Diet drinks

Options
Weighed myself (oops), given myself firm talking to (again) and ready to get back on board the ship. Interestingly though I saw programme last night that suggested drinking Diet coke actually made you crave sugar MORE and then leads to sugar cravings. That will be the first change I make this year. No more fridges full of diet coke! Alcohol away for January (Eeeeek!) and plenty of water and tea. I wonder what difference these changes could make......... (here's hoping!!):smile:

Replies

• HotMummyMission
    HotMummyMission Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    U got this babe I have quit diet drinks I think there just as bad myself x
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    the studies are inconclusive on diet drinks and sweeteners, they affect different people different ways, if you think they make you crave sugar then give them up, if they satisfy you sweet tooth then dont. All I can say is i have cut way back on diet soda(used to be the only liquids i drank) but i still have one from time to time, not even one a day. I did this without even trying to. as you get more active your body will tell you what it needs. Good luck on your Journey
  • snowbike
    snowbike Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    The studies ARE conclusive. Asparatame does not make you crave sugar.
    There have been countless studies on Asparatame and the weight of science shows it has NO effect on insulin response or any other of the rubbish splatterd over the internet.

Heres a summery of the a typical study on Asparatame...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1946186

Check wiki for a more laymans understanding of Asparatame.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspartame

Its funny how people who switch from non-diet drinks to diet drinks think the non-diet drink is making them crave sugar when its the removal of sugar from the diet that is making them crave sugar.

I saw the same program. "50 Shocking Facts About Diet and Exercise" last night.
    Any program the ends with recommending you to plant your bum on a sofa and eat rubbish ... as long as its NOT low fat rubbish is it self rubbish.
  • ydeleon
    ydeleon Posts: 81
    Options
    I think giving up soda is the best thing you could do. The artificial sweeteners do quite a number on your body.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    the studies are inconclusive on diet drinks and sweeteners, they affect different people different ways, if you think they make you crave sugar then give them up, if they satisfy you sweet tooth then dont. All I can say is i have cut way back on diet soda(used to be the only liquids i drank) but i still have one from time to time, not even one a day. I did this without even trying to. as you get more active your body will tell you what it needs. Good luck on your Journey

This - at least as an anecdotal thing. Lots of people have found it does not affect them and get very fit while drinking diet sodas. It just shoots my sugar cravings up. This might be more a mental thing for me. In either case, I don't like the taste of diet drinks and avoid it altogether.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    The studies ARE conclusive. Asparatame does not make you crave sugar.
    There have been countless studies on Asparatame and the weight of science shows it has NO effect on insulin response or any other of the rubbish splatterd over the internet.

Heres a summery of the a typical study on Asparatame...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1946186

Check wiki for a more laymans understanding of Asparatame.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspartame

Its funny how people who switch from non-diet drinks to diet drinks think the non-diet drink is making them crave sugar when its the removal of sugar from the diet that is making them crave sugar.

I saw the same program. "50 Shocking Facts About Diet and Exercise" last night.
    Any program the ends with recommending you to plant your bum on a sofa and eat rubbish ... as long as its NOT low fat rubbish is it self rubbish.

I saw it this morning. Lots if nonsense mixed in with good stuff mixed in with common sense mixed in with pseudo science. Some medical professionals, some charlatans. Welcome to the fitness industry!
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    I don't like the taste of artificial sweeteners, hence not drinking or eating diet labelled foods and drinks. Sugar in moderation is not a bad thing. It tastes nicer.