Is walking enough? At least for right now...

Options
2»

Replies

• gabbymom2
    gabbymom2 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I like to walk distances....maybe 1/2 mile, then work up to a mile, and so forth. I "mapped" out with my car, different
    routes....so for me its the distance not the time involved.
  • ladyartichoke
    Options
    I walk everyday. I have an hour for lunch and I walk for about 45 minutes of that. I also walk to and from work, 15 minutes each way. I burn about 200 calories, not walking especially fast (I live in the tropics and it is too hot and humid for that). We also don't own a car so I walk most places, even if it's just to the supermarket (10 minutes both ways), every little helps!
  • Harriann84
    Options
    I walk. I am planning a big walk today. I put my headphones in, put the leash on the dog, chuck my backpack on and go for a 3/4 mile hike. (I have to change my walking settings on Endomondo). I walk to the beat. I know people who listen to audio books and walk chapters rather than miles.

It's working for me. I have lost 32lbs so far. I just make sure my heart rate is up (I am breathless and sweating), walk through muddy fields and up hills (resistance) and enjoy the fresh wet air.

I prefer to walk in the rain, I don't look so unfit ;) I can blame the red cheeks and wetness on the rain and the cold.
  • lmkuhn596
    lmkuhn596 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I lost 30 pounds walking.....I also kept track of calories. Walking is GREAT!
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    The bulk of my early weight loss and cardio fitness came from walking, so yes. Just try to go a bit quicker than usual for some of the route and do steps/stairs rather than take lifts/escalators where possible. Crank it up to a jog if you feel it!
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    i started off walking, then decided i should try a bit of jogging. ended up doing c25k- it gets you going from couch potato to running without stopping for 30 mins in 9 weeks. there's nothing quite like going for a brisk walk or jog on a chilly winters day.
  • Derpina7
    Derpina7 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Any movement is good :). I think being able to keep your heart rate up a little bit is an important factor too, might want to look into getting a heart rate monitor to try to be as accurate as possible regarding calories and how much you're exerting yourself!
  • NewDavenport
    NewDavenport Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    hun i just use a stepping stool that you would use to reach the top of the cupboard and step up and down off of it, and that along with the work and its working just do what you can any little thing will work :)
  • SugarBoomBoom
    Options
    Yes. A nice brisk walk for 30 minutes or more is good exercise. I should do that on days I don't want to go to the gym........
  • Amatambi
    Options
    walking is just fine. it's where i started back in feb of last year. but is there some reason you can't walk past your store and take a walk long enough to count? you're not fenced in, are you?

Oh nono I do take longer walks haha. I was just thinking of adding in that extra walking instead of driving to incorporate my walking in with my daily life.
  • Amatambi
    Options
    Have you considered jogging? It burns a lot more calories than walking. I'm a new runner but I luv it. Ran my 1st 5k last month and my next one is in a couple weeks. Once you start you'll be hooked! I hope to do a 10k by the end of 2013. You can do it too!

I did run for awhile actually. I guess I didn't take my time though, because every time I ran on the pavement both my ankles would hurt awfully. I went in to see the doctor and xrays revealed micro fractures in my ankle ligaments or something.
  • lace6714
    Options
    By reading all the posts I'm sure you got your answer that walking is great! I am known as the walker among my friends. I absolutely hate to run for some reason.

I figure no matter what stage you are in life, you can always get up and walk. When you are older or going through an injury most of the time walking is doable. Thats what sells me. And in the past when I'm at my fittest, Im speed walking everyday!

Side Note: My favorite work out dvd is Turbo Jam. Really fun and doesn't get boring fast!
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    Any work out is better than no work out ;)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Walking is excellent exercise. It's good for burning calories, improving health and great for your core. But if you are looking for other exercises to do at home without DVDs, calisthenics are wonderful exercises for overall fitness.
  • JennetteMac
    JennetteMac Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    By reading all the posts I'm sure you got your answer that walking is great! I am known as the walker among my friends. I absolutely hate to run for some reason.

I figure no matter what stage you are in life, you can always get up and walk. When you are older or going through an injury most of the time walking is doable. Thats what sells me. And in the past when I'm at my fittest, Im speed walking everyday!

Completely agree with this. Could have been my own words. The dog is usually my companion, and as he is no regarder of weather I have to go out at lest twice every day Enjoy it... I have even been known to sing as I go, though not usually through town!
  • x_pix_x
    x_pix_x Posts: 21
    Options
    I swear by walking, I'm on my feet walking all day at work anyway and often in a bit of a hot, manic environment with lots of people in your face so I often like to walk home afterwards, it's almost 6 miles home so I love the fact that I can pop my earphones in and just have a bit of time for just me without a load of people in my face! It's also pretty hilly and I walk fast so I can get home quicker.

Also I've found that when I've been on holidays and walked around lots I always manage a loss. I have a friend who often asks me to run with her and I know it would be better but I hate running, always have, whereas I love walking so I know I'll actually do it. I guess the main thing is that as long as you're moving and you're doing something you enjoy then its good and you're more likely to stick with it.
  • metalloz
    metalloz Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Walking is what I do and I get my heart rate up to 175-180 by power walking up steep hills and stairs.