quad tendinitis - exercises to do to reduce strain on knee??

Options
Ive been suffering with pretty bad quadricep tendinitis in my knee for 2 weeks now. Ive rested for the entire 2 weeks and the pain remains pretty severe. I want to get back into doing SOMETHING until this damn knee recovers. Obviously core work and upper body.. but do I have to ignore my legs for the time being?

I also do not have access to a swimming pool or gym..swimming would be my first choice :(

Also, any good stretches, massages etc to promote healing?!

Replies

• victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    LOL noooo one
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    strengthen your hamstring and glute muscles so your legs are less imbalanced
    stop doing shallow squats and go parallel or below in order to activate hips, hams and glutes other wise you put too much stress on knees and quads

besides resting you can try compression, and taking anti inflammation stuff like ibuprofen

have you seen a doctor or PT about it?

also you gave people 20 minutes to answer your question before bumping... on new year's day... lol you might want to be a bit more patient
  • matt3695
    Options
    strengthen your hamstring and glute muscles so your legs are less imbalanced
    stop doing shallow squats and go parallel or below in order to activate hips, hams and glutes other wise you put too much stress on knees and quads

This^ the book starting strength explains all of that really well
  • victoriannsays
    Options
    yeah Ive seen a doc about it. I went sent out of the office with a "take it easy"

I think maybe my form for squatting is not very good and must be causing this irritation - because my hamstrings and glutes are very strong.. Anyways, its still to painful to start squats or lunges yet.

thanks for the advice
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Anyways, its still to painful to start squats or lunges yet.

if it's painful don't do it, rest up.

If your quads/IT band is tight that can aggravate knee issues, get a foam roller and roll those areas out.
  • chedges9090
    chedges9090 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Are you able to ride a bike--- or take spinning class?
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    yeah Ive seen a doc about it. I went sent out of the office with a "take it easy"

I think maybe my form for squatting is not very good and must be causing this irritation - because my hamstrings and glutes are very strong.. Anyways, its still to painful to start squats or lunges yet.

thanks for the advice

this is why I always see sports doctors, that understand that I'm not going to "take it easy" until the issue goes away.
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I had tendinitis from the lack of rest between volleyball season and basketball season in high school, plus I played volleyball year round too.

My doc suggested a couple things, before your workout put a little lotion on your fingers, bend your knee, and massage the tendons around the top of the knee. Also, take a lot of time for stretching. Post workout he also had me repeat the bent knee massage using a dixie cup of frozen water, tear the bottom off and its easy to hold onto while you rub it on your knee.

I will say that since doing strength training and losing some weight I have yet to have any issues with my knees except for after my half marathon and that was just because I hadn't trained for such a steep downhill course like this one was for the last 5 miles.

Foam roll and check out mobility workouts at mobilitywod.com, it addresses proper squat form, IT band and tendinitis issues and ways to improve your mobility overall.
  • littlekat1
    littlekat1 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I'm recovering from synovitis in my left hip (synovial fluid was inflammed and my hip was PISSED OFF). Both my primary doctor and my ortho doctor said to do NOTHING for 3 months! Yes, I cried. I was training for a 1/2 marathon. Plus he told me to take motrin or ibuprofen 3x a day for 2 weeks.

I would ask your doc about taking ibuprofen, if he / she says ok, then try that, ice it down when you get a chance or you the ben gay icy or another icy product. I use Maxx Freeze (get it at walmart) and it comes in a roll on.

It sucks being injured, but in order for it to heal properly you might have to take a couple of weeks completely off.
  • victoriannsays
    Options
    Thank you, I will try the massage today. Also will try 400 mg of ibuprofen..

Also, everywhere I read.. it says to ice injuries but my doc is telling me to use heat??? Confused lol
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Thank you, I will try the massage today. Also will try 400 mg of ibuprofen..

Also, everywhere I read.. it says to ice injuries but my doc is telling me to use heat??? Confused lol

Alternate between icing and heat. The rubbing of your knee cap that I was talking about is kind of a two-fold remedy, helps to stretch and loosen the knee and the rubbing also creates a certain amount of heat that also helps. I typically do a few 15 min cycles between heat and ice if my lower back is having some issues, ice, heat, ice, heat with a break in between each of about 10-15 minutes, seems to help a lot.
  • needles85365
    needles85365 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    do you have access to a pool. less pressure on all the joints
  • victoriannsays
    Options
    unfortunately no pool access. Its very snowy and cold here and my pool is frozen :)
  • ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Get to an ortho and get a script for PT--they can use modalities that will help decrease the inflammation, give you exercises and work you back into a routine while making sure you have the proper form to avoid injury. Until then, stretch the muscles of the lower body, use the foam roller and avoid anything that aggravates it
  • gregarybrown72
    gregarybrown72 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    1. Take a series of Glucosamine. Drink plenty of water with it. 2. Get a bag of frozen peas. After your workout, place it on your knee for (2) 5 minutes session. 3. avoid doing back to back days of the same activities like basketball or volleyball. 4. Be careful with Ibuprofen, did not take it for more than a week. 5. As you lose weight the pressure on your knee will ease.Good luck.