Can I go from running 5k to 10k in 5.5 weeks?

I've only ever run 5k races (although I have done 6 or 7k a few times on the treadmill) but would like to work my way up to 10k.

The next event I can enter is on March 24 but the one after that wont be until September/October and I don't really want to wait that long.

I will be moving overseas at the start of February so there are only 5.5 weeks between when I will be moving and the event.

I will be VERY busy for the next five weeks with packing/moving/travelling but am able to start some training, although I will be having at least a 3 week break at the end of January/ start of February when I'll be travelling.

So, is it reasonable to think I can do the 10k with only 5.5 weeks of preparation?

What would be the best way to train? I was thinking of doing the C25K's Bridge to 10k (although I didn't use the C25K) and starting the first few weeks now (although on a treadmill because the weather here is atrocious) and then maybe starting again or from the second or third week outside after I arrive home.

I thought I would get some opinions before signing up for either the 10k or 5k version! Does anyone have any thoughts or advice?

Thanks!

Replies

• clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,640 Member
    I think you should be able to do it. I have the c25k app on my phone, love it! I'm in week 5 now. Its really great. I'm doing a 5k in March and 10k in May, going to get the 5-10k app when i complete the 5k.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    It is definitely doable. I used runners world's smart trainer programs to go between 5 and 10k. My recommendation would be to run outside if the race is outside. The biggest problem is transitioning from a treadmill in a warm comfy gym to running outdoors.

Good Luck and enjoy.
  • Lyra89
    Lyra89 Posts: 674 Member
    My first 10k race was the FIRST TIME I'd ever successfully run 10k...the longest run I'd done in preparation was 7k. I didn't think I'd be able to run it all, I entered assuming that I'd walk most of it, but all the other runners motivated me and I did it in 1 hour! For my second 10k I only did one 10k run to train for it on top of three 5ks each week...and I improved my time by six minutes, finishing in 54 minutes!

This year I want to get much more into running and I'd love to do a sub 45 minute 10k race!
  • tegantheaverage
    tegantheaverage Posts: 142 Member
    Thanks for the encouragement! I've just signed up so hopefully I can manage it!
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Very doable as long as you commit yourself to running at least 3 times a week. I did the Bridge to 10K and had no trouble going from a 5k to a completely ran 10K in 6 weeks. Good Luck!
  • Honestly? If you can run a 5k, you can run a 10k...like NOW. TODAY. Seriously.....its 90% mental. If a bear were chasing you could you keep going? Of course! Training will make it EASIER but you could do it today.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Honestly? If you can run a 5k, you can run a 10k...like NOW. TODAY. Seriously.....its 90% mental. If a bear were chasing you could you keep going? Of course! Training will make it EASIER but you could do it today.

This.

Unless you are talking about hitting a certain time/pace, it's all mental and you can probably do it today. If you have a time/pace goal, then you may need to train a bit for that... but simply completing a 10k - you're good.
  • Absolutely! My first ever race was a 10k. I had been preparing for a 5k but decided I wanted more of a challenge so I bumped up to the 10k training just a few weeks prior. I'm not even a very good runner, had zero race experience, and still ran it all (no stops) in 56 min. You should be fine. Good luck!
  • sdreed25
    sdreed25 Posts: 208 Member
    I agree with dontletmeeatt, I went from 5k full running and just went sod it I'm doing 10k. I ran an easy steady 5k and then kept going, I was pretty much doing a fast walk for the last 2 k's but I did it and once that mental barrier had gone it got easier and easier to kept the same pace until now when I am looking to make my 10k faster
  • tegantheaverage
    tegantheaverage Posts: 142 Member
    Thanks everyone! When I did my first 5k I hadn't done much running at all and just decided I was going to run 5k so I can see how the same sort of mindset applies. Thanks again!
  • tabbydog
    tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
    Take one run each week as your "long" run and increase that by .6 miles each week. By race time you will be close enough to 5K that you will be able to do it easily.
  • newhabit
    newhabit Posts: 426 Member
    someone once told me if i can make it to 4 miles then i'm capable of doing a 10k. i believe that. i'm signing up for one soon!
  • phoenixgirl81
    phoenixgirl81 Posts: 309 Member
    We ran our first 5k after starting the c25k only 6 weeks before (nearly died week 1. Had never run before). The most I'd ever run was 3k. At the end of the 5k, my partner and I both said we could have kept going. We've signed up for a 10k in Feb. I'm running 3 days week and increasing my ks by 1 every week. This week is 3k per run, next week 4k, etc with the aim of getting to 8km per run the week of the big run and the first time running 10k being on race day. If you can run 5k you can run 10k