Need some SPICE in my life!!!

Options
8turboturtle8
8turboturtle8 Posts: 239 Member
Hi, my name is Amanda and I am an addict. I find myself craving and thinking about Panda Express Kung Pao Chicken ALL THE TIME!!!! And in the past I would just give in and hit the drive thru and that is one reason I am here at MFP. I need some spice in my life! I love kung pao chicken and Thai Curry...do any of you have a simple, tasty and SPICY recipes that I can toss on some brown rice. I tried to find one on the board or internet but got overwhelmed....

And thanks!!!!!

Replies

• llanas77
    Options
    HI,
    You should try Hungry Girl's recipe. You can find it at this link: http://www.hungry-girl.com/chew/chewdetails.php?isid=1231
    Sign up for their daily newsletters if you haven't already. They have tons of low cal recipes for your favorite dishes!
  • mromnek
    mromnek Posts: 325
    Options
    We bought ourselves a wok and we throw just about any veggies in there with some chicken, or even beef, and then some different sauces. Last time we used a mandarin sauce, but we have used terriyaki and jerk sauces before with different results. All I would advise with the sauces is be careful, they don't have many calories, but are loaded with sodium.
  • AllisonMS
    Options
    Hi!
    I just made a super-easy Chicken and Cauliflower curry for tonight:
    Saute an onion in curry, cumin, garlic, ginger and chili pepper flakes (and salt, I'll admit). Scoot onions to the edge of the pan.
    Sear whatever chicken (or shimp or fish or protein, I guess) on hand and remove from pan
    Add chopped cauliflower florets (or broccoli, or anything, I guess)
    Add 1 cup chicken stock and cover for 3 min or so to soften cauliflower
    Add 2 tablespoons per person of lowfat sour cream
    If you have tomato paste, that adds a nice depth of flavor
    I also sprinkled some sugar in
    At the end, I'll add cherry tomatoes and parsley for color.
    I'll give my husband some rice, but I think I'll abstain

Grand total calories for this tasty spicy meal I'm really looking forward to......435.

I moved from Vancouver -- home to amazing food -- to Boston -- home to OK spicy food -- to the suburbs 3 years ago, and if I've wanted anything truly spicy and semi-exotic, I've had to cook it myself. The key to cooking like this at home is having a well-stocked fridge and pantry of spices. So much cheaper and you're in complete control of what goes into your food.

Good luck!
    Allison
  • 8turboturtle8
    8turboturtle8 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Thanks again!
  • AllisonMS
    Options
    It was really really tasty and satisfying.
    I did eat the rice. And a Girl Scout cookie.
    But still more than 250 calories under for the day, due to exercise.
    Try the recipe! I'm definitely doing it again soon.
  • amy_marie
    amy_marie Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Hi, just wondering if you have tried this recipe and if so how is it? I am not too big on spicy food, but this looks pretty yummy :)
  • Sunsh1ne
    Sunsh1ne Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Stir-fry some veggies and skinless chicken breast with garlic and red pepper flakes! I can never cook with them at home because my dad is a spice wimp, but I love them. The best way is to put a little bit of oil (like 1 tablespoon, 2 max) in a cold pan, add your pepper flakes, and then slowly raise the heat to your cooking temperature. Then add the garlic for a little bit, and then cook normally. Doing it like that infuses the oil with pepper and garlic flavor, so that you get a little heat in every bite.