movement of the lift and getting used to moving a weight around, rep count doesn't become important until you start to get close to your current max lift weight as you are discovering potential not creating it. For example when I started doing dead lifts I could only lift 60kg, however I very quickly made progress to 145kg and now my progress is much slower. When I started I was making big gains not because I was adding pounds and pounds of muscle fibre, but because my body was learning how to lift, now I am actually adding strength rather than discovering it.

I'd recommend following a recognised lifting program that has sensible policies around the lifts, how often to lift, how often to add weight, etc. as this takes out the guess work for you, you can always customise later when you get strong. Personally I favour the power lifting programs like Strong lifts and Starting Strength as you'll gain a lot of strength very quickly with relativity short workout (starting strength is possible to do in around 30 minutes 3 days a week), body building focused workouts tend to see you stuck in the gym for hours at a time.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    That being said, anywhere in the ~5-12 range should provide good results and regardless of the rep range you choose, you should be increasing the load over the course of time.

This.

As long as you're progressively increasing the weight used, you will get stronger and put on some size (provided you're eating properly).
    The 1-3 rep range is mainly building/testing strength. I feel like size is going to change best at >5 reps. I've recently started doing a lot more reps and I feel like it's doing more for my muscle mass than the low rep stuff.
  • craigja
    craigja Posts: 17
    Options
    I use to be a power lifter many years ago. We use to do 5 sets of 5 reps each. If you could finish all 5 reps on the last set or two you're not using a heavy enough weight. I realize I've over simplified this but to build you need to "tear down" the muscle. High reps low weights tone and give definition. Like one poster pointed out however, it's also highly dependent on diet.
  • kc_pig
    kc_pig Posts: 6
    Options
    If you could finish all 5 reps on the last set or two you're not using a heavy enough weight.

I'm actually lowering my reps and going to start the 4x4 workout on main lifts such as dumbell bench, squats, and hang cleans. If I can't do 4 and get 3 on set, stay at the weight but if I'm doing 6 reps on all sets (like I did tonight on dumbell bench) it's time to move up in weight. Hopefully this works as I'm now charting my cal intake again and set it high. I haven't been eating enough lately either..... :angry:
  • ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options

I have no idea if this correct or not, but I would be weary of any reference with "wiki" in the title
    You are right. I debated even posting it but it gave a more basic reasoning than the technical sites which got into physiology and not knowing someone's background, I hesitated to link something that was more detailed. Here's one from Mens Health too:
    http://www.mensfitness.com/training/build-muscle/training-volume