Replies

• runner2runner
    runner2runner Posts: 1,937 Member
    Options
    In the world or just in America?
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    San Francisco! By the ocean, world champion baseball team, sourdough bread, cute trendy neighborhoods, awesome art scene. Something happening all the time!
  • Fred4point0
    Fred4point0 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Carlsbad, Irvine or Lake Tahoe, California. I've lived in Carlsbad and Irvine. Both are awesome cities to live in. Vacationed and ran a marathon in Lake Tahoe. Would love to retire in Lake Tahoe. The water is actually blue...even the lakes. The snow may be a bit much.
  • lbmore33
    lbmore33 Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Baltimore, Md but im biased lol
  • Gestahl
    Gestahl Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    As someone who prefers cities that don't feel like cities, I'll voice in for Portland, Oregon. A very healthy mix of counter-cultures, an open-minded populace, benevolent people, environmental consciousness, not crowded, an excellent public transit system... just a great place to live. There is the rain, of course, but at least the weather is consistently mild.
    Of course, if you're from the Pacific Northwest, you know all about Portland already, and I'm guessing you're used to far worse weather.

I've since ended up in the Boston area... even as someone who likes history, I really don't get the appeal. It's crowded, everybody's uptight and in a hurry, loads of economic disparity, the transit system is unreliable, the entire city throws a temper tantrum whenever the Red Sox lose, and the cost of living is atrocious. And honestly, there's no feeling of "life" in the way I'm used to it. Very few people feel like they're truly happy here... a lot of them have some nice salaries, careers, and such, but I don't often sense the same level of individual, personal fulfillment in the people here that I did in Portland. I'd definitely like to end up back there someday.
  • flowergirl73
    flowergirl73 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    San Francisco. Period.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    If I were to live in the US, I'd pick Portland to try out for a few years. Either OR or ME, loved them both :heart:

Otherwise, Vancouver, BC (need $$$ though) or Berlin, Germany. Can you see the trend? :smokin:
  • DiaryOfaThickFitWoman
    Options
    Only you can truly answer this question. Looks like you already have some prospects. Just think, what you are looking for out of life right now, and make the best choice........im a firm believer of, its not where your it, its what your doing, however, change is good...sometimes. may not even be about where, the change may be main factor. U mentioned family, having family is good, I personally wouldn't want to move go far away from absolutely no family or friends.....ii dunnno just think. Feel free to add me.
  • chigau_me
    Options
    Berlin, Vienna, Prague :)
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Check out http://www.findyourspot.com/ it asks you a bunch of questions and then tells you a list of places that would be good for you to live. I found it to be pretty accurate - it knows I shouldn't be living in rainy miserable WA!
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    NONE, I hate Citys and the hustle and bustle that goes with them. find you a small town where people still care about others.
  • scloyd
    scloyd Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Chicago...some of the most strict gun laws in the nation and still had more than 500 murders in 2012. Three murders already in 2013. Don't go to Chicago like Venus de Milo...unarmed.
  • SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    Taipei City, Taiwan :bigsmile: no murders, guns or any of that **** here....
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options

I lived in Baltimore (actually right outside, but still) for 3 years. I liked it well enough. There was always plenty to do - New Years in the Harbor was something my wife and I enjoyed doing.

But we ultimately moved back to WV, because of being close to friends and family. I worked a lesser job for lesser money for a few years in order to make things work, and we struggled - but I think neither one of us regret moving back. So, try out Atlanta, for the nice job - or try Chicago... eventually your heart will lead you to whatever city you should call home.
  • Windy_
    Windy_ Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Where I live.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I grew up in suburban NJ, about halfway between NYC and Philly, so I spent a lot of time in both cities (and a lot of time in suburban NJ, of course). I then went to college in Philadelphia, so I lived there for four years. After college, I lived outside of Detroit for three years and then in Ann Arbor, MI for another two years. Then I moved with my fiance/now-husband to the suburbs of Atlanta for two years (he's from GA originally), after which point we moved to Charleston, SC and never looked back.

NJ - crowded, expensive

NYC - great if you like city living, but expensive

Philly - also great if you like city living, more affordable than NYC, NYC is only a train ride away if you feel like going there for anything, lots of neat history, you feel like there's more of a community than there is in NYC (kind of like Boston in that way)

Detroit/Ann Arbor - I just don't recommend Michigan - SO cold, and winter is SO long, though the summers are gorgeous - however you pretty much need to either have a boat or know someone with a boat to enjoy the water

Atlanta - even though I didn't work downtown, traffic was HORRIBLE - my office was 11 miles from my house, but it was at least an hour each way - didn't feel any different than, say, living in NJ or suburban Detroit, apart from the weather, which is INSANELY hot in the summer with no beach relief

I loveloveLOVE living in Charleston. It is consistently rated the friendliest city in the US, plus you get Revolutionary and Civil War history here, great parks and landscape, and BEACHES!!! There's a little bit of everything without even including downtown Charleston, which is beautiful. It's relatively affordable to live here, too, depending on where you decide to live (of course certain areas are not cheap).

The weather is, of course, awesome. Well, it's really, really hot in the summer, but just go to the beach :smile: Spring and fall are lovely, and winter is hardly cold. Today it's 60 degrees out, and it rarely gets below the 50s (except maybe at night, and even that isn't consistent). I hate the cold, so I'm happy! You get more of a feeling of the four seasons here than you do in Florida but less than what you get in North Carolina or Virginia.

A few little downsides:

(1) While the weather is great, occasionally it bums me out that December doesn't feel Christmas-y because it's 65 degrees out. In the four years I've lived here, it's snowed twice, and before that it hadn't snowed for 20 years. Both times it was a dusting that was gone within a day, but the world shut down.

(2) There is always a threat of hurricanes here. However, homes are built to withstand them as best as they can, and people are well-prepared. All you can do is board up your house, then ride it out or get out, and that's why we have wind/hail and flood insurance. Charleston hasn't been hit since Hugo in 1989, so we consider ourselves overdue.

(3) Because Charleston is a smaller city, some of the retail chains you would expect to have just don't exist. I never even considered when I moved here that I wouldn't be able to shop at Macy's. Same with certain chain restaurants, but for the most part you can find alternatives or small businesses (especially with restaurants) that suit your needs and oftentimes exceed what you were looking for.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options

Omar's coming!

the_wire_omar.jpg
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I'm tempted to try out Texas

I'd never leave Texas. I'm in Houston, but San Antonio, Austin, and Dallas are great also. Our state rocks.
  • SeaJenni
    SeaJenni Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I really like Austin, Texas. The area immediately west of San Antonio is really pretty, too. I like all the places mentioned in this thread, but Austin wins because it has everything L.A. and San Diego have to offer, but cleaner, cheaper, and friendlier.
  • erickcouto79
    Options
    Rio de Janeiro, the wonderful city.
    Beach, Nice weather and a lot of work.

:)