How to log exercise

Options
I am logging exercise by exact categories, for example 25 min running, 10 minutes strength training, 20 min cardio, etc but when i do hand weights i feel like it is more cardio than weights , how do others log their exercise???

Replies

• firegirlred
    firegirlred Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Heart rate monitor. It was well worth it for me.
  • michellejayne
    Options
    where do i find a heart rate monitor??
  • crosskat
    Options
    Heart rate monitor. It was well worth it for me.

What kind did you get?
  • kingking
    kingking Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Polar FR7 Heart rate monitor (do a web search). Shows me exactly how many calories I burn no matter what I'm doing (I even wear it in the pool).
  • clesmooth
    clesmooth Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar F6 and it is fantastic. I notice even when I go to the gym, normally you have to hold the sensors on Life Fitness equipment to get your heart rate. But with this watch, it sends the information to the machine. There is no need to hold the sensors. Do yourself a favor and get one. But be prepared to spend in the neighborhood of $109.00+ tax. Good luck.
  • ractayjon
    Options
    I personally dont "log" strength training. I do add it to the "notes" section so that I can refer back to it but I dont add it into the line by line.
    So, for me I log cardio exercise only - I do my exact calories from my heart rate monitor. I strongly suggest investing in one. I bought a polar f6 (about $100) from target and love it. I was over estimating all my exercise now I get an exact amount. The machines at the gym are always way high for me (by about 100 calories) and the numbers on MFP are always high too -- they are right for most people, I have gathered but for me they arent. (My metabolism must be slower then most)...anyway, Im off track. Strongly suggest looking into one...it isnt perfect but it will give you as close as us laymen can get to how much you actually burn.
  • firegirlred
    firegirlred Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I have two heart rate monitors. Crazy I know. I have the Polar F55 for gym, treadmill, indoor track use. I have the Garmin 405 for outdoor running use.

If you are going to start running, get the gps heart rate monitor. You'll be glad you did.